[Cthulhu] World Serpent

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Cthulhu] World Serpent

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

In this post there is the mention of Conan world being connected to the Cthulhu mythos. I was unaware previously that so many worlds were connected to it, but after reading that it sunk in.

Now the reason I am making this thread here in the Homebrew forum is because I had a thought and it is very well a homebrew thought. Does the world serpent, Jörmungandr, appear in many of these settings? I am think that maybe it is a living incarnation of the veil between realities, linking all of them via its presence. What do you think?
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Cthulhu] World Serpent

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm

H.P. Lovecraft's Yig, sometimes identified with Howard's Set, is analogous to Jormungandr.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:In this post there is the mention of Conan world being connected to the Cthulhu mythos. I was unaware previously that so many worlds were connected to it, but after reading that it sunk in.
Howard, Lovecraft, Clark Ashton Smith, and others regularly borrowed elements (books, races, gods, lost kingdoms, etc.) from their friends' stories to name-drop into their own work. Lovecraft was probably a bit more systematic about it than the others, as his canvas was more cosmic in scope. For example, in The Shadow Out of Time, the narrator spends time conversing with other "guests" displaced from their own times, many of which are obviously references to Howard's Conan and Kull stories, and to Smith's Hyperborea and other lost worlds.
Angel Tarragon wrote:Does the world serpent, Jörmungandr, appear in many of these settings? I am think that maybe it is a living incarnation of the veil between realities, linking all of them via its presence. What do you think?
What you're describing is very close to the "coils of Yig" cosmology from the Freeport setting. :ugeek:
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 pm

timemrick wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:Does the world serpent, Jörmungandr, appear in many of these settings? I am think that maybe it is a living incarnation of the veil between realities, linking all of them via its presence. What do you think?
What you're describing is very close to the "coils of Yig" cosmology from the Freeport setting. :ugeek:
Thanks for that, Tim. Finally bit the bullet and bought the new campaign book that came out earlier this year. Can't wait to see what has changed, what's been added and the 'new' history lore. Also excited to learn more about Yig.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote: Thanks for that, Tim. Finally bit the bullet and bought the new campaign book that came out earlier this year. Can't wait to see what has changed, what's been added and the 'new' history lore. Also excited to learn more about Yig.
I assume you mean the Pathfinder hardcover? Which is actually 2 years old now. It IS a really lovely book (as is the Freeport Bestiary that came out this year). But yeah, that $75 price tag can be a bit daunting. I hope you enjoy it!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 am

timemrick wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote: Thanks for that, Tim. Finally bit the bullet and bought the new campaign book that came out earlier this year. Can't wait to see what has changed, what's been added and the 'new' history lore. Also excited to learn more about Yig.
I assume you mean the Pathfinder hardcover? Which is actually 2 years old now. It IS a really lovely book (as is the Freeport Bestiary that came out this year). But yeah, that $75 price tag can be a bit daunting. I hope you enjoy it!
Odd. Amazon lists it as having been released earlier this year. I got it for $54 shipped, so good deal. The Freeport Bestiary is the next book I want to get in my collection.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 pm

Hmm, odd, I didn't know they made it in paperback. Maybe that's why the date's different? (Let me know if it is actually paperback.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:08 pm

timemrick wrote:Hmm, odd, I didn't know they made it in paperback. Maybe that's why the date's different? (Let me know if it is actually paperback.)
It's probably a screw-up in the listing. I'll have it in my hands no later than tomorrow night, I'll let you know.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:12 am

timemrick wrote:Hmm, odd, I didn't know they made it in paperback. Maybe that's why the date's different? (Let me know if it is actually paperback.)
Just got it. It's hardcover, so that is definitely an error in the listing of the product. Very pleased with my purchase.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:44 am

Received the Freeport Bestiary in the post yesterday. Quite enjoying it.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Received the Freeport Bestiary in the post yesterday. Quite enjoying it.
I'm glad to hear it! I had fun giving it a last-minute editing pass. (I just wish GR had spelled my name right on the credits page... :roll: )

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”