[Souldiamond] I've been busy.

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Saltwater1
Gnoll

[Souldiamond] I've been busy.

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10 am

I have indeed. A while back, I made a post called "Souldiamond: My Playground". It described my homebrew world, which was kind of bare bones at the time. But I have been working on Souldiamond for almost an entire year now, and I'm pleased with what I have so far. Below is a link to my "lore bible" of sorts, which is basically and encyclopedia of more or less finished articles on everything:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoD ... sp=sharing
But that thing is long, so I'm going to type up a little summery of the world here. The world of Souldiamond was at one point a place of war. The gods were at war with each other, using mortals as their legions and the Material Plane as their armies. The world was quite literally getting ripped apart. And then, the "Soul Diamond Event" happened. An archmage now known only as "Paragon" created a device called the Soul Diamond that could trap and harness the powers of the gods themselves. When activated, it did exactly that. Paragon used this newfound power to fix the material plane. Paragon did this by ripping the other planes into pieces and putting them where there were holes in the material plane. Feywild, Shadowfell, Elemental Planes, Nine Hells, all of it, ripped to pieces and cobbled together into a new patchwork world, named "Souldiamond" after the device. The original races rebuilt their civilizations, but strange things started to happen. New mysterious races started popped up, as well as terrifying new monsters. The pieces of the planes were magically affecting the flora and fauna of the world, mutating them into entirely new species. Beings who went to visit the Soul Diamond, the device that created the world, left with godlike powers. The Soul Diamond was randomly giving its leftover power to other creatures, creating demigods called "Lords". Now, civilization has been completely rebuilt. Empires have risen. And they want to destroy their rivals.

All dramatics aside, much of the conflict in Souldiamond comes from one of three sources. One is strange new monsters created by the planar corruptions. Many creatures, like giants or hellhounds for example, were created by planar corruption. It's like the Feywild and Shadowfell bleeding into the Material Plane on a larger scale. Secondly is the empires warring with each other. There are several empires (so far, there is the Three Elven Kingdoms, the Nadaarian Empire, the Scozian Empire, the Votrane Confederacy, the Dwarven Democracies, and Atlantis), and they all more or less hate each other, and often go to war or trivial things. Finally there are planar creatures who want revenge on the material plane. They have cause; their home planes were ripped to bits to fix the material plane, of course they want it gone. Demons, devils, fey, and aberrations are constantly invading or messing with mortals.

That's all for now. It's late here, and I'm half asleep anyway, so I'm not sure how good/informative this actually is. Feel free to ask for clarification, or questions in general.
Last edited by Saltwater1 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: I've been busy.

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:09 pm

*listens*

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm

"Yeeeeesss, tell me more..."
I think I'll go over the stuff I have determined. Some stuff isn't definite yet, like the nature of the empires, but I do have some things. For example, the races I'm using are:
  • -All of the races in the D&D 5e PHB are being used, and for now are more or less as listed (Details can be found in the above document). However...
  • -Halflings in my world are no longer the mundane cheerful sort. In my love for irony, halflings are instead a race of barbaric, proud people, who roam the untamed and uncivilized lands. They are known for their use of stealth in battle, as well as a powerful kind of magic unique to the halfling tribes; rune magic re-purposed for tattoos. This halfling tattoo magic is unknown to the other races of the world, and noblemen will pay huge amounts to get one of these tattoos. I am planning on making a custom warlock subclass and a magic item for making magical tattoos to go with this, but for now I just have a halfling tattoo artists background (again, D&D 5e):
  • -Outlander Variant Background: Tattoo Artist
    You are skilled in the art of drawing the spectral tattoos halflings are known for. Although you may not have the items needed to make your art all the time, and even if you are no longer with your tribe, you can make something beautiful and magical when you have the devices to. Your skills were taught to you by the a previous tattoo artist who took you as his apprentice.
    Limitation: Only halflings can take this background. Your DM may decide to lift this limit for their own campaign.
    Skill Proficiencies: Medicine, Arcana
    Tool Proficiencies: Halfling Tattoo Kit (see below)
    Languages: One of your choice
    Equipment: A scroll case with tattoo designs, a staff, a decorative tattoo done by your mentor to represent your coming of age, a set of traveller’s clothes, a kit for making mundane tattoos (several needles, a natural anesthetic, and a bottle of ink), and a pouch with 5 gp in it.
    Feature: Friend of the Tribes
    You are well respected among the halfling tribes. A halfling tribe that is not actively hostile to your tribe will provide equipment and scruples if you request it.
    Suggested Characteristics:
    The characteristics of the hermit, sage, or guild artisan work well here.
Other races include:
  • -Aasimar
  • -Shadar-Kai
  • -Genasi
  • -Ahool, a homebrew race. I don't have their statistics yet, but I have lore and stuff. Ahool are a race of wingless bat-like humanoid. Although they lack wings, they have several abilities to make up for it, including being able to make loud sonic screams to deafen their enemies and being able to easily climb on any surface (spider climb).
The races of the world are divided into two groups: "preworld" and "postworld", depending on whether or not they existed before the Soul Diamond event. Postworld races are the ones listed above (excluding the ahool and including Tieflings and Eladrin, which I'll get to later). These races were created by the patchwork pieces of the planes magically mutating "preworld" races, races that existed before the Soul Diamond event. Each different race is created by magic from different planes. Aasimar by the heavens, shadar-kai by the Shadowfell, Genasi by the Elemental Planes, and so on.

