Napoleonic D&D world setting

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Napoleonic D&D world setting

Post by lwhitehead » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 am

This setting and world is based on the Napoleonic era and War, but I have Problems

First off the Gods in standard D&D setting each Race has there own set, But there is a New One Bonaparte

Secondly are the Nations that took part in the Napoleonic War

England: Human

France: Elves (the High Elves are the original bluebloods of this French like kingdom, this world's Napoleon is Half Elf, Half Drow and Half Grey.

Third: Magick what type of Magick would be use in this Napoleonic Setting.

LW

mindszenty
Orc

Re: Napoleonic D&D world setting

Post by mindszenty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:18 pm

This can be approached in many ways.

First is standard D&D setting, but in Napoleonic-era analogue. So there are standard D&D races, setting probably have polytheism religion(s) instead of monotheistic Christianity, there is spectacular magic, plenty of ancient ruins to adventure in, etc. What we can do with this? It is easiest to take Greyhawk or (more familiar) Forgotten Reamls and advance them in time (breaking Medieval Stasis, when needed). It can be literally adapted D&D setting (e.g. Cormyr grew corrupt, had revolutions, then grew into Empire) or just resemble them in much details, providing players with familiar foundation while introducing new ideas. What we can do in this approach? Enlightenment and rationality can easily be new religion and pantheon, with it deities personifying Reason, Freedom, Justice, and so on. New Emperor might be on a path toward divinity, or already demideity. Or he can be "just" high-level hero. Great heroes need fitting adversaries, so other sides of war must have comparable powers, also there can be monsters threat (stand-in for natural disasters such as famine and epidemics).

I personally wouldn't made nations mono-racial, but you may do as you please. Considering France (or France-analogue), if high elves are bluebloods, when who commoners are - humans, green elves or any other option? The three principal opponents of Napoleon were England, Holy Roman Empire/Prussia and Russia; if England is humans (I would add halflings also), then who are others? Germany is often stereotypically associated with dwarves (good industry + dwarves coming from german legends), plus Gnomes of Switzerland :) Russia is often stereotyped as evil (though this have much to do with a Cold War, and that stereotype did not exist at the time of Napoleon) and/or savage, so simple straightforward option to have Russian-analogue be populated with some monstrous races - orcs, bugbears, what you'll see fit. However, considering the size of each country, there should be much diversity within.

Another approach is to take Europe as it was, and change just enough details to make it fantasy. Monotheistic faiths are still dominant, but their faithful can openly work miracles. Reason have its powers too - said to derived from deep understanding of Nature, but almost super-natural in effect. It is harder to introduce fantasy races in such a world - they might lurk in hidden places of the world, dwarves having cities hidden deep within earth and elves travelling with gypsy bands - but they still are involved in the wars and politics. Nobles may have elven and draconic blood secretly.

In both options, magic can be just as in D&D, so you have fireball-throwing wizards instead of cannons and clerics staffing field hospitals. You can bring magic closer to real-world technology, taking hints from Eberron, or you can say that ancient magic and rising technology are opposites, as in Arcanum.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:59 pm

The Tech level is at the Napoleonic era, Iron Cannons and Flintlock Firearms. Alchemy and Artificers for the Science,

Now on the Gods Front there are National type of Gods Bonaparte is the Second but Gloriana is English like nation Goddess Deity is the First,

This is a Black Powder Fantasy setting

LW

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Um these Nations have there own God overlooking them,

Gloriana for my English nation, a Baba Yaga like Goddess for Imperial Russia like nation,

Bonaparte is new and he wants create an Empire were he is worshiped only,

LW

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Can people help me out finding 18th Century and Napoleonic era Kits for my setting,

LW

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:41 pm

lwhitehead wrote:Can people help me out finding 18th Century and Napoleonic era Kits for my setting
Kits? You are using AD&D 2E to build this setting? If so the Historical Reference books probably have some kits that will work for your setting.
In affectus veritá.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:53 pm

You might look at the Temeraire novels by Naomi Novik. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:16 pm

Sorry I'm used to AD&D 2nd version rules and system, not 5th version, yes I know of the Dragon in Napoleonic war book series.

LW

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:03 am

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell also took place during the Napoleonic Wars.

There's nothing wrong with using 2nd edition if that's the version of D&D you're most comfortable with. Of the Historical Reference series, A Mighty Fortress would be the most useful resource for playing during the Napoleonic era (it's set 200 years earlier, but has some useful material on using firearms and different fencing styles that could be adapted to later eras). Masque of the Red Death takes place in the 19th century and would thus be even closer to the era you want for this.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sat May 13, 2017 11:23 pm

Well folks is this a good idea for a D&D setting that would some day might become official?,

LW

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 pm

I tried running similar games mixing fantasy and real world history and I found very difficult to avoid pitfalls leading down the way to players' nationalism / racism / chauvinism / sectarism etc.
I suggest you put a lot of care and attention on this aspect of the game as not all players can have the same reactions in some delicate situations.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 14, 2017 2:28 am

lwhitehead wrote:Well folks is this a good idea for a D&D setting that would some day might become official?
Define what you mean by 'official'.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm

I mean by Official is a published setting by WOTC current owners of D&D,

LW

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 am

So How do I avoid those Pitfalls that are mention in a reply to this idea,

LW

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

lwhitehead wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:47 pm
I mean by Official is a published setting by WOTC current owners of D&D,
In this case, you can't use AD&D 2e as the basis of your setting, since WotC focuses on the current version of the rules.

That said, contrary to the 3e era, the WotC policies towards publishing material from third parties are now essentially limited to a few fixed settings. Briefly, WotC allows third parties to publish content through the DM´s Guild (see the rules here: https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Questions ), which allows generic, Forgotten Realms, and Ravenloft material. New settings are not allowed. Thus, if your interest is having your setting published by WotC, you're out of luck -- that only happened once, during the 3e era, when WotC had a competition to select a new setting, and Eberron's creator was hired through this process.

The current process is rather different. Within DM's Guid, authors of popular/high quality third party material there get promoted to an "élite" circle who get early access to WotC material, and will therefore be able to create additional material that is more closely tied to the WotC releases. It is reasonable (but not proven yet) that WotC might in future draw from this pool of authors for their own works.

So, your options are relatively limited:
  • You can give up your idea of having the setting published by WotC, and choose a different way to get it published.
  • You can retool your setting as a Ravenloft domain of dread, and publish it (and material for it) through DM's Guild.
GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:58 am

lwhitehead wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 am
So How do I avoid those Pitfalls that are mention in a reply to this idea,
The easiest way is to create a fantasy world that uses Napoleonic era tropes, but does not directly reflect the nations. This is done in many settings -- e.g., in Mystara the Royaume de Renardy and the Kingdom of Bellayne are based off France and England, with dog-like and cat-like humanoids as the inhabitants, but are not directly France and England.
The Warhammer Fantasy setting also has a similar structure, etc.

GP

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”