Has anyone created any living spells?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Has anyone created any living spells?

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 am

One of the monster entries in Eberron Campaign Setting is the Living Spell.

Living spells can be made up of lots of spells, but not all of them. They can also be made up from two or more spells.

Has anyone ever gone through the spells in the Player's Handbook to see how many spells could qualify as the base spell of a living spell?

Has anyone ever gone further than that and fully statted up one or more living spells?

Adding two or more spells would create a very large number of combinations, but does anyone think it might be worth going through the Spell Index in the SRD (one by one) to convert all of the spells (that qualify) into living spell versions?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

kristianserrano
Orc

Re: Has anyone created any living spells?

Post by kristianserrano » Tue May 24, 2016 2:38 am

I've not created any new ones, buy there's this.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/ls
Manifest Zone, a monthly podcast exploring Eberron as a tabletop RPG setting
Savage Worlds Eberron Conversion Companion

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 24, 2016 4:08 am

I've cooked some up, but they are 5e approximations, being used as monsters running amok in a besieged magical academy. While I remember delving into my Eberron book(s) to look up just how to apply the living spell monster template, I'm pretty sure that I bent the rules for dramatic purposes.....
Magic School Adventure (Real original title, I know) wrote:
  • Antimagic Field AC 18, HD 15d8+20 (120) Speed: 20 ft. Att: Slam+6; Dmg: 1d6 force, or Engulf Dex Save DC 18 Engulfed spellcasters must make an Intelligence save vs. their Spell Save DC or lose 1 random spell slot. The Angimagic field will eject a spellcaster once all its spell slots have been absorbed.
  • Burning Hands AC 11 HD 1d6 (3) Speed: 0 ft. fly 35ft. Att: Slam+2 Dmg: 1d4 force +3d6 fire (10, 5 if Dex Save DC 11)
  • Lightning Bolt AC 13 HD 5d6+5 (20) Speed 40 feet Att: 1 Slam 1d4 force +6d6 lightning (18, 9 if Dex Save DC 14)
  • Magic Missile Flock AC 12 HD 5d8 (22) Speed 0 ft., fly 40ft. Att: Kamikaze plunge +4 ; Damage: 1d4+1 force; swarm loses hp equal to damage dealt.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am

kristianserrano wrote:I've not created any new ones, buy there's this.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/ls
Thanks for the link to the Living Spells Archive! :cool:

So we have this:
  1. Acid, Slumber, and Stone
    • Living Acid Arrow
    • Living Deep Slumber
    • Living Flesh to Stone
  2. Dust, Storm, and Confusion
    • Living Glitterdust
    • Living Ice Storm
    • Living Confusion
  3. Disintegrate, Dizzy and Dispel
    • Living Disintegrate
    • Living Whirlwind
    • Living Antimagic Field
  4. Bind, Fall, and Spray
    • Living Web
    • Living Reverse Gravity
    • Living Prismatic Spray
If I decide to take this a step further, and make a full list of SRD spells, I'll be able to add a cross-reference to the the ECS ones and the Living Spell Archive ones, and we could have a look at the others, to see which ones are not-valid spells for being converted into Living Spells. (Then we could decide how many "need" to be created and decide if it is worth doing. It would be a bit like the Creature Catalogue Team. :) )
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 am

RobJN wrote:I've cooked some up, but they are 5e approximations, being used as monsters running amok in a besieged magical academy. While I remember delving into my Eberron book(s) to look up just how to apply the living spell monster template, I'm pretty sure that I bent the rules for dramatic purposes.....
Magic School Adventure (Real original title, I know) wrote:
  • Antimagic Field AC 18, HD 15d8+20 (120) Speed: 20 ft. Att: Slam+6; Dmg: 1d6 force, or Engulf Dex Save DC 18 Engulfed spellcasters must make an Intelligence save vs. their Spell Save DC or lose 1 random spell slot. The Angimagic field will eject a spellcaster once all its spell slots have been absorbed.
  • Burning Hands AC 11 HD 1d6 (3) Speed: 0 ft. fly 35ft. Att: Slam+2 Dmg: 1d4 force +3d6 fire (10, 5 if Dex Save DC 11)
  • Lightning Bolt AC 13 HD 5d6+5 (20) Speed 40 feet Att: 1 Slam 1d4 force +6d6 lightning (18, 9 if Dex Save DC 14)
  • Magic Missile Flock AC 12 HD 5d8 (22) Speed 0 ft., fly 40ft. Att: Kamikaze plunge +4 ; Damage: 1d4+1 force; swarm loses hp equal to damage dealt.
Living Spells besieging a magical academy sounds like a brilliant alternative to them wandering around battlefields. I think they could even appear in the area around Arcanix and start causing problems for the commonfolk there. :twisted:

I was pretty much thinking of knocking these up in 3.5 stats, but I would be happy to see a parallel project making 5e versions. :)

(Out of interest, do 4e Living Spells work the same as 3e ones? Or did 4e introduce any variant rules for Living Spells that could be retro-converted to 3e?)

