Vol's Descendants

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Vol's Descendants

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:33 pm

From City of Stormreach, page 153:

"With data she has been collecting for centuries, Vol
is slowly but surely tracking down her own mortal
descendants—those who would today have good claim
to nobility in a dragonmarked house, had their own
house not been betrayed—and bringing them into
House Thuranni under the Uruvai banner. House Vol
is returning to Eberron, and it hides behind a mask
called the Uruvai."

This comes from the adventure scenario "House of Shadows" which proposes an idea where Erandis is using the House Thuranni members in Xen'drik to uncover Qabalrin secrets. It feels like maybe this isn't quite kosher with the rest of canon. As in, there never actually was a House Vol and I'm a little surprised to find any blood descendants of the line of Vol. Thoughts?
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: Vol's Descendants

Postby Beoric » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 pm

House Vol did exist: see ECS p. 228. But since Vol is always portrayed as the elven equivalent of a teenager, I doubt she had children of her own. She may have had nieces and nephews, and certainly would have had cousins, and they could have descendants.

I have a storyline running that plays into the fact that dragonmarks occur in family bloodlines, and that those blood ties exist in cousins as well as descendants. In my campaign, House Vol were the descendants of the eladrin House Volinnae. In addition to House Vol, there was another elven offshoot of House Valinnae; the family Valennae is from Khorvaire, with the split happening before the Vol family became House Vol. In my Eberron, the same bloodline that manifested dragonmarks in House Vol had the potential to manifest them in the related families, including eladrin born on Eberron.

Now, I know you won't use the 4e eladrin stuff. But you could have a cousin family of House Vol with the potential to manifest dragonmarks. And descendants of the non-lich members of House Vol could have the potential to manifest dragonmarks.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 pm

You know, it does say that. I guess I was remembering this quote from Keith: "You can’t reestablish House Vol, because House Vol never existed. The line of Vol was a noble family as opposed to a mercantile guild, and it was wiped out before the Twelve came into existence." I suppose I was interpreting the Stormreach quote as indicative of a Dragonmarked House, rather than a noble House Vol.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Beoric » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Right. The noble House of Vol was destroyed before the Marks of Warding, Making, Storm, Passage, Handling, Detection and Finding had even appeared. That was more than 1000 years before the War of the Mark and the establishment of the Twelve.

Note the Twelve was established before the discovery of the Mark of Finding, and before Kundarak and Tharashk, at least, were established as Houses. I seem to recall this is lampshaded in a reference somewhere suggesting that the founder's choice of name was prophetic.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:13 am

I suppose the idea is that there are family members, who never manifested any of the various dragonmarks, who would pass on the potential ability to their children.

If Vol could track some of these people down, and encourage them to have children with each other, she could increase the chances of a dragonmark coming back.

If people were charmed and/or background events were manipulated, Vol might even be able to cause some men and women to meet and fall in love with each other...without them realising they are being played. For example "mutual friends" could be agents of Vol ensuring that people meet.

Vol might also use certain techniques to either supress a dragonmark (until the time is right for them to come back) or try to force one to appear, in a potential candidate.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby HellcowKeith » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:44 pm

The Uruvai are a creation of C.A. Suleiman, and I'm not sure it's an idea that's been picked up elsewhere in canon. Certainly, "her mortal descendants" would have to mean people with blood ties to the line of Vol, not her PERSONAL descendants - since a) she was too young to have children which she became a lich and b) the Undying Court was being pretty ruthless in killing every known member of the bloodline.

However, ALLIES of the line of Vol were allowed to accept exile rather than execution - hence the Bloodsails in the Lhazaar Principalities and the spread of the Blood of Vol into Khorvaire. So if you assume that some of those exiles had SOME sort of blood connection to the line of Vol - or that one or more actual Vol heirs were smuggled among them - it's possible to have this sort of storyline.

Re: "House Vol", I do prefer to avoid that phrasing because to me it reflects the mercantile construction of The Twelve... when you say "House Vol" in the same sentence as "House Thuranni" it sounds like these are two similar entities, while in reality one is a nobility and the other is a mercantile guild. While Vol was technically a noble house, the AERENI would call it "the line of Vol", never "House Vol." So it's a semantic thing, but I still prefer to keep the distinction.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Return to Eberron