I'll get back later with some more information. Maybe some more work on the empires, maybe some new monsters I've been working on.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:07 pm

I don't like the Genasi as they're written, so I created my own version. I also have an alternate to the Aasimars, both because I don't like the name and because I dislike them being pigeonholed as natural Paladins (when the Tiefling is not automatically a Blackguard). In both cases, this was my effort to create something that felt more fitting to the concept, as well as better playability.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks, but I'm using 5th edition, which have pretty well made genasi/aasimar. At least, in my humble opinion. Anyway, a few monsters I've made/borrowed. Again, I'm using the D&D 5e rules, I can't speak for how well these would work elsewhere:
  • -Amikiri: Originally a yokai from Japanese mythology, amikiri are a type of vermin common in deserts, coastal areas, pieces of the 9 Hells, and in the 9 Hells themselves. They take the form of lobsters with bird-like heads, and can hover through innate levitation magic similar to a beholders. They like to cut the nets of fishermen with their sharp claws to get at the catch of the day. Any fishermen that try to intervene often get a poisonous nip on the hand for their trouble. I've decided that for now, amikiri take the statistics of flying snakes. Low CR, fly/swim speed, poison, it works well.
  • -Kamakiri: A further mutated version of the amikiri, kamakiris have lost the ability to levitate, but now have stocky humanoid legs and a knack for pyromancy. These monsters take the thieving nature of amikiri to its fullest, often pick-pocketing passersby to get food and trinkets, burning their target to cinders if caught. Kamakiri keeps small nests in sewers, hollowed out trees, or at the top of large cacti, where they store their horde of ill gotten gains. I would like to give these little guys a proper stat block, but taking a kobold and giving it fire magic (I'm thinking burning hands once or twice a day) will do it a pinch for now.
  • -Eladrin: While they aren't monsters in most other games, eladrin in Souldiamond are obsessive psychopaths led by the Lord of Misery, out to get revenge for a terrible tragedy that befell their kind. They are a race of madmen, inspired for my love of The Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, and The Dunwich Horror. They live in the shattered ruins of the Feywild, in a place called the Nightmare Grove, with their Lord. Every once and a while, the Lord of Misery will send an eladrin to the Material Plane to go on a killing spree, so he may feed on the misery it creates. Eladrin usually have the stats of spies or mages.
  • -Hidebehind: Sometimes, when an eladrin does very well on one of its killing sprees, the Lord of Misery will transform it into a strange, doglike creature called a hidebehind. These creatures have elven features, but with large canine ears and fangs, as well as a heightened sense of smell and hearing. A transformation into a hidebehind causes the eladrin's teleportation to go up to eleven, allowing it to teleport as soon as its foes look at it. They like to remain out of a foes sight by staying behind it, and teleporting out of their field of view when the foe looks around (hence the name). Hidebehinds love to steal weapons off of its prey, so it isn't uncommon to see a hidebehind wielding a greataxe or a spear. I don't have statistics for a hidebehind yet, as I'm still figuring out how to make its blink of the eye teleporting work for a lower level monster.
  • -Proxies: The mind controlled catatonic victims of the Great Old Ones, called the Realmbreakers in Souldiamond. Even after driven mad to the point of a coma by the power of the Far Realms, proxies are still forced to walk the earth as mindless killers in the service of the Realmbreakers. These proxies often wear strange decorations, like oddly painted masks or large hoods, and sometimes have strange mutations, often involving tentacles and extra eyes. They can sometimes disguise themselves as normal functioning humans, but it is only to further the Realmbreakers unknowable needs. Again, I'm still figuring out statistics for the proxies. Non-mutated proxies can just be normal NPCs in weird clothes, but I'll need to take it further with the whole tentacles thing. Formorians may be a good start.
I think that's all for today.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 am

