[Whiteleaf] Project Archive Unsorted

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
willpell
Black Dragon

[Whiteleaf] Project Archive Unsorted

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:36 pm

At this point, I am officially giving up on being able to get my Whiteleaf project done in the way I wanted. Rather than let it come to naught entirely, I will begin uploading EVERYTHING I created for it which hasn't yet been published; it will be in no particular order, although I will try to put the better stuff up first, rather than just dumping everything in no order. I invite anyone who has an interest to take this project and run with it, using anything that interests them for their own works.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: [Whiteleaf] Project Archive Unsorted

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:44 pm

If you dedicate your life to eliminating a thing, you tend to help that thing continue to exist. Your opposition is galvanized by your persecution of them, and they fight to the last man when they might otherwise have quietly faded away.

There's a big difference between refusing to pick a side, and wanting to have it both ways. The opposite of neutral is not still neutral... It's something that partakes of volatile opposites, not allowing them to merge or cancel out. I have a huge problem with those who won't obey the law, but reap the prosperity of a law abiding society, as well as those who enforce laws inconsistently because of their selfish whims. Yet avoiding such fallacies in human behavior is as impossible as making ice catch fire. The opposite of Nature is less commonly beneficial than it is, yet such is certainly possible.

Thomas Arthur Vance, the Wizard King of Doubters

Horsemichael, Horsefax, and similar place names abound in the Phillipi region.

Temples of a particular subset of gods are known as Kirks, and it's not uncommon to find a chaplain at the capstan.

Enzo and Enya.

The Flour Power Tower commemorates the pre-imperial Miller's Guild, whose functional windmills (designed to look like giants) were among the first major works of architecture in the human era.

The Selesnial Chorus is essentially the Borg with a better public image. A rare example of a politically powerful non-theistic church, Selesnya draws divine power from both its membership and the global population, allowing the loose equivalent of several Divine Ranks to be divided evenly across the entire global congregation.

Magic item "technology" is somewhat standardized in the Empire, with well-studied techniques for reliably harnessing the wildly individual nature of magic in fairly predictable ways. Etching celestial sigils and performing particular rites are just two of the main ways to achieve these transmutations. Though a random factor always applies, and thus no two creations are quite alike, many fall into a sufficiently measurable range that you can walk into a weapon shop, ask for a Sharp Fire Javelin of the Sentinel, and walk out with more or less what you expected. Further enchanting such items often causes them to mutate into truly original artifacts, but they tend to start out as simply artisanal tools crafted by a skilled workman with something of a blueprint to follow.
One particularly well-honed aspect of the craft is the creation of "sockets", which are mystical bonding nodes built into certain items, allowing for the semi permanent affixing of gems, carbuncles, runestones, and odder such "plugin" wonders (the idea of commonplace miracles makes sense to a self aware Whiteleavian, much as it does to a few Earthlings). Of particular note are the eight known types of Gem, each of which opens onto a particular Demi Elemental realm.

An undercurrent of faux technological semblance underlies many of the lawful good gods and forces. The ur examples are equivalence of Primus and Zaphkiel, which are essentially supercomputers, residing in realms near absolute zero which allow neuroelectricity to surge at extreme speed, allowing a visitor subjective minutes of hypercognition in the second or two before they freeze to death. Being immune to cold, the Watcher always thinks at lightning speed, to the point that anyone who tried to attack him would have retroactively been smothered in the crib within the time he needed to formulate this plan.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”