World map for a campaign?

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Ashtagon
Hierarch

World map for a campaign?

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:21 pm

I've been working on this project for about a week and a half now. Any idea what should live on the southern continent?
Oronce Fine 1531 Orthographic.jpg
Oronce Fine 1531 Orthographic.jpg (125.77 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: World map for a campaign?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 am

How about these? :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am

Terra Australis features several ferocious and bizarre inhabitants: http://www.cfzaustralia.com/2011/08/ter ... ffins.html
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Beautiful map, Ashtagon. :D

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Bah. What kind of game designer would just use old world maps maybe with a little reskinning? :lol:

(Tongue planted firmy in cheek, here, in case you missed it)

Seriously? Southern continent? It's gotta have Dingo-men.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:22 pm

In case anyone hadn't guessed, this is a re-projection of a real world map; specifically, Oronce Fine's map from 1531 (source here). It is a Bonne projection, interrupted at the equator to make what is probably the only double-cordiform world map that wasn't projected that way as an ironic gesture. As was common at the time, the zero meridian was set not at Greenwich, but on Corvo Island in the Azores, which at the time was considered suitable for the purpose because it represented the westernmost point in the Old World. The other notable oddities relate to geography...
  • The Caspian Sea is much bigger, and rounder.
  • There is a "Belor Desert" in Siberia (or possibly Canada). I've only seen this map label on one other map (by Ptolomaeus in 1548), and googling it gives no hits. I'd love to know what they thought it was.
  • The west coast of "Asia" is essentially the Americas. "China" (labelled as Manji and Catay) is roughly where the Rio Grande is. Colombus missed China by that much.
  • The Misissippi has been discovered, here labelled as R. de S. Spie. (Río del Espíritu Santo)
  • Oh yeah, and Australia-Antarctica is just weird.
Roughly speaking, I had intended for fantasy counterpart cultures to be everywhere humans lived, with demihumans and humanoids present and either integrated or alongside humans, with roles that would vary depending on how the counterpart culture is portrayed. The exceptions being South America, which I had earmarked for being dominanted by dinosaurs and a lizard race, and Antarctica, which I'm not sure what to do with. My first thought was to place the demihumans civilisations that lack true counterparts in human culture (so something similar to Mystara's Rockhome, Alfheim, and Wendar, which aren't closely tied to any real-world culture). But roos could be interesting too. Penguins might be tricky, because the continent is large enough that the coasts won't be suitable for penguins due to warmth, and the centre won't due to lack of ocean.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 am

Note that the Galapagos penguin lives right on the equator (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banded_penguin)
and the Australia penguins (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eudyptula) also live in warm waters.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 pm

That's true about those two species of penguins. But let's face it, if you tell someone that penguins are a playable race and their homeland is not-Antarctica, they're going to expect them to be a cold-adapted race that can swim. This continent's geography doesn't really allow for that.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 am

Well yes but you just cast them as bird people you can tweak them as you prefer. Intelligent marsupials could also be appropriate, probably you can find plenty of inspiration here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsupial
Then it's just a matter of how much you want these races to be recognizable. If you say "Penguin man" to the players is different than saying "a human sized bird creature with small black and white feathers which from a distance look like fur". The first approach is probably easier, the second more reasonable, as nothing says a fantasy world should have the same animals we have.
Still probably a balance between the two approach is better.
In general the real world, and its past ages, have so much different creatures which it is hard to create something strange and alien which has not already appeared at some point in the history of Earth.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”