Plundering Storm King's Thunder for Eberron

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Plundering Storm King's Thunder for Eberron

Postby enderxenocide0 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:03 pm

From all that I've heard about Storm King's Thunder, it sounds like it could really easily be stripped for parts and used for an Eberron game involving the Age of Giants. But more than that, even, it seems to have some specific elements that could be used in Eberron. For instance, this Reddit AMA indicates that the adventure contains an airship! Naturally, I imagine it's of some Lantanese design rather than using elemental binding, but perhaps the rules could give us a good idea of how to design a 5E Eberron airship. Aside from that, there appear to be magic items/runes that can be used to combat dragons, which we could say were created by the Giants of Xen'drik or perhaps by the Lords of Dust.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: Plundering Storm King's Thunder for Eberron

Postby Big Mac » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:20 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:For instance, this Reddit AMA indicates that the adventure contains an airship! Naturally, I imagine it's of some Lantanese design rather than using elemental binding, but perhaps the rules could give us a good idea of how to design a 5E Eberron airship.

I presume that there must have been a person who discovered that they could enslave elementals and force them to power airships...

...and I presume that there must have been another type (a less successful type) of airship that existed on Eberron before that date.

If you are talking of the Age of Giants, there must be quite a few modern things (maybe even dragonmarks) that would not have existed back then.

Perhaps a Lantanese airship design would be right for an "Arcane Age" version of Eberron. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby enderxenocide0 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:I presume that there must have been a person who discovered that they could enslave elementals and force them to power airships...

...and I presume that there must have been another type (a less successful type) of airship that existed on Eberron before that date.

If you are talking of the Age of Giants, there must be quite a few modern things (maybe even dragonmarks) that would not have existed back then.

Perhaps a Lantanese airship design would be right for an "Arcane Age" version of Eberron. :)

Elemental binding has existed since the Age of Giants. The Sulatar drow inherited the leftover knowledge, which was later stolen by Zil gnome scholars that encountered the drow in Xen'drik. Vehicles like the fire sleds predate the dragonmarks and don't require them to function. Undoubtedly the Sul'at League or Cul'sir Empire had their own airships, though I wouldn't necessarily assume they were less successful. I suspect that an Lantanese airship will be more clockwork or steampunk in design, or utilize some black powder engine, as would be appropriate for worshippers of Gond. Although, I guess Lantan was destroyed in the Spellplague and I haven't looked to see what's become of them since the Sundering, so it could be something completely different.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:28 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I presume that there must have been a person who discovered that they could enslave elementals and force them to power airships...

Elemental binding has existed since the Age of Giants. The Sulatar drow inherited the leftover knowledge, which was later stolen by Zil gnome scholars that encountered the drow in Xen'drik. Vehicles like the fire sleds predate the dragonmarks and don't require them to function. Undoubtedly the Sul'at League or Cul'sir Empire had their own airships, though I wouldn't necessarily assume they were less successful.

Thanks for the clarification on when this was discovered.

It's interesting that so many people on Eberron find binding elementals acceptable. I wonder if a Planescape-like game based around Eberron would include a faction of elementals, that were working to identify the sources of elemental capture and binding, so that they could launch a raid that destroys books, kills craftsmen and removes this knowledge from the Material Plane.

enderxenocide0 wrote:I suspect that an Lantanese airship will be more clockwork or steampunk in design, or utilize some black powder engine, as would be appropriate for worshippers of Gond. Although, I guess Lantan was destroyed in the Spellplague and I haven't looked to see what's become of them since the Sundering, so it could be something completely different.

I had a look around, but couldn't find any pictures of them. I guess that they might look a bit steampunkish, althought I've never quite thought of gnomes as being steampunkish myself (even in Dragonlance/Spelljammer).

The Forgotten Realms Wiki article for Lantan shows Lantan being mostly destroyed by floods caused by the Spellplague. It looks like the 5th Edition canon has not gone beyond the Sword Coast yet, so I'm not sure what happened. But if Lantan had flying airships, I would have thought they would have been used to let some survivors escape. :?

