[AlterEarth] KF's Alternate Magitech Earth

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

[AlterEarth] KF's Alternate Magitech Earth

Post by Knightfall » Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 pm

I posted this some time ago on my (now defunct) Modern RPG Yahoo! Group, but I haven't delved into it since. I'm cross-posting it here to hopefully get some fresh perspectives on it. -KF

Okay, this campaign idea is one I've had for some time now but I've never really delved too much into it. The basic premise is that in the Year 2005 portals from otherworlds begin to appear across Earth. These magical portals lead to various planes of reality whether they be D&D Worlds, the outer planes, or other places beyond the cosmos.

The initial contact with the denizens of these otherworlds is peaceful but it doesn't last. Soon, conflict breaks out between our world and several magical realms, which breaks the seals of magic preventing magicks from working on Earth. Earth technology also bleeds into these other realms, but not all of them.

Some of the otherworlds include my various D&D campaign concepts such as Time of Ages (major) and World of Kulan (minor). There will also be connections to the various official D&D Worlds and the Dragonstar universe as per my Arcanum of the Stars campaign. Regardless of the other settings, the initial design for this campaign concept will be relatively systemless but with an option for using either d20 Modern or the Alternity RPG (or both).

Doubles
An interesting idea I came up with for this campaign concept is that every person on Earth has a double somewhere on one of the otherworlds. This includes both PCs and NPCs from AlterEarth. It could include famous people from Earth's history or just someone I know from real life. I think it would be fun to turn an old friend into a RPG character on an otherworld.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: AlterEarth

Post by RobJN » Sun May 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Huge potential here, depending on when you decide to start a campaign. Do you do early days, before the shadows were lifted from the existence of the other worlds? Maybe during one of the wars? Or during a lull between conflicts? Are the PCs Earthers or Other-Worlders? Great opportunities for PC/NPC interactions.

Are the portals stable, always appearing in the same place and leading to the same place? ("Middle Earth, 2 miles. Apha Centauri: 7 miles") Or do they move around, linking to seemingly random places from random places and times?

Edit: W00t! Post 1k.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 pm

What a coincidence... I've been watching old episodes of Sliders lately. Funny how things like that works.

--Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Mon May 02, 2011 3:32 am

RobJN wrote:Huge potential here, depending on when you decide to start a campaign. Do you do early days, before the shadows were lifted from the existence of the other worlds? Maybe during one of the wars? Or during a lull between conflicts? Are the PCs Earthers or Other-Worlders? Great opportunities for PC/NPC interactions.
Nothing has been decided yet. Besides the name "AlterEarth" and what I wrote above, I haven't created anything else for the concept. It's mainly an idea. An early campaign would be like mixing Dark*Matter and Shadow Chasers with a low-magic fantasy world. The PCs would be Earthers in such a case. I think I'd have to classify any fantasy races or aliens as "outsiders."

However, I think the main time period would be somewhere between 2025 to 2050. The most destructive of the Portal Wars took place during this time period.
RobJN wrote:Are the portals stable, always appearing in the same place and leading to the same place? ("Middle Earth, 2 miles. Apha Centauri: 7 miles") Or do they move around, linking to seemingly random places from random places and times?

Edit: W00t! Post 1k.
I'm thinking that most of the portals will shift but that the shifts will always be the same. Um, yeah, let's go with that. The portals that are stable were constructed, after the fact.
Last edited by Knightfall on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon May 02, 2011 7:22 am

One idea to keep in mind is that parallel worlds may have a different temporal spin and that quantum-tunneling is never time travel. This opens up all of Earth's history to the campaign. This combined with trade between a modern day Earth and one that is further along or slower along the temporal path can open up weird types of worlds where almost anything goes.

