Windswept World - A World Building Exercise

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Windswept World - A World Building Exercise

Post by Chimpman »

Geoff, there has been some great stuff going on here - sorry I haven't had time to comment. I really like the Gartaenia write-up. I'm thinking that the Followers of Corammon could have wider reaching effects as well, possibly finding some fertile ground in Lorance Cyrshenta, Wyren, and Vystall.
Seer of Yhog wrote:John - You know what we could use right now? A version of the WW map with climate zones.
This I have and can post (at least in the next few days). I've played around with Fractal Terrains enough to get it to generate something I halfway like - though I don't think it's completely perfect. I think we could use it for a very broad/high level overview of the climate zones and then tweak to our liking.

Another thing I've been thinking of doing is taking some ideas from the Sandboxing threads ([Planetology] Bat in the Attic "Sandbox" tutorialsand [Planetology] Sandboxing Plata) and using some of them to fine tune what Fractal Terrains generates. One major deviation that I'd make from the standard steps is to generate our own Wind Pattern template. I'm thinking something that radiates outward from the Crater Sea.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Cool - glad you like it! I see the Followers of Corammon having the same impact on the humans of WW as the Reformation. The Emerald Church would see itself as the "religion of Men", its gods and legends are thought to be passed down from the stars themselves. Because of what is written in the holy texts, many humans used to believe that they really were a completely separate people - on the world but not of it. This produced attitudes that caused a number of unfortunate wars.

Over time, various movements arose, and the Emerald Church began to fragment. Each Shard Kingdom essentially has its own church now, with its own doctrines, but most of them still acknowledge descent from the Emerald Church, and many of the core beliefs and values are the same (we came from the stars, etc). The Church of Arghenta is probably the closest to the Emerald Church, and the Lorantine Church is quite distant - probably has a few Wolfkin rites mixed in there, by now.

The Followers of Corammon are significant because they reject a core tenet of the faith - that humans are fundamentally a separate species. Needless to say, other races would much rather deal with a Follower, or even a moderate/reformed Churchman, than an orthodox Emerald Churchman. The Emerald Principality, that bastion of mankind, would probably outlaw the Followers.

Anyhow, some thoughts.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, somehow I managed to find time to upload this last night:

Again, I'm not 100% happy with what Fractal Terrains has done, but we can use this as a good starting point.

Also, I've gone back through the Timeline and added several events mentioned in Seer's last post on Gartaenia.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Ok, I had a few more thoughts on the Emerald Mask and its "children" that I wanted to put out there before I forget them.
Chimpman wrote:Children of the Mask
After the defeat of Princess Arrah, Bramble-thorn took the Emerald Mask as a trophy. In triumph, she donned the mask, and was immediately and horribly transformed. The Emerald Mask fused to her face, becoming one with her. Few know where Bramble-thorn fled after her transformation, or what final fate awaited the mask. Legends say that the spirits in the mask were reborn in the offspring of Bramble-thorn and that they haunt the forests of the western continent even today. Surely there is some credence to this claim for the wolf-kin of the northwestern forests are different from their brethren - savage and violent.
The first question is, "What were the spirits living in the Emerald Mask." Sages in the Shard Sea Kingdoms have a few competing theories. The prevailing myth surrounding the mask is that the spirits within it are all former owners of the mask, or those who swore fealty to it. As such, they are all "human souls", each with a unique past and experiences in the living world during their former lives. Proponents of this theory site several occasions over the past 800 years where wolf-kin descendants of Bramble-thorn have claimed to be specific individuals from the Emerald Principality's history, including Princess Arrah herself. Despite the fact that most wolf-kin claiming such heritage turn out to be slavering maniacal monsters, this theory is very popular in the Principality. After all, it's only natural that a human spirit would go mad with rage if it was trapped in the body of an inhuman monster.

Another popular theory, and one with much wider acceptance outside of the Principalities themselves, is that the entities trapped in the Emerald Mask were in fact some variety of Wind Spirit, and were never human at all. Imprisoned by the gods for their capriciousness, they sought a way to return to the world of the living. However because humans are not a part of this world, the Wind Spirits only had a limited amount of control over them. It was the Wind Spirits who encouraged the depravity of the Emerald Principality that eventually led to the first Blood War between humans and wolf-kin, and that eventually caused the mask to fall into wolf-kin possession. The mask was so in tune with Bramble-thron that it fused itself to her face, and it was only after that the the spirits within were born back into this world.