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue May 24, 2016 11:59 am
(Out of interest, do 4e Living Spells work the same as 3e ones? Or did 4e introduce any variant rules for Living Spells that could be retro-converted to 3e?)
4e Living Spells were create as monsters not using a template or anything. Searching for "living" in name only found the following from the 4e compendium:

Living Storm Pillar 1 No role Standard Dragon Magazine 419
Living Frost Breath Weapon 24 Brute Elite Dragons of Eberron
Living Dark Transport 24 Skirmisher Elite Dungeon Magazine 171
Living Cloud of Daggers 10 Brute Minion Dungeon Magazine 175
Living Flaming Sphere 10 Skirmisher Elite Dungeon Magazine 175
Living Cloudkill 19 Brute Elite Eberron Campaign Setting
Living Plague Fragment 13 Controller Standard Vor Rukoth
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Tue May 24, 2016 12:55 am
Has anyone ever gone further than that and fully statted up one or more living spells?
Not yet, but you're making me want to....
Adding two or more spells would create a very large number of combinations, but does anyone think it might be worth going through the Spell Index in the SRD (one by one) to convert all of the spells (that qualify) into living spell versions?
I would rather not see this done. I don't like the idea that all spells will eventually become Living if cast often enough, or under the wrong circumstances, or whatever. I'd rather they were more individualistic, not completely random, but with some sort of mythic resonance determining which spells have the best chance to come to life. The Unholy Blight spell is perfect, for instance, because it's literally a manifestation of Evil energy given physical form. Doing it for Fire is also great, and for Glitterdust it's reasonable. But, for instance, I don't at all like the idea of a Living Acid Arrow; it just feels like that particular spell ought to be defined by its singular nature, not converted into something which is persistent and automatic.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:48 pm

I've created a few. Even had one minor villain my PCs faced that could command them. I'll try to find them amd post them here sometime today.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Sickening Sleep
Huge ooze, unaligned

STR 14 (+2)
DEX 3 (-4)
CON 20 (+5)
INT 1 (-5)
WIS 6 (-2)
CHA 1 (-5)
Languages Understands the language of its master

Ooze Cube. The ooze takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but a creature that does so is subjected to the cube's Engulf and has disadvantage on the saving throw.

Creatures inside the cube can be seen but have total cover.

A creature within 5 feet of the cube can take an action to pull a creature or object out of the cube. Doing so requires a successful DC 12 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 1d6 Strength damage.

The cube can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.

Lullabye. The ooze emits a magical lullaby, causing all creatures within 60’ who can hear it to feel drowsy. Those affected must make a DC 12 Wisdom.

Those that fail fall asleep until they can no longer hear the lullaby. A creature sleeping under this spell is allowed another saving throw with advantage if they take damage or a creature uses an action to attempt to wake them up.

Creatures that succeed their saving throw are limited to choosing either an action or bonus action during their turn, but cannot do both. They are also unable to take reactions.

Elves and creatures that are immune to sleep effects automatically succeed on their saving throw, but are otherwise affected as any other creature.

This ability has no effect on deafened creatures or those without the capacity to hear.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 Strength damage and the target must make a new saving throw against the Lullaby ability or fall asleep. A target’s Strength score cannot drop below 1.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.

On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the ooze. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.

On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 1d6 Strength damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can't breathe and is restrained. When the ooze moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the ooze.

Charming Armor
Large ooze, unaligned
INT 1 (-5)
WIS 6 (-2)
CHA 20 (+5)

Charm. The ooze is made of energy that works on the mind, making you believe that it is an ally and that you do not want to attack it. Any creature that can see it that attempts to attack it must make a DC 12 Wisdom save. Those that fail cannot bring themselves to attack the ooze, but can take other actions so long as those actions would not directly cause harm to the ooze. Succeeding the saving throw allows you to attack the ooze as normal until the start of your next turn.

A creature can close its eyes before making the attack, but doing so causes the attack to be made at disadvantage.

This ability has no effect on creatures immune to charm effects, or creatures that do not require sight to attack.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+5 bludgeoning damage.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.

On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the ooze. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.

On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space. Unlike most oozes, you are able to breathe and act as normal while the ooze inhabits your space. After the ooze enters your space, it moves over your body to form a living suit of armor. Any attack that targets you instead targets the ooze. While engulfed by the ooze you are also immune anything that produces an area of effect and enemies are not considered to have line of sight on you. When you move, you can choose to have the ooze move with you. If the ooze is hit by an attack that would reduce it below 0 hit points, any remaining damage is taken by the engulfed creature.