Sliders episode The Guardian is an example of how this works.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 am

Can I get this thread moved to the Homebrew Worlds forum. I should have posted it there in the first place. :oops:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:One idea to keep in mind is that parallel worlds may have a different temporal spin and that quantum-tunneling is never time travel. This opens up all of Earth's history to the campaign. This combined with trade between a modern day Earth and one that is further along or slower along the temporal path can open up weird types of worlds where almost anything goes.

Sliders episode The Guardian is an example of how this works.
I'm not really thinking that there would be parallel Earths, although that would add a lot more campaign options. No, the portals would lead to the official settings related to Dungeons and Dragons (especially Eberron :idea: ), my own homebrewed 3E worlds, Dragonstar (my Arcanum of the Stars setting), and maybe even Star Wars (more of a long shot). AlterEarth will definitely fall more towards science-fantasy in tone, but I want some grittiness in it. (Hmm, imagine a portal that leads to/from the Star Wars universe in a time where most of its 'culture' has been destroyed.)

If I do include alternate Earths, it will be to the Alternity RPG settings — Dark•Matter, Gamma World, and Star*Drive. I could include Urban Arcana in that mix, but since I don't have the book for it, its not much of a consideration at the moment. (I'm not going to buy it just to use it with AE.) Since I once considered using the Shadowrun rules for AlterEarth, I could see a portal between the two worlds.

I am very unlikely to have connections to Babylon 5, Stargate, Star Trek, or anything related to the DC or Marvel universes. I just don't want to go down those roads. (B5 would be the least disruptive.)
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: AlterEarth [Alternity | d20 Modern]

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, whatever floats your boat. I look forward to further development of AlterEarth.
Social Media

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: AlterEarth [Alternity | d20 Modern]

Post by Knightfall » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:16 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Well, whatever floats your boat. I look forward to further development of AlterEarth.
AlterEarth rarely gets my attention. Too many other irons in the fire. Plus, I've never managed to hook myself into the premise 100%. I'll look at it from time to time, but it's best to think of it as vaporware. :roll:
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's AlterEarth [Alternity | d20 Modern]

Post by Knightfall » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:51 am

Wow! I totally forgot about this thread over on EN World: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... Assignment!

I'm going to have to 'port some of it over here to make this thread more complete.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

The Press Release

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:44 am

The Orphan King's Transdimensional Adoption League
801 Pyramid Lake Road
Jasper, AB T0E 1E0
(780) 852-xxxx

June 1, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

We are pleased to announce that the Multidimensional Theater Company (MTC) will be performing their renown variety show at the Village of Forest Town's 25th Annual Summer Fair beginning July 1. The show will be highlighted by the Orphan King's own performance of a magic and puppet show, which he made famous as a member of the MTC before gaining the Crown on an alternate plane of reality. The variety show is free to attend but patrons have the option to make money and food donations.

Company leader and ringmaster Archibald Windsong is thrilled about the chance to perform alongside his old colleague and mentor. “Hezekiah's participation in the show will be a real treat for those in attendance and for us as well. His magic and puppet show is a rare joy to behold, especially for children and pixies.”

“I am looking forward to entertaining Forest Town's youngsters and it is important for everyone to know that all monetary donations will be split between the Transdimensional Adoption League and the town's public school,” said the Orphan King. “It's a worthy endeavor for all.”

All food donations will go to Jasper's local Food Bank.

The Orphan King will have a special guest assistant for his performance — Sonny Tintall. He and his new family will be making the trip from Boston, Massachusetts, in order to show their support for the Transdimensional Adoption League and its mission. “It's going to be so much fun,” said Sonny by phone when asked about making the trip. “I can hardly wait!”

The MTC will be performing a total of three times during the fair — July 1, July 9, and

July 18. All three shows will start at Noon and run for an hour. The variety show will be held in a traditional big-top tent in the center of the village's fairgrounds. The show will include not only the Orphan King's unique show but also juggling acts, comedy theater, clowns from various dimensions, live operatic music, and interpretive dance.

