D&D based on 15 & 16th Century

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

D&D based on 15 & 16th Century

Post by lwhitehead » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi I would like to create an official D&D world based on 15 & 16th Century setting, can anyone help me out?.

LW

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: D&D based on 15 & 16th Century

Post by willpell » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:26 pm

You might want to be a bit more specific. That's a rather broad goal, and should probably be broken down into a number of pointed questions.

If you really meant the word "official" there, look up DM's Guild and the Open Gaming License. One or the other of those will likely apply.

Also look at Pathfinder, whose Golarion setting might already have a lot of what you're looking for, since it seems to aim for a milieu which is significantly more recent than the medieval D&D norm (eg they have guns).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:36 pm

You can't make an "offiical D&D world" - not without a licensing agreement with Wizards of the Coast. But you can make a world that is compatible with 5th Edition D&D. And, with the 5e OGL being released under the SRD, you can even make a commercial world that is compatible with 5e D&D. But you can't call it a "D&D world", if you are going to release it under the OGL. The OGL does not allow you to use WotC trademarks. And "D&D" is a trademark owned by Wizards of the Coast.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:47 pm

willpell wrote:If you really meant the word "official" there, look up DM's Guild and the Open Gaming License. One or the other of those will likely apply.
DMs Guild and the Open Game Licence are two totally different beasts.

DMs Guild allows for "D&D" branded content to be sold, but it has to be 5th Edition and you can not invent your own campaign settings and sell them under DMs Guild.

The Open Game Licence is a licence that applies to multiple roleplaying systems (including the 5th Edition SRD, the 3rd Edition SRD, the Revised 3.5 SRD, the Pathfinder Reference Document and many more). You can publish a ton of stuff under the OGL. You can't claim compatability with trademarks, if you use it, but aside from that, you have a ton of freedom to publish what you want with it.
willpell wrote:Also look at Pathfinder, whose Golarion setting might already have a lot of what you're looking for, since it seems to aim for a milieu which is significantly more recent than the medieval D&D norm (eg they have guns).
Pathfinder is a great choice for anyone publishing content they want to aim at an existing market. Although nobody can publish "official Pathfinder worlds".
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:You can't make an "offiical D&D world" - not without a licensing agreement with Wizards of the Coast. But you can make a world that is compatible with 5th Edition D&D. And, with the 5e OGL being released under the SRD, you can even make a commercial world that is compatible with 5e D&D. But you can't call it a "D&D world", if you are going to release it under the OGL. The OGL does not allow you to use WotC trademarks. And "D&D" is a trademark owned by Wizards of the Coast.
Boy, it sure is fun to split hairs and pick nits, isn't it? At least the legal profession seems to think so.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Well I need help with my world though, Gods and Magic in 17th Century world how would one go one doing it?.

And what about AD&D 2nd rules can't I create in using those rules.

LW

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:13 pm

lwhitehead wrote:Well I need help with my world though, Gods and Magic in 17th Century world how would one go one doing it?.

And what about AD&D 2nd rules can't I create in using those rules.

LW
I'd suggest you look at the historical AD&D 2e sourcebook "A Mighty Fortress" which gives a good overview of the time period, and some of the challenges that a gaming adaptation implies; it's a tall order indeed.
I don't think you can publish anything explicitly for AD&D, unless you manage to frame stuff in the context of the OGL (like OSRIC and other retroclones have done.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Medieval Player's Manual & Eternal Rome from Green Ronin should be good inspiration.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:41 am

Why Eternal Rome? This review seems to say it caps out with the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:10 am

Seemed like a good idea at the time.
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”