Luckily, we don't have to deal with all the confusion, if we are just raiding the airships from Lantan to use in Eberron. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby enderxenocide0 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:08 pm

I suppose I wasn't clear, but the airship featured in Storm King's Thunder is the first of its kind. I was simply assuming it would be built by the Lantanese if they still exist. In the 3E material for Forgotten Realms, they Lantanese gnomes (who worshipped Gond) were known for creating clockwork automatons, such as the Gondsmen, as well as specializing in black powder firearms and alchemical substances. If anything in FR had a steampunkish vibe, I'd say it was them.

Also, there is a faction of Zil gnomes that considers elemental binding to be slavery and seeks to find alternative means of producing airships and other items/vehicles that require bound elementals. Information is in Magic of Eberron.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:The Forgotten Realms Wiki article for Lantan shows Lantan being mostly destroyed by floods caused by the Spellplague. It looks like the 5th Edition canon has not gone beyond the Sword Coast yet, so I'm not sure what happened. But if Lantan had flying airships, I would have thought they would have been used to let some survivors escape. :?

People in Toril believed Lantan was destroyed during the Spellplague, but according to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (5e), in truth it was transported to Abeir. However, the Lantanese weren't prepared for this (unlike the Halruaans, who made preparations beforehand to not be affected so hard when they were transported to Abeir), and no one knows what happened to Lantan in Abeir, how they survived the world change event, and if they were enslaved there by primordials and dragons or not (that's entirely for the DM to decide).

Lantan was returned to Toril in the Sundering, and a few merchants have beginning to trade with the Sword Coast cities again, though the merchants do not speak about their land or they lives. There is too much secrecy in the flying lantanese ships nowadays, with guards enforcing that policy by any means necessary and that stuff.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Beoric » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:51 am

Big Mac wrote:
enderxenocide0 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It's interesting that so many people on Eberron find binding elementals acceptable.

A couple of points:

1. Don't forget, the warforged were property in Khorvaire until 996, and in some nations they still may as well be.

2. Goblins were enslaved by humans for a long time.

3. IIRC, the Code of Galifar does not outlaw slavery, it outlaws enslaving citizens.

4. Notwithstanding the above, the ethics of elemental binding is a live issue. Every slave culture has had its abolitionists.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby HellcowKeith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:16 pm

One of the critical issues on this point is how you depict "raw" elementals.

In MY Eberron, the pure elementals (as opposed to anthropomorphic entities such as djinni) are extremely alien in mindset and form. They fundamentally do not belong in our universe and don't understand it. There's a bit in my novella "Principles of Fire" where the protagonists are talking with a bound fire elemental and the expert observes that it can't really tell humans apart, simply recognizing them as "mostly water." A fire elemental, fundamentally, wants to BURN. First of all, this means that if you release an fire elemental it's not going to say "Thanks, brother" and be your friend; instead it's going to start burning things, because THERE'S NOT ENOUGH FIRE IN THIS BLIGHTED WORLD. Second, there's the fact that bound elementals aren't necessarily unhappy with their lot. They don't experience the world as we do, and in serving as the elemental ring, an elemental is BURNING. It's not ideal, but it's not the same experience as a human locked in a small box.

Now, as Beoric says, this is an active issue and there are groups that DO take issue with it. But the point is that while WE know elementals are intelligent because we have a magic book that contains all truths of the universe, that doesn't mean that fact is common knowledge or accepted by the majority of the people of Eberron. They don't look like humans, they don't act like humans, their language doesn't sound like a language to us (something also touched on in Principles of Fire). It's a little like someone announcing that plutonium is sentient and nuclear power plants are torture. SOME people would take this seriously, but most people aren't going to worry about it.

At the heart of it, I'd argue that the greatest crime isn't binding elementals - it's summoning them to our universe in the first place, as it's fundamentally a place that they don't belong in and the general experience of being here is unpleasant and confusing for them. A fire elemental belongs in Fernia, surrounded by primal flame; if you bring it here, it's only natural for it to start burning things to try to restore the proper balance.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Postby enderxenocide0 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:13 pm

So I've been reading Storm King's Thunder this past week and I actually think, with some modifications, it could make for an interesting Eberron adventure. The core premise would have to change a bit, probably something where the Giants of old are mysteriously returning to Xen'drik, appearing on the continent, harrying Stormreach and other outposts and adventurers.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Return to Eberron