The Orphan King's Transdimensional Adoption League is a multi-planar organization dedicated to finding homes for orphans from all realities and was founded over ten years ago by the Orphan King on his home plane. The League has existed on our world since 2005 and has successfully found homes for thousands of Earth orphans throughout the multi-planar cosmos.

The Multidimensional Theater Company (MTC) is a traveling variety show that has performed throughout the multi-planar cosmos in such famous cities as Cauldron, Chicago, Freeport, Greyhawk, London, New York, Paris, Waterdeep, and the planar city of Sigil. The MTC always donates a part of its proceeds to children's charities and orphanages throughout the multi-planar cosmos as many of its members were starving waifs and orphans in their youth.

The Village of Forest Town is a growing community of 624 located 55 kilometers northeast of Jasper, Alberta, along the north side of Highway 16. The village's annual fair is celebrating its 25th year. The fair begins on July 1 and ends on July 18.

#####

Contact for Additional Information
Robert Blezard, Media Advisor and Apprentice
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Feature Release

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 am

June 1, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Sonny Tintall had no where safe to go after the earthquake killed his family and destroyed his home. Claimed by the state, he was forced to live in a rundown orphanage in a heartless city on a backwater world. Sonny was a lost child, one of so many in the multi-planar cosmos. Forced to work for his infested bed and meager supper, Sonny lived as a slave in poverty at the Red Street Orphanage in the otherworldly city of Bottleneck.

He lived with no hope until that faithful day five years ago when the Orphan King arrived in his city and saw the conditions in which that the children were forced to live. The magician used his prestige and wealth to convince the local leaders to sell the Red Street Orphanage to the Transdimensional Adoption League, which allowed him to free the orphans from bondage. He used his personal wealth to help rebuild the orphanage and hired a new, benign staff to oversee the care of the children.

Soon afterwards, Sonny and his fellows began attending the orphanage's new privately funded school with lessons in language, mathematics, and social studies. Sonny took to the skills of mathematics with ease and moved to the head of his class. His headmistress, a Mrs. Daisy Frumm, had this to say about the boy, “He is a delight to teach and we will all miss him terribly when he leaves for his new home.”

That was three years ago.

Sonny now lives in Boston, Massachusetts, with his new family, the Bakersfields. The middle-class family of four were delighted to bring Sonny into their happy home. June and Will

Bakersfield had always wanted a son but were unable to have more children after the difficult birth of their twin girls.

Of course, it had not been easy to get the adoption approved. There was a considerable amount of resistance from the U.S. Federal government since Sonny wasn't a U.S. citizen not to mention a young boy from an otherworld. “We had nearly given up hope,” Will Bakersfield said after the U.S. Court of Appeals reversed a previous ruling. “This process has been draining on our family but finally Sonny is coming home.”

It was this landmark case that allowed the Orphan King's Transdimensional Adoption League to gain official status as a NGO on Earth and the organization has been an advocate of the rights of children across the globe. Sonny Bakersfield now plays and goes to school with his new friends in Boston. “It's definitely strange living here,” Sonny said when asked how he was adjusting. “Boston's not like Bottleneck. It's a lot bigger and the culture is a lot different. However, my friends here are just like my old friends were in Red Street Orphanage. Well, except none of my new friends are dwarves or elves.”

#####

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Factoid

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 am

Variety Show Primer

Clown: An entertainer who does comical tricks; a fool, jester, or comedian in an entertainment (as a play).

Comedy: An amusing theatrical play performed on stage.

Company: A group of touring entertainers; a group of actors, singers, or dancers.

Interpretive Dance: A rhythmic series of movements performed to music that construes some overall meaning.

Juggler: An entertainer who continuously tosses and catches objects while keeping one or more in the air at any time.

Magician: A person with magical power; a conjurer; a master of illusions and prestidigitation.

Opera: A drama set to music and made up of vocal pieces with orchestral accompaniment and orchestral overtures and interludes.

Opera Bouffe: A satirical comic opera.

Puppet: A model of a person or animal moved either by strings or by a hand inside it.

