Developing Zarash'ak

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Developing Zarash'ak

Postby Beoric » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:09 am

In addition to my campaign in Darguun, I am also running a campaign which is spending a lot of time in the Shadow Marches.

At the moment, the Emerald Claw has kidnapped the sister of one of the PCs (a Tharashk heir, whose mother was attacked by vampires while she was pregnant, and is therefore of interest to them). They are trying to track down the Claw, who are holed up in a safehouse in the Karrnathi Expatriate area of Zarash'ak, in the eastern Ring. The Karrnathi intend to smuggle her out through Breland, but it is early 996 and the War is still going, so border security is tight. They requested that a ship be sent via the Sivis Message Station, but though their messenger got the message to the Message Station, and thence to Breland, Our Heroes intercepted the messenger on his way back. The messenger took his own life, but the PCs got the coded message.

So the Claw have a problem on their hands. The message was sent, but they haven't confirmed that. Their messenger has disappeared, which means they know the Message Station might be watched. They can't use a local or a Lyrandar ship to transport their cargo (a living 13 year old girl and Tharashk heir), so they have to make other arrangements and have sent for a trusted ship, which is several days away. They also need forged travel documents for themselves and their cargo.

Anyway, I am running this tomorrow, and I thought I would share my rough roster, grouped geographically. Some of these are canon characters, so if anyone sees any discrepancies, or has any ideas, let me know.
Beoric
Ogre

Re: Developing Zarash'ak

Postby Beoric » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:15 am

ZARASH'AK CHARACTER ROSTER

Dovi d’Ghallanda, CG female halfling inkeeper. soft-hearted, very hairy toes; wants to advance career; someone she loves or respects told her not to help (who?); has asked the Dockworkers to help arrange smiggling a live rare food animal for her to one of the major centers.

Grumbar, N male ogre bouncer. morose, unusual hair colour; wants to run a bar; is secretly involved with the Blood of Vol.

Asdren Morrus, N female human chambermaid. harsh, slouching posture; wants to improve her position; doesn't like orcs or half-orcs; is beginning to listen to the prophet Jhugaar.

Tryn, NG female halfling Ghallanda Enclave Guard. scrupulously honest; stiff bearing; remembers Asta and wants to help; has a 'thing" for the chambermaid Asdren and tries to impress her.

Rienne d'Lyrandar, CG female half-elf windwright. cowardly, cackling laugh; will help the PCs if it benefits her eg. In trade, or by opposing her rivals; is attracted to Asdren the maid.

Arimar d'Lyrandar, CN male half-elf viceroy for House Lyrandar. sunny optimist; always quoting religious texts; ambitious and wants to be posted somewhere better than Zarash'ak; was the victim of Emerald Claw terrorist tactics during the Last War; will not help the PCs if he thinks it betrays his duties to the House.

Lyrandar Members, CE half-elf Storm Front Cultists. loyal to Cult; largish presence in Zarash'ak due to lack f scrutiny; well liked by the Dock Workers (who don't know about the Cult), and have trusted them enough to bring them in on the smuggling plan.

X'ennia d'Lyrandar, CG female half-elf Ship Captain. even tempered; squints; ambitous; has been the victim of the Deneith Saboteur's activities but doesn't know who to blame; has used Blacksnout Grubcheck's services and given her referrals.

Gatekeeper Druids, N mostly orc . follow rigid discipline; many of the younger ones are bored and seek excitement.

Clan Orgaal Saboteur, CE female . violent nature; imposing; does not want to compromise her operations against Torrm and Aashta; currently trying to discretit/ unbalance Maagrim Torrm in relation to some sort of romance.

Ranadala Syrralan d’Sivis , CN female gnome . abrasive, crooked posture; wants to atone for past deeds; reluctant to help the PCs because she knows the Message Station is being watched.

