How to design new monsters

Roll your own. Dice, that is...

Moderator: Idabrius

How to design new monsters

Postby sam » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:06 am

I will first design a base point, and then use its characteristics to design a variety of derivatives.For example, there are dragons in my world, dragon flame is a weapon with curse nature,so the creatures killed by the flame have the opportunity to become undead called "dragon servant".The human servant is like a body that is charred to twist, with some strange reptile characteristics;And servants that transformed from other creatures will be different.And "dragon" is actually changed from human, elf, etc;They accepted the gift from the god of supreme,his advocates altruism is meaningless, the goal of each individual is to "destroy", you can only live by destroying others.The dragon changed from human and the dragon changed from elf will be different.And there is a clear connection between them in the background,I like this.

If you do not want to carry old monsters, how would you design monsters of own world?
sam
Hobgoblin

Re: How to design new monsters

Postby willpell » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:53 am

This sounds like a neat concept, and I'm also interested in homebrew monsters as a general idea, I'll be watching with interest. If you do a forum game in this setting (and it's in a ruleset that I can deal with), I'm definitely in.
willpell
White Dragon

Postby sam » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 am

willpell wrote:This sounds like a neat concept, and I'm also interested in homebrew monsters as a general idea, I'll be watching with interest. If you do a forum game in this setting (and it's in a ruleset that I can deal with), I'm definitely in.

I put ideas in the txt files when I have free time. :D I believe that my world is improving at a slow pace, perhaps will be releas in any way,at the future.

I think Dragonlance and Ravenloft also used the same design,they made a lot of vampire variants and dragon-like creatures.I think this way has always been feasible,but if there is a greater difference between these variants, it will be more interesting.
sam
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 pm

sam wrote:If you do not want to carry old monsters, how would you design monsters of own world?

In Spelljammer, the suggestion to the GM was to take the stats from an existing monster and to use a totally different description.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Homebrew Worlds