Old Edition Eberron?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
finarvyn
Gnoll

Old Edition Eberron?

Post by finarvyn » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm

My son has really gotten interested in the Eberron setting but I'm not too thrilled with the 3E games system. Has anyone done a conversion for an older edition?

I guess I'm looking for something (in order) more like OD&D, C&C, or 1E AD&D (OSRIC or Labyrinth Lords or other clone system would be good, too).

I guess what I want is the simplicity of older editions blended with the setting, cool classes, and so on of Eberron. 8-)
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Old Edition Eberron?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:29 am

Interesting notion, and no- I don't know offhand of anything that's been done in that regard.

I'm intrigued enough to take a look at my Eberron CS book later tonight and see if anything comes to mind right offhand.

Fortunately, most of the book is just non-rules campaign stuff, so shouldn't be a problem to use regardless of rules. The rest of the stuff... hm. I don't imagine should be too difficult to come up with something for.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 pm

I posted this in the Mystara forum, but it seemed right to cross-post it here...

Warforged character class for BECMI D&D...

Hit Dice, 9d8 +3 hp per level after level 9.

- Minimum constitution score of 9. (nb. no ability score adjustment; D&D uses minimum stats instead of adjusting them as a general rule).

Languages: Warforged have no language of their own. They speak Common, plus whatever extra languages their Intelligence score might allow them.

Living Construct: Immune to poison and disease, sleep, paralysis, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain attacks.

- Cannot heal damage naturally. Magical healing provides only half normal benefit, unless they were memorised as (for example) repair light damage spells.

- Always treated as wearing metal armour where relevant to magical effects, swimming, and so on.
- Always treated as wearing a significant amount of wood where relevant to magical effects (repel wood etc).

- natural weapon - fists (aka slam) 1d4 damage

- natural armour - AC 7 by default. Cannot wear armour, but may be "refitted" with heavier/thicker armour. Treat this refitting as purchasing a piece of armour (standard prices). Such armour cannot be removed (except by refitting), but has no encumbrance for the warforged character. This initial AC 7 means teh warforged effectively starts out "refitted" with "leather armour".

Attack and save progression as a fighter. Can benefit from all fighter manoeuvres at appropriate character levels. Experience progression as a magic-user.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

waylander39
Troll

Post by waylander39 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't see any reason Eberron couldn't be adapted to one of the earlier versions of the game. 2nd ed Ad&d is the one that sprung to mind as the edition I would probably want to go to if I ever decide to go down that route.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:19 pm

finarvyn wrote:My son has really gotten interested in the Eberron setting but I'm not too thrilled with the 3E games system. Has anyone done a conversion for an older edition?
I don't know of one, but I'm in favor of gamers being free to use any campaign setting with any version of D&D, so I'd love to see this get done.

I did a Google search and apparantly there is a list of Eberron fan websites on Gleemax. One of them might have some sort of retro-conversion that helps you. I tried to go into the thread to grab some links but when I got to Gleemax there were no threads there (i.e. it looked like it had been wiped). Maybe they are in the process of re-installing the forum. I suggest you try again later.

If you find this elsewhere, please come back and let us know.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:57 pm

The idea of playing in Eberron using BECMI D&D really appeals to me. I think I would do the warforged a little differently. Granted it's been a while since I've looked at the BECMI rules. Give them d10 for HP. Drop fighter maneuvers. Perhaps give them something like damage reduction from 3.5. Basically they wouldn't be the best fighters but can stand up to a beating. Maybe add some warforged jugernaunt features althought I don't know what at the moment.

I may have to think about how to do Shifters and the other races. Of course not having the Eberron books does make that more difficult.

Too bad basicfantasy.org uses races and classes. Labyrinth Lord is closer to BECMI but I'd rather have AC go up not down. Granted I'd also keep Fortitude, Reflex, and Will for a simplified system.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 am

PhantomMike over at the WotC board asked about running a 2nd Edition Eberron. I suggested he create a new class for artificer instead of a wizard kits since what I know of them is very different than a wizard. For the warforged, I thought it would be best to go with a 4E like approach to warforged armor since 2E doesn't have feats. Maybe make the warforged judgernaunt a kit that gains a damage reduction like ability.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Did you ever get anywhere with this, Finarvyn?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

MolotDet
Goblin

Post by MolotDet » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I am actually trying to convert the Eberron Artificer over in this thread right now.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7818&p=100108#p100108
Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update to URL of The Piazza

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 am

MolotDet wrote:I am actually trying to convert the Eberron Artificer over in this thread right now.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7818&p=100108#p100108
Good luck!
Last edited by Giant Space Hamster on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update to URL of The Piazza

Return to “Eberron”