Elyman Severin d’Sivis , N male gnome . aloof; nervous eye twitch; bored, seeks excitement; reluctant to help PCs if it means breaching his obligations to the client; thinks Ghallanda's "assistance" to their clients in running messages is cutting into his business.

Maagrim Torrn, N female half-orc triumvir. aloof; braided hair; thinks the players actions could be dangerous because (a) could upset order in City and (b) she suspects there may be more going on than anyone thinks.

Daric d’Velderan , CG male human triumvir. diplomatic; enunciates very clearly; in debt, and being blackmained by Elyman d'Sivis for a matter going back to her younger adventures.

Khundar’aashta, NE male half-orc triumvir. vengeful by nature; looney laugh; wants revenge on the Belashyssa cultists for ______; thinks the PCs will only make things worse, and should leave well enough alone; strongly supportive of the cult to Kyrzin.

Kyrzin Cultists, NE mostly orc . apparently amoral; most are bald; no real agenda, but are the target of machinations by Ambassador Shosharani.

Sosharani, LE male Inspired ambassador for Riedra. inquisitive; very rigid posture; will resist becoming involved in the PCs' problems; has become romantically attached to a woman from Clan Velderaan; is involved in plots to undermine Threefangs mission, and the Lyandar's position in Zarash'ak; is clandestinely suppporting Tryn Ghallanda's career.

Dock Workers (Brudan, Sharak, Shabash, Mog, & Bul), N male orc dock workers. Irreverent; are planning intrigue together (smuggling gromits for Dovin the Inkeeper) and need help with it; friends with Blacksnout Grubcheck the forger.

Yurak Torrm, CG male orc druid. very honourable; a bit of a dandy (for an orc); has been cursed, as a result of which he is secretly working for the Belashyrra Cultists; irritated by Threefangs' attempts to gain the triumvirs' attention; second cousin of Maargin Torrn.

Deneith Saboteur, CN male . rash; immaculate; mission is to undermine Tharashk; is annoyed with Beoric, whose party unwittingly screwed up his plans when they were last in town (they chartered a boat that he needed); is aware of the presence of the Emerald Claw, who have claimed magic items he needed for his activities.

Theoban Argland, NG male human terrorist. enjoys life's pleasures; paces when thinking; mission is to obtain artifacts of interest to the Emerald Claw; in his other life, he has done work for Tharashk, and is friend of Khundar'aashta, who does not know he is with the Emerald Claw.

Maddox, CE male human terrorist. courteous; pronounced scar on cheek.

Emerald Claw Troops, N human terrorist. zealots.

Harika ir'Vemel, Emerald Claw Necromancer, CE female human terrorist. mischevious; pierced nose; family has links to House Orien, and she tends to bait members of House Lyrandar; considers Ranadala d'Sivis an ally, since they had dealings during the Last War, when Ranadala was posted as a communications officer in Karrnath.

Vedin, NG male human proprietor of Vedim's Restaurant. sober; missing tooth; afraid to help the PCs because Claw might go after his family.

Renn, CG male human busboy and delivery boy at Verdim's Restaurant. curious; distinctive pendant (shark tooth on a leather thong); doesn't like Aundairans.

Haydith, LN female human waitress at Verdim;s Restaurant. very honourable; licks lips; is involved with the Emerald Claw, and learned later that her support lead to terrorism related deaths; wants to atone, but needs an out.

Jhugaar, NE male goblin prophet of the Voice in the Darkness (the Overlord Timesus).

Clan Orgaal Orcs, NE mostly orcs . barbaric; seek to secretly undermine Torrm and Aashta without damaging House Tharashk.

Blacksnout Grubchock, CE female half-orc forger. friendly, dandyish; charges 25 gp/page; has a fondness for venison stew; doesn't think he can help.

Belashyrra Cultists, LE human, orc or half-orc cultists, spies and information brokers. arrogant; distinctive obsidian daggers; currently opposed to the heretical Storm Front cult and carry an unreasonable hatred for the current Viceroy; will trade aid to the PCs for information.

