Dragonmarks 6/18/16: Faith and Wisdom

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Re: Dragonmarks 6/18/16: Faith and Wisdom

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:58 am

Beoric wrote:
HellcowKeith wrote:Another is a tendency (as mentioned in the Daelkyr Cults Q&A) to perceive aberrant things as attractive. So it's not just that I have learned not to be creeped out by mind flayers... its that I have an instinctive awe of them, or that I perceive a gibbering mouther as a thing of beauty and hear its words in a different way than you do. It's not a decision I've made; it is simply built into my mental makeup.

I bet someone in the know could identify these guys by their appearance. They might remove all of their hair to look more like most aberrations, or slick it back with shiny grease, or wear dreadlocks made to look like tentacles. Their skin might be oiled to make it shiny. They might prefer leather clothing, tanned using processes to make it translucent (like vellum) or to leave the connective tissue, and treated to make it shiny and slick.

Greasy hair? :o

I'll have you know, us mind-flayers give great head-massages to our thralls friends and that we also have a hair-dressing saloon where the best illithid-stylists wash their hair and add volume and bounce. :P
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Beoric » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
The way I see it, you have a large number of NPCs who are vulnerable, for whatever reason, to domination by various aberrations, and you have a bunch of unaligned aberrations who are each gathering as many cultists as they can attract (or dominate) and then bending those people to their own personal will.

So I don't see this as an issue of "functioning as a society". I see it as an issue of various Daelkyr agents trying to bend different parts of the society in different ways.

In my society, we call such agents "politicians," or sometimes "talk show hosts."

Big Mac wrote:

Wouldn't the "unstable cults" simply be as strong as the leaders of those cults"?

Sure. Then the cult only lasts as long as the leader lives.

Anyway, I agree with the Infernal Bovine's comment, above, that the Marcher orcs who follow Cults of the Dragon Below aren't really crazy, they are just alien. That's all I was getting at.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:44 am

A bit off-topic, but:

HellcowKeith wrote:A second possibility is that Dragonmarks are a manifestation of the Prophecy... and the Daelkyr believe that if they can distill and decipher Dragonmarks, they can create tools to directly manipulate the Prophecy.

There really should be someone out there - maybe a cult that is connected to some sort of aberrations that assist with body modification - who "steals" dragonmarks from skins of victims and then transplants them onto their own skin (in the hopes of absorbing the power of the stolen marks).

What might be fun is to have a "dragonmark thief" that uses similar sorts of rules to the "Use Magic Device" rules, so that sometimes they get the stolen dragonmark to work and sometimes it's pretty much just a decoration.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:17 pm

This is a pretty good idea.

Say, have you read Keith Baker's first Eberron trilogy of novels, The City of Towers, The Shattered Land, and the Gates of Night? I think you should.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby Beoric » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Big Mac wrote:A bit off-topic, but:

HellcowKeith wrote:A second possibility is that Dragonmarks are a manifestation of the Prophecy... and the Daelkyr believe that if they can distill and decipher Dragonmarks, they can create tools to directly manipulate the Prophecy.

There really should be someone out there - maybe a cult that is connected to some sort of aberrations that assist with body modification - who "steals" dragonmarks from skins of victims and then transplants them onto their own skin (in the hopes of absorbing the power of the stolen marks).

What might be fun is to have a "dragonmark thief" that uses similar sorts of rules to the "Use Magic Device" rules, so that sometimes they get the stolen dragonmark to work and sometimes it's pretty much just a decoration.

Interesting thought. There may be more to it than just cutting out the mark, though. I think dragonmarks are normally attached to their owners in more than a physical sense. IIRC, excoriates used to have their dragonmarks physically cut out or off, but it was more symbolic than anything, because they would just grow back - and if the limb they were attached to is severed, the dragonmark will actually grow back on a different part of the body.

On the other hand, the rules might be different if it isn't a "living" dragonmark. Erandis Vol has a dragonmark, but it isn't "living", and therefore she can't use it.

I would think the Cultists would need to cut it out from a living victim using some sort of ritual in order to transfer the power.

I note in the third book of the Draconic Prophecies trilogy there was a method for stealing dragonmarks.
Beoric
Ogre

Previous

Return to Eberron