Saltwater1 wrote:Thanks, but I'm using 5th edition, which have pretty well made genasi/aasimar.
The Aasimar is an optional race in the DMG, but where are the Genasi?
I don't have statistics for a hidebehind yet, as I'm still figuring out how to make its blink of the eye teleporting work for a lower level monster.
Probably just a racial advantage on hide checks, flavored as teleporting out of view. Remember that they thought 1/day Misty Step was enough of an advantage to be the Eladrin's only ability.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:50 am

Genasi come with Princes of the Apocalypse, one of the modules for 5e. You can also find a pdf online somewhere that has them, along with a few other races. As for the hidebehind, that could work. I was thinking it could be a reaction the monster has. When a creature looks at it, the hidebehind can teleport automatically, or it can teleport as a reaction as long it is within a creatures line of sight. Also, this isn't going to be a race. I'm planning on giving the hidebehind its own separate stat block, like other monsters have.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:36 am

I think it is probably worth you having a forum tag (probably "[Souldiamond]") at the start of the topic title for this and any other topics you create about your world, as it will help people find your topics, using the forum search system. :-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Alright, I'll fix it up.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Re: [Souldiamond] I've been busy.

Post by Saltwater1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:14 pm

Just a quick little note, I've realized that I don't have a proper Souldiamond's campaign guide. I'm going to be throwing together one of those later, in the style of The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, or those Plane Shift thingies. I'll put a link here later.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:26 am

Saltwater1 wrote:Just a quick little note, I've realized that I don't have a proper Souldiamond's campaign guide. I'm going to be throwing together one of those later, in the style of The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, or those Plane Shift thingies. I'll put a link here later.
Looking forward to this, it will certainly make it easier to digest setting information.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:20 pm

I am almost done! I just have to write up a bit about aasimar and half-orcs, proofread it a bit, and then I'm done.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized I have like three other key things that need doing. But, I am almost done.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:43 am

Saltwater1 wrote:I am almost done! I just have to write up a bit about aasimar and half-orcs, proofread it a bit, and then I'm done.

Edit: Never mind. I just realized I have like three other key things that need doing. But, I am almost done.
:cool: Colour me excited!! :cool:
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Right, so my first draft of the DM's guide (I wanted to post it as a PDF but I couldn't figure it out so... yeah).
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ywv ... sp=sharing

In here are descriptions of the worlds creation, how magic and religion work, empires of Souldiamond, how the races and classes should be used, and a bestiary explaining the major monstrous threats. I would like to stress that this is a first draft, a W.I.P.. I still have many things I need to add, like some monsters and classes I need to stat up. I also dropped a couple of races because I couldn't really fit them into the world.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, need for clarification, etc., please post them. Please tell me if the length of the document is okay for a setting guide. I don't know if it's too short or too long. I have more things I could add, but I'm worried it's going to end up as a two hundred page book. I need all the help I can get on this.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:12 pm

First glance...it looks good. If you plan to make this reference usable offline as well, I suggest adding a Table of Contents.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:39 am

A few added project things. First, I have a sort of master document I'm working on. It'll be organized properly, not like the encyclopedia document I had before, and hopefully will be larger then both the encyclopedia and "Plane Shift" documents I have here. Full descriptions of the individual Lords, minor races not mentioned in the Plane Shift, bits on major cities and towns of the world, and hopefully a map (I have a map, it's just not something I think is worthy to be shown to the world). I'm also planning on a two-page player's guide, something I can hand out during character creation, but that'll be once I have everything sorted out. Finally, after all that is done, I'm planning on writing adventures set in Souldiamond, and probably published on the DM's Guild or DriveThruRPG.

As always, advice from seasoned world builders would be appreciated. Cheers.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”