Corrosive Web
Large ooze, unaligned
INT 1 (-5)
WIS 6 (-2)
CHA 1 (-5)
Sense blindsight 60’ (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8

Corrosive Slime. The ooze is covered in a corrosive slime. Any creature within 5 ft. that strikes the ooze with a melee attack takes 5 acid damage.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+5 acid damage. Those hit with the pseudopod must make a DC 12 Dexterity Save or take an additional 5 acid damage at the beginning of their turn. This damage repeats every round until the Dexterity Save is successful.

Anchoring Shot. The ooze can launch a sticky, acidic web at a location within 60 ft. All creatures within 5 ft. of the effect must make a DC 16 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (target’s choice). Those that fail are considered grappled and take 1d8+5 acid damage. Those grappled may attempt to break free by using an action to attempt a new DC 16 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (target’s choice). Those grappled continue to take 1d8+5 acid damage at the end of each turn for as long as the grapple remains.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.

On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 3d6 acid damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can't breathe, is restrained, and takes 6d6 acid damage at the start of each of the cube's turns. When the ooze moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the ooze.

A creature within 5 feet of the ooze can take an action to pull a creature or object out of the cube. Doing so requires a successful DC 12 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 3d6 acid damage. The ooze can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 pm

I tried out the template this week. Started trying to make one LS per spell level, but got tired of doing so after 6th, and only made one more for 8th. Found a lot of wonkiness which supports my view that most spells should not become Living. Here's what I came up with:

* Living Flare - Didn't expect much from the level 0 edition; the result has all 10s for its stats and a DC of like 9 on its slam attack, so it's pretty pathetic - except that the flat DR of 10/magic is pretty much impossible for heroes to overcome at 1st level. So this Ooze might beat them to death 1d4 at a time while they're completely helpless to damage it; it only has 20ft. move so they can easily run away, and it might be useful for teaching new players that some things can't be beaten through brute force. But overall, a pretty pathetic creature; cantrips do not make good Living Spells, and the minimum CR of 1 is probably excessive. (The fact that the Organization line lists them as Solitary seems unfortunate; weak ones like this might be more interesting in groups, if you reduced their DR to give the players some chance of dealing with them.)

* Living Silent Image - This was a good example of the way some spells just don't quite make sense; the template makes it a Medium ooze, even though the original spell allows the illusion to wander around in an area of 5 ten-foot cubes. What exactly happens when a victim gets hit by the Slam and fails his save is very unclear; the only way it really works is if the DM fudges a little, and says that succumbing to this Illusion can have more of an effect on you than the original spell would have (though not much more). For example, if the original illusion was of a large spider, a player who feels it crawling on him and fails to save might be Shaken or Sickened. There are a lot of possibilities if you use your imagination, but if you play it by straight RAW this one is completely worthless. The CR is the same as Living Flare, and it has the same size and damage, but its speed is unreal thanks to the spell's Long range; this at least means it's a somewhat unique creature, but its attack is straight-up less dangerous, unless the DM makes a favorable ruling (in which case he should probably increase the CR to 2, in defiance of the template's formula).

* Living Hypnotic Pattern - A somewhat more reasonable one this time, though still a spell that was likely passed over so far for good reason; I didn't look up exactly how the Fascinated status works, but the idea of a creature being hypnotized into standing raptly and gazing at the Ooze which is beating it to death was rather amusing to me.

* Living Ray of Exhaustion - This very goofy idea came to me as my 3rd-level entry, just because it was very different than what I had already done; staying mostly away from damage-dealers because they seemed boring, I really liked this one because of the idea that the spell's effect is interesting in multiples, and won't usually be "spammed" the way a Living Spell can repeatedly invoke it. One slam from this thing Exhausts the target unless they make their save, in which case it Fatigues them instead; in the second case, another hit will Exhaust the target even if they make their save, and I thought that was interesting. I figure that the Living Spell has a compulsion to Exhaust creatures, because this is its *raison d'etre*, and will stop attacking a target once that target becomes Exhausted (at least until the 5-round duration wears off and they're okay again); the result would be a tactically interesting fight where the Living Spell keeps shifting targets, instead of just beating on one player until they're dropped. I also found it amusing to imagine that this Ooze smells like sweat, and ONLY like sweat, with no scent of the usual bodily odors that accompany it - just a neat sensory detail for the players to try and wrap their imaginations around.

* Living Wall of Fire - Bringing a Wall of Fire to life and letting it move independently sounds like a very straightforward thing, but it turns out to actually be really goofy. The spell doesn't have a save, so it deals a huge amount of damage which normally can only be avoided by not walking into the wall; that gets very dangerous when attached to a Living Spell's slam attack, resulting in probably the deadliest creature I created in this session. I'm also unclear on whether the radiant heat damage of the Wall ought to apply as some sort of aura around the Living Spell; going by strict RAW I assumed not, but it was still an extremely scary creature.

