Dragonmarks 7/13/16: Druids

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Dragonmarks 7/13/16: Druids

Postby HellcowKeith » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 am

I just posted a new Eberron Q&A at my website:
http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-71116-druids/

This opens with a discussion of primal magic, and continues with questions tied to the Eldeen druid sects and a few more general questions about druids.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Re: Dragonmarks 7/13/16: Druids

Postby AvonRekaes » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Awesome. I really appreciate the look at the Children of Winter especially. I previously misunderstood them to be druids that revered death, and that all of them welcomed the Mourning as the harbinger of Winter. I made a homebrewed Druid Circle for them (the Circle of Ruin), but after reading this article I may need to rewrite the fluff a bit so it's a circle that only the Children's extremists follow.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby HellcowKeith » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:41 pm

AvonRekaes wrote:I really appreciate the look at the Children of Winter especially. I previously misunderstood them to be druids that revered death, and that all of them welcomed the Mourning as the harbinger of Winter.

The Children of Winter RESPECT death, and feel that we have thrown the cycle of life and death out of balance. They're in some ways intensely Darwinian, and maintain that by coddling the weak and eliminating disease we are breaking the world (... and that if we keep doing it, the world will strike back). Those who seek to correct this by sowing disease and such end up as villains, but that's not a path all of them follow. I had a CoW PC in one of my campaigns who was specifically trying to solve the Mourning so he could prove to the others that this WASN'T the foretold Winter, and that they should be working against it as opposed to trying to hasten its coming.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Dragonlance has something a bit like this (with two sources of magic). I've seen it discussed quite a bit, but never really got my head around it.

They also had, even back in the 2e days, the ability to believe in a force, rather than a deity.

I suppose that the main difference with doing things this way is that you could technically have a multiclass cleric/druid that does not need to be a "cleric of the nature god"/"druid of the nature god" character.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:36 pm

Having experienced 4e, this is something I feel inclined to add in my table. Interesting stuff, btw.

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Warning about keith-baker.com turned into a new topic called: Google warning about keith-baker.com.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Return to Eberron