Lord Toka Threefangs, N male kobold ambassador of Kethelrax the Cunning. proud; prone to whistling; wants to secure work for Droaamish kobold trapsmiths with the Dragonne's Roar; will help the PCs if they deliver a sample of kobold work to the triumvirs; has some dealings with the Belashyrra cults in dealing in magical knowledge/ components/ artifacts; very supporting of the Web goblins (as a kobold he can relate to their oppression).

Goblin Bodygards of Lord Toka, N goblin bodyguard. devoted to Threefangs with religious ferver; will practically worship the PCs if they help Threefangs or get his favour, but will respond to any percived insult to Threefangs or goblins poorly.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't know the region at all, but the Eberron Wiki article for Zarash'ak says that there is a religions ritual, called Great Feast of Baaldra. Maybe you could put that event into the time your PCs spend there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Beoric » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:04 am

Its a good thought, but I'm afraid it isn't going to work. According to Sharn: City of Towers, Boldrei’s Feast occurs on 9 Rhaan, which is early autumn. That makes sense, since it would be a harvest festival. Since Boldrei = Baaldra, I assume Baaldra's Feast would be around the same time, for the same purpose. My players are there in Vult, so they would miss it.

On the other hand, if they are still there in a couple of weeks they will experience the Night of Long Shadows in Zarash'ak. That should be an experience.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby HellcowKeith » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Is Haydith secretly Haydith ir'Wynarn, smuggled out of Wroat and working as a waitress in Zarash'ak?
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Postby enderxenocide0 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:03 pm

HellcowKeith wrote:Is Haydith secretly Haydith ir'Wynarn, smuggled out of Wroat and working as a waitress in Zarash'ak?

New plot hook #32 for my campaign...
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Beoric » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 am

HellcowKeith wrote:Is Haydith secretly Haydith ir'Wynarn, smuggled out of Wroat and working as a waitress in Zarash'ak?

Well, its Vult, 995 YK, so Haydith would be thirteen years old at most, and would not have travelled to Wroat as yet. But Haydith is a Wynarn family name, and the waitress (who is a Karrnathi expatriate) is named after a popular great-aunt of the princess.

In truth, every time I run across the name of a Karrnathi NPC I put it in my random generator of Karrnathi names. My assumption is that "Haydith" is as common a name in Karrnath as the royal names "Elizabeth", "Charles", "Andrew", and "William" are in Britain. I need shortcuts if I'm going to generate a few dozen NPCs in two or three hours, complete with basic personalities and relationships to each other.

I am quite enjoying this process, and I'm finding it runs nicely at the table. For my own use, I put this in a spreadsheet and include a column listing the factions the NPCs are affiliated with, locations they are likely to be found in, and the name of the programmed token I am using for them in Maptools. With a one word query I can create a list of everyone who is likely to be found in the Golden Dragon Inn, for example, and have a nice reminder of how to run them.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby enderxenocide0 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:32 am

Beoric wrote:and the name of the programmed token I am using for them in Maptools.

Beoric... do you have a map of Zarash'ak you're using in Maptools? If so, can you post it here? PLEASE?
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby Beoric » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:
Beoric wrote:and the name of the programmed token I am using for them in Maptools.

Beoric... do you have a map of Zarash'ak you're using in Maptools? If so, can you post it here? PLEASE?

I do have a few maps, which were early attempts to map neighborhoods so I could patch them together as the party moved off the edge of the map. These one's aren't true geomorphs though. I may do some generic city geomporphs and use them for Rhukaan Draal. There is also a certain amount of "white space" which can be filled in with other buildings.

The problem is, I have taken objects from so many sources, I wouldn't have a clue who to credit, so I'm not comfortable about publishing them. I will send you a link in a PM, and for a limited time I will do the same for, say, the first half dozen or so regulars on this board who ask me to (and for Keith, of course).
Beoric
Ogre

Return to Eberron