Whatever the truth may be, the northeastern wolf-kin tribes (all claiming descent from Bramble-thorn) are savage and bloodthirsty, and reviled by human and wolf-kin alike. Their shamans practice dark rituals and are rumored to be cannibals that perform blood sacrifices.

Bramble-thorn and Spirits of the Emerald Mask:
In addition to wolf-weres, these creatures could be the source of many monstrous manifestations in the Kingdoms of the Shard Sea and its surroundings. Spirits of extreme potency could twist their wolf-kin hosts to the point of creating creatures very much like vampires. Bramble-thorn herself may still exist in such a state - possibly as a truly undead creature such as a vampire lord or lich.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Random thought...Cryshenta, once founded, could have been where the Emerald Principality "encouraged" Corammonites to settle. The other alternative was being burned as heretics, but it was still a choice.

More than likely Cryshenta is an independent nation now (the Emerald Principality probably faced too many pressures elsewhere to keep a tight grip on it), and I suggest it might be more of an amalgamation of self-governing towns and villages, than a true, unified kingdom. Every so often, someone tries to bring the town leaders together to form a league of some sort, but the Greenies soon catch wind of it and stomp on them for a bit.

Lorance probably provides aid in various forms, and would like to see Cryshenta become a strong buffer state (but not *too* strong); however, the Lorantines have too much on their plate right now to dream about regaining the land for themselves.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:Random thought...Cryshenta, once founded, could have been where the Emerald Principality "encouraged" Corammonites to settle. The other alternative was being burned as heretics, but it was still a choice.

More than likely Cryshenta is an independent nation now (the Emerald Principality probably faced too many pressures elsewhere to keep a tight grip on it), and I suggest it might be more of an amalgamation of self-governing towns and villages, than a true, unified kingdom. Every so often, someone tries to bring the town leaders together to form a league of some sort, but the Greenies soon catch wind of it and stomp on them for a bit.

Lorance probably provides aid in various forms, and would like to see Cryshenta become a strong buffer state (but not *too* strong); however, the Lorantines have too much on their plate right now to dream about regaining the land for themselves.
I like that, it seems about right. Have we done anything on Vystall yet? I'm thinking about making Vystall into a remnant of the Kingdom of Jallenta (the brief kingdom created by Terwin Jal when he conquered portions of the Kingdoms). Timeline wise I think he would have come into power around -400 to -300 years ago, but his kingdom would not have survived his death/disappearance.

Jallenta probably would have covered portions of Wyren, Cryshenta, Lorance, Moerre, and the Emerald Principality. Once the kingdom fell, its supporters might have been run out of town and forced to flee into northern borderland territories in order to avoid persecution. Very similar to Cryshenta in that it would not have a strong central government - something that might actually cause the other nations to band together and destroy it.

The Library in northern Wyren would have been important to Jal as well, and may have been the reason for his short lived conquest. Keeping the library out of the hands of Vystall might be something we could tie into the mythos of Wyren.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Preview of things to come:
Here is a preliminary version of the Northern Wilds - the land immediately north of the Kingdoms of the Shard Sea.

We're going to the library tomorrow to do some research on Native American tribes to get some more ideas on the wolf-kin that might be living in this area. Many of the tribes that live in the Northern Wilds claim descent from Bramble-thorn and have been "tainted" to various degrees by the Emerald Mask.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Yet another section of the world - I must be on a mapping kick at the moment. This map is on the other side of the Crater Sea, where the Kingdoms of the Shard Sea have established several colonies (with varying degrees of success). To the west of the colonies is an empire of lizardfolk. Not much else is known about the area right now.

Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

I've refined some of the political borders. The map can be found in previous posts, but I am including it below for ease of reference:

Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Very cool! I would add a bit of yellow to the south of Raeld - basically extend humanity a bit on the northern shore. This is where that former Emerald Principality colony would be.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman »

Seer of Yhog wrote:Very cool! I would add a bit of yellow to the south of Raeld - basically extend humanity a bit on the northern shore. This is where that former Emerald Principality colony would be.
This is for Moesse, correct? Would you extend it all the way to the eastern coast as well, or just have it occupy the western coast to some point inland?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog »

Yep, for Moesse (whose name I should change, because it's close to Moerre). Just the western coast is fine - long and thin, up to the mountains. Lots of thick-walled strongholds bristling with cannons, and paranoid humans.

EDIT: Let's call it Caebrin.

My Blog is here!

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”