Ringmaster: A person who is in charge of performances in a ring (as of a circus).

Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Story Idea

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 am

To: Editors and News Directors
Date: June 1, 2009
Re: Story Idea

David Walsh has been a thrill seeker for much of his adult life. He has climbed mountains, parasailed from Australia to New Zealand, and raced in the Baja 1000 desert race in a triple hybrid dune buggy (i.e. solar electric). However, his biggest thrill to date has been helping the Orphan King's Transdimensional Adoption League. He often performs feats of bravado in order to raise awareness of the NGOs cause.

David is a Canadian and an Albertan by birth, but he has lived all over the world. However, he still visits his home in the Village of Forest Town every year to donate his time and money to the community. He sleeps in his old bedroom, eats his mother's home cooking, and volunteers to to be 'dunked' in a tank by former classmates and neighbors as part of the community's Annual Summer Fair.

This year David has worked with the Transdimensional Adoption League to help bring the Multidimensional Theater Company to his small town in hopes of helping to raise awareness regarding the plight of orphans around the world and beyond.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Op-Ed Submission

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:51 am

Our changing world: one voice amongst many
June 1, 2009

It's a date that will go down in in the annals of history: March 12, 2005. It was on this date that our world changed forever. A gateway was opened and new worlds were discovered. There was shock and fear and even tragedy. How could we hope to survive an onslaught of otherworldly life as it invaded our world? It was the question being asked from Los Angeles to Paris to Tokyo.

However, the 'invasion' never came. Instead, we discovered that these 'otherworlds' lived more in fear of us then we did of them. We discovered worlds stricken by disease and poverty and inhabited by creatures torn right out of the texts of our own mythologies. It was a sobering experience to learn that mythical creatures walked these otherworlds and that they might have actually walked our own in the past.

We also discovered humanity on these otherworlds and reached out to our own. It was in that first year of change and conflict that the Orphan King first came to Earth. A man, a human man, dedicated to the protection of children of all races (what a phrase that is now) throughout the multi-planar cosmos. This man, named only Hezekiah, fought the 'powers-that-be' of our world by showing them the folly of otherworlds that had rejected the future of their own children. Worlds now burnt away by war and greed.

He has worked towards helping us save ourselves without asking us to call him our savior. He and the Transdimensional Adoption League have found homes on Earth for lost children from hundreds of otherworlds and vice versa. Our world is changing and, for once, it's changing for the better. We are not alone anymore.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Photo Captions

Post by Knightfall » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:52 am

BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS, December 15, 2008 - - BAKERSFIELD FAMILY: Eight-year-old Sonny Tintall stands in front of his house in Boston, Massachusetts, with his new family, the Bakersfields. From left to right: Will (father), Debbie (sister), Sonny, Megan (sister), and June (mother). Sitting in the front is the family's golden retriever, Max.
(Photo by Raymond Verger)

Short Version: Sonny Tintall with his new family, the Bakersfields in Boston.

FOREST TOWN, May 15 - - DUNK TANK: Renown Canadian adventurer and activist David Walsh stands beside the Village of Forest Town's yellow and black dunk tank while pointing at where he'll be sitting every day starting on July 1. He's smiling now but will he be smiling when he's all wet?
(Photo by Leeann Wakefield)

Short Version: David Walsh will be getting dunked a lot starting July 1.

JASPER, June 1 - - KING AND MAYORS: Hezekiah, the Orphan King, shakes the hand of Dan Peters, the mayor of the Village of Forest Town while the mayor of Jasper looks on. This just after the Orphan King announced that the Multidimensional Theater Company (MTC) will be performing at Forest Town's 25th Annual Summer Fair.
(Photo by Andrew Roth)

Short Version: The Orphan King shakes hands with the mayor of Forest Town.

The Orphan King's Transdimensional Adoption League
801 Pyramid Lake Road
Jasper, AB T0E 1E0
(780) 852-xxxx
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”