[Hammerfall] Hammerfall Megathread

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Distorted Humor
Goblin

[Hammerfall] Hammerfall Megathread

Post by Distorted Humor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 am

Hi all,

Not that I am not already have a few too many irons in the fire, but some fun stuff happened.

For years I developed and ran a home-brew world called Hammerfall It was inspired by both the normal stuff (Tolkien) but also Elder Scrolls games (As I played Morrowind a ton in the early 2000s). However a few years ago I had a hard drive crash, and except some tidbits posted online, Hammerfall was lost to the mist of time. To be blunt, it wasn't that good of a world, just one with some cool ideas. This week I gained access to a Zip drive, and checked some old disks I had. Suddenly, in a surprise, one of the disks had a directory called Hammerfall, and in it was all my notes on hammerfall. :o

Looking though it the maps where bad, drawn in Microsoft paint, with a unsteady mouse. The writing was poor, and everything is in 1st edition, which I no longer play that much. But in it is many great ideas, some that have been reused many times my myself, and others that I have forgotten about but still have a "Wow, that was a good idea". Also, it has some REALLY awful ideas. It also had ideas that were far too close to the material that inspired it.

Looking though these files I have come to a conclusion. I might have to burn down some of the ideas but Hammerfall will rise like a phoenix.

Maps: I am redoing the map completely. I found a really nice map of a "drowned Antarctica" that has enough of the key areas that it will be more then workable, and it is under a permissive creative common licence that allows use as long as it credited as source. Will post once I added some key rivers.

Adventure areas: There is a number of areas that can be explored however I will at first only go into detail in one region, while giving a outline of the other areas.

Northern Wastes: This is the area north of the Icewind river. Humans in this area are mostly Nordlanders, and range from civilized frontier towns and cities to untamed men and woman who kneel to no one. The area has no real government outside of the occasional local council, a petty warlord, or a family leader. Major towns include Ilford, Bayers Hearth, and Jennick Keep.

Empire of Man : This is a major power in Hammerfall, and at one time the empire (officially the 2nd Empire of Man) ruled almost the entire landmass in Hammerfall setting, however due to a civil war the empire lost many of its non-core provinces, however culturally it has impacted the entire area. Major Cities include Pria (AKA the Imperial City), Yew, Zelkor, Highrock, and Lune.

Free Cities: A series of city states located on the long Moon Sea, each city state has it own way of doing things. Major city states include Hammerfall, Blackgate, Eastpoint, Kri, Trotterdam, Stonegate, Hellios, and Aydtum. This area will be the first focus of development.

Great Lakes Region : This region is dominated by a series of great freshwater lakes. Major Cities and towns include Ullum, Rykar, The Spire, and Oakmont.

Elvenhome: A island of elves. Major city is called Elvenhome

Serpent Isle: A mostly uninhabited (at least by humans and demi-humans) island, full of fell beasts and their lairs.

The Ashlands: Home of the dark elves, the Ashlands is a place of amazing beauty, rich lands, and some of the oddest creatures and land. The great Volcano Mal Rugatoa dumps ash in this land, and it causes both men and beast to be distorted over time.

The Alashon Isles: The area to the south, filled with their own culture. Very swashbuckling

Eastern Marches: A lightly settled area that one is just as likely to find a band of nomadic Halflings as a good inn. Home of many ruins from yesteryear.

Zug: while humanoids can be found in many places, Zug is the one place ruled by them.

Note: one area I do not know what to do with, so I may add a new area.

Races: and cultures
Humans: Nordlanders, Imperials, Alashon Islanders, Sudlanders, Men of the East, Free City Folk
Elves: High, wood, and Dark (but not drow), two types of elves are now extinct.
Dwarfs: Exist, but have a background of being carved from stone.
Halflings: Western Halflings are very traditional. Eastern Halflings are nomadic hunter gatherers.

Two other race-classes may exist, just deciding if I want to include them or not (nontraditional)

Well that is at least a start..... :ugeek:

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: [Hammerfall] Hammerfall Megathread

Post by timemrick » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 am

Distorted Humor wrote:But in it is many great ideas, some that have been reused many times my myself, and others that I have forgotten about but still have a "Wow, that was a good idea".
I had much the same "Hey, I had some really good ideas back then!" feeling when I recently spent some time transcribing session summaries I wrote up for a three-year-long fantasy GURPS campaign I ran a couple decades ago. It's always nice to remind yourself that you've improved with time, but that you didn't completely suck back then, either. ;)

Good luck with your project!
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Distorted Humor
Goblin

Post by Distorted Humor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 am

Thanks.

Now I am debating between two maps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxCKB ... mdWZzlma28

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxCKB ... U4ycm5vVWM

The map will guide the development needless to say.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 am

Distorted Humor wrote:Now I am debating between two maps.

Personally, I prefer the "drowned Antarctica" map to the one of Greece. Any time that you have a map with recognizable real-world geography, it's going to bring certain expectations based on that location. I didn't recognize the Antarctic map until I reread your post more closely, and even if players do recognize it, it's been transformed enough to imply "this is very unlike the world you know."
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Distorted Humor
Goblin

Post by Distorted Humor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:58 am

timemrick wrote:
Distorted Humor wrote:Now I am debating between two maps.

Personally, I prefer the "drowned Antarctica" map to the one of Greece. Any time that you have a map with recognizable real-world geography, it's going to bring certain expectations based on that location. I didn't recognize the Antarctic map until I reread your post more closely, and even if players do recognize it, it's been transformed enough to imply "this is very unlike the world you know."
Good point.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”