Eberron: Rising from the Last War cover swapped

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Eberron: Rising from the Last War cover swapped

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am

The cover of WotC's new Eberron book Eberron: Rising from the Last War has been swapped days before the book was sent to be printed.

Wizards of the Coast have put a video on their webpage for Eberron: Rising from the Last War, where they explain why the cover is now internal art and a previous bit of internal art is now the cover.

Both paintings are still in the product (just swapped around) and both are available as desktop wallpaper, if you like them.

The new book is advertised as: "D&D Campaign Setting and Adventure Book", so this might be the model for any future returning out of print D&D campaign setting (a book that is both the 5e version of the setting and an adventure).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Re: Eberron: Rising from the Last War cover swapped

Post by timemrick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am

So what's the short version answer, for us lazy folks who don't want to watch a 10-minute video?

For me, the new cover is much more iconically Eberron. Now you have a choice between a warforged (here) and an airship (on the alternate cover), not some froofy elf. :D
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:14 pm

timemrick wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am
So what's the short version answer, for us lazy folks who don't want to watch a 10-minute video?
They had some "feedback" from fans who "asked if there was an alternative option for a different cover".

The cover that is now going to be on the book, is the one I linked to in my original post.

Amazon still has the original proposed cover.

They claim that they were already thinking about swapping out the cover before they got the feedback.

Looking at the art for both covers, they both have a lot going on on the right side and an obvious sacrificial area on the left side. So I think that both paintings were designed as possible covers/possible internal art, and that WotC has just swapped them over and cropped them to fit wherever they need to go.

There are desktop downloads on the WotC page. I had a look and it's both of these covers, the third cover (the "only available in RPG stores" cover) and a fourth picture, which I think will be a forth possible cover
timemrick wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:49 am
For me, the new cover is much more iconically Eberron. Now you have a choice between a warforged (here) and an airship (on the alternate cover), not some froofy elf. :D
The "froofy elf" is now going to be the chapter 1 introduction picture.

I didn't mind the elf, to be honest. The pumped up warforged looked a bit unusual, but the 10-minute video explains that this is a warforged that has had heavy armour attached to it. (Essentually, that's the Arnie of the warforged world. ;) )

I think the only thing that was a little bit jarring to me is that the picture looked like the elf had a dead rabbit attached to her shoulder. :?

But I think the main reason I prefer the new art is that the viewpoint is a bit further back and it kind of tells the story of the two characters better IMO...especially, if you look to the left (on the bit that will wrap around to the back of the book) where you can see the dinosaur.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Recap of everything you already know about Eberron, discussion of the cover swap ("internal discussion," "fans wanted to... explore different covers,"..."galvanized us to... make the change." Sounds a lot like "we really didn't like it, the fans hated more than we did, so we switched it out at the very last minute.")

The old cover art is now the Chapter one opener, and the full image is much better than what they cropped it down to to fit on the cover.

And it's a gnome, apparently, not an elf.

Also noted: any number-crunching updates made to the book will port over as an update to Wayfinder's Guide.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

I was never a huge fan of the original cover so I think this one is an improvement. I do think the original cover could work well as interior art.

I am still not sure if I will get this one or the alternate cover version which I assume still will be released?

Why did they include a gnome on the cover?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

lookatroopa
Orc

Post by lookatroopa » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

-Havard
That character (Vi from Jeremy Crawford's Acquisitions Incorporated games) was included because she's an artificer.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:44 am

It could still be a better cover. I mean I like it, but I don't love it as much as the limited edition release cover.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:37 am

lookatroopa wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:34 pm
Havard wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm
That character (Vi from Jeremy Crawford's Acquisitions Incorporated games) was included because she's an artificer.
Ah! Including an artificer does make sense. It is interesting to see how the WotC are making use of the streaming campaigns to promote their products.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Milke
Hobgoblin

Post by Milke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm

I'll buy it regardless. =p
Michael W.
Pathfinder player
GM extraordinaire.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm

Milke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:51 pm
I'll buy it regardless. =p
A true fan! :)

Will you be getting both the standard version and the alternate cover version?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Milke
Hobgoblin

Post by Milke » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:29 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm
A true fan! :)

Will you be getting both the standard version and the alternate cover version?

-Havard
I don't know about all that. I like the cover depicted at the top of the thread here.
I like to get the Eberron stuff from all editions. Game system notwithstanding, the setting material can be very rich and flavorful for any Eberron game from 3.5 to 5E to Pathfinder.
Even tho I never played 4E, I like a lot of the stuff in the 4E campaign guide. I'd kind of like to do a kind of homemade combo of the first 2 guides, sans stats, for myself. And throw in the rules I'd be using for Pathfinder 2E.
Michael W.
Pathfinder player
GM extraordinaire.

Return to “Eberron”