Victorian D&D setting

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Victorian D&D setting

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 am

Hi folks I would like to create a Victorian D&D setting that one day I hope will be Official, the Timeframe 1850 to 1870's

So there will be a Human British Empire, a French nation of Elves. Some might point to Iron Kingdoms RPG or Gothic Earth,

So how will Magick effect 19th century Steam Power and tech?,

What type of Gods would they be?,

what type of AD&D kits are suitable for this setting?,

LW

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: Victorian D&D setting

Post by shesheyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm confused. Why are the French elves but the British humans? Will you be using the map of Europe or an original map?

This could be perceived as an anglo-saxon centric view of the world were only the Brits are humans and others nations are «humanoids/monsters». Replacing entire humans cultures with alternate humanoid cultures is not a good path to go down.

I would suggest another approach. Use the map of Europe, keep human nations but redraw the borders to integrate fantasy race kingdoms as if they had always been there.
Last edited by shesheyan on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm curious - are you more focused on making a 16th century or a Victorian setting? The technology is quite different (and not just "add gunpowder"). Is it the political situation in Europe that interests you most about them? Do you plan on using real-world geography, or a fantastical approximation of it, or something completely different?

Asking how magic will affect the development is like asking how technology affected real world development. How much magic, and what kind of magic?

GURPS Fantasy has a lot of good (and system-neutral) advice and questions to be answered on how to develop a fantasy setting.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:14 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm
I'm confused. Why are the French elves but the British humans? Will you be using the map of Europe or an original map?

This could be perceived as an anglo-saxon centric view of the world were only the Brits are humans and others nations are «humanoids/monsters». Replacing entire humans cultures with alternate humanoid cultures is not a good path to go down.

I would suggest another approach. Use the map of Europe, keep human nations but redraw the borders to integrate fantasy race kingdoms as if they had always been there.
You might be assuming a little too much here. He only mentioned two countries, Britain and France. He didn't mention anything else about any of the other European nations.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:51 pm

You could take the Victoriana approach. Humans, Eldren (Elves), Dwarves, Halflings, Ogres, Beastmen, Orcs, Hobgoblins, etc. All are considered "Part of the Greater Concept of Man" to one degree or another. Humans are still the majority species, but it's more about your Social Standing than your Race in this particular time period in Europe. Magic is still in use, but restricted to those who can afford to pay for a license. Unlicensed Magic use is a criminal offence possibly leading to your death (unless you're rich). It's a Monotheistic Setting with a twist (look it up, it's ten to three on a saturday afternoon, and I really can't be arsed to type it all out ;) ). Just my tuppence worth.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:00 pm

Darkanth wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:51 pm
You could take the Victoriana approach. Humans, Eldren (Elves), Dwarves, Halflings, Ogres, Beastmen, Orcs, Hobgoblins, etc. All are considered "Part of the Greater Concept of Man" to one degree or another. Humans are still the majority species, but it's more about your Social Standing than your Race in this particular time period in Europe. Magic is still in use, but restricted to those who can afford to pay for a license. Unlicensed Magic use is a criminal offence possibly leading to your death (unless you're rich). It's a Monotheistic Setting with a twist (look it up, it's ten to three on a saturday afternoon, and I really can't be arsed to type it all out ;) ). Just my tuppence worth.
Excellent idea ! I might buy that from Cubicle 7 instead of Middle-Earth 5e.

Victoriana :
http://cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:06 pm

You might take a look at MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, a sourcebook for Ravenloft that (I think) was roughly the era you are looking to replicate. There may be some useful stuff there.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Darkanth
Bugbear

Post by Darkanth » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm

finarvyn wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:06 pm
You might take a look at MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, a sourcebook for Ravenloft that (I think) was roughly the era you are looking to replicate. There may be some useful stuff there.
Masque is set more towards the end of the 19th century, 1890ish if memory serves, but is otherwise an excellent setting to pilfer from at your leisure.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Wolsung steam fantasy could possible source of inspiration :
http://www.steampulpfantasy.com

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”