* Living Cloudkill - This one might not be as dangerous as its predecessor, although it outright kills low-HD creatures; for anyone at the proper level, it just deals CON damage, but I figured that was enough to make it interesting. As with most of the area spells, the ooze ends up being much smaller than the spell would; I'm assuming that the text allowing the Cloudkill spell effect to move no longer applies to the Living Spell. I have no idea how to translate the normal effects of a Fog Cloud into what a Living Cloud should do; by RAW this is just a creature like any other, occupying space and preventing opponents from passing through, but that's obviously less interesting than if you bend the RAW to make the Living Cloudkill as large and as permeable as the spell, simply allowing it to move under its own power, and possibly concentrate 4 squares of its own area into a single square of Ooze that's solid enough to Slam or Engulf.

* Living Acid Fog with Acid Splash and Melf's Acid Arrow - This was my first experiment in combining multiple spells, and it went very poorly, and kind of burned me out on doing any more of them. I got very cheaty with the RAW and said that while combining *two* spells means being limited to the slower speed, *three* spells doesn't explicitly get that same text, so I used the middle range of the three to set speed. However, using all of them together resulted in a Living Spell that did a LOT of acid damage, and perhaps it would have been better to just make a standard Acid Fog. As with Cloudkill, the Solid Fog effect that's built into the original spell is completely inapplicable to the per-RAW Living Spell, but this would be a reasonable place to add house rules, perhaps saying that it should have a much higher Grapple bonus than the Cloudkill did, since its vapors are denser. One alternative that I contemplated would have been for the Acid Fog spell to spawn Acid Splash mini-slimes as a special ability, but I went with this version instead for now, just so I could say I tried it.

* No level 7 living spell created.

* Living Sunburst - The one and only example of a Huge spell which I ended up creating, this Ooze is best thought of as simply being a miniature sun brought to earth, rolling around in a giant sphere rather than blobbing out into its full squarish area; since it doesn't Blind creatures unless it hits them with its slam attack, I figure that the rolling ball of incandescent Ooze must be covered with a crust of dirt and ash that gathers as it rolls around, and that only when it attacks does this outer shell crack enough to let the blinding light out, requiring a Reflex save to close your eyes before it can melt your face off. Since Sunburst is mostly deadly to undead, I figure that this particular Living Spell was probably deliberately created as some sort of doomsday weapon against a nation of vampires or liches or something. While probably one of the weaker level 8 spells, I thought it seemed deadly enough to be worth standing as my only high-end Living Spell so far. As with the Acid spell, I considered adding an ability which would let it spawn Living Flares, but didn't try to stretch my homebrew-Fu that far; still, a relationship between the two seems reasonable to rule, and they could commonly be encountered together.

* No level 9 living spell created.

ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Post by ThePurple » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:38 am

I created quite a few for the Mournland-centered 4e Paragon campaign that I ran my players through. Thankfully, 4e living spells aren't beholden to arbitrary template rules for their creation.

The classification I went with was for at-will spells to be minions, encounter spells to be standards, and daily spells to be elites. For at-wills, I've used scorching burst (fire damage and explode in a close burst 1 when they are killed), magic missile (force damage with no attack roll), and arc lightning (lightning damage and teleport from one target to another, injuring both). For encounters, I've used frostburn (fire and cold damage, leaves behind diff terrain that deals cold and fire damage when it leaves a space), cursegrind (necrotic damage, places a debuff on a target hit by the slam and all creatures affected by the debuff take damage from the slam any time it hits), lightning bolt (bigger version of the arc lightning), fireball (bigger version of the scorching burst), and burning weapons (fire damage, ignited the PCs' weapons/implements so that they'd take fire damage while holding them but they'd also deal additional fire damage). For dailies, I've used ice storm (fancier frostburn that only dealt cold damage and had a cold damage aura) and lightning serpent (fancier lightning bolt that also did poison damage and slow). I was going to create more but the campaign never got far enough for me to start stating out the higher level spells.

In my experience/opinion, the proper way to create a living spell shouldn't be via a template. You just find spells that have interesting effects and then create the monster around the idea. If it's not going to be something that's actually something of a threat, there's no real point creating it (for the same reason that you don't create the stats for non-combatants that players interact with). You can always *describe* the weird "failed" living spells that the players pass by (I've always thought that it would be really interesting for a PC wizard to have a living prestidigitation as a familiar and have just now learned about the 3e Spell Sovereign PC) but including them in combat is just an exercise in the fruitless because they aren't tactically relevant.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:53 pm

I also statted something up based on Contagion, although this breaks the rule against using single-target spells. I guess I figured it would be close enough.

Return to “Eberron”