Brainstorming: Graywall Chase

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Brainstorming: Graywall Chase

Postby enderxenocide0 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:31 pm

I plan to start my next session In Media Res with a chase through Graywall. Tolri, a female tiefling wizard of the Sons of Liberty, is being chased through the streets of Graywall by one of the players (a Tharashk bounty hunter). Tolri is described as crafting ritual scrolls that create terrible explosions, but for the purposes of my game, I'm saying she's a particularly gifted alchemist that concocts unstable alchemical bombs. I'm looking for a couple quick, random ideas:

1. What is Tolri's current plot? I want there to be some tension in this chase, as in: if Tolri gets away, what are the stakes?
2. What unique features of Graywall would make the chase more interesting?
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: Brainstorming: Graywall Chase

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:28 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:I plan to start my next session In Media Res with a chase through Graywall. Tolri, a female tiefling wizard of the Sons of Liberty, is being chased through the streets of Graywall by one of the players (a Tharashk bounty hunter). Tolri is described as crafting ritual scrolls that create terrible explosions, but for the purposes of my game, I'm saying she's a particularly gifted alchemist that concocts unstable alchemical bombs. I'm looking for a couple quick, random ideas:

1. What is Tolri's current plot? I want there to be some tension in this chase, as in: if Tolri gets away, what are the stakes?

Graywall is quite close to the border of Breland, so one potential consequence of her escaping could be that she will get into Breland, where she is going to carry out some sort of plot.

If you want to increase the stakes, then maybe she has worked out the PCs are onto her and has set off a fuse in her hideout that is going to blow up a ton of bombs and destroy all the evidence of what the Sons of Liberty are planning to do in Breland.

enderxenocide0 wrote:2. What unique features of Graywall would make the chase more interesting?

Graywall used to be in Breland, so how about having a few really old buildings, that hail from the time of Breland. Tolri could be sneaking into some of those buildings looking for some sort of information about a location over the border in Breland proper.

According to the Graywall article on Eberron Wiki a lot of the signs in Graywall are pictorial signs, because a lot of the locals are illiterate. (I'm told that the pub signs in London hail from a time when that was the case over here, and that more businesses had signs similar to that.) Anyhoo you could describe the chase in terms of Tolri turning left at the corner where there is a red fish or running into a building with a boot hanging outside or stuff like that.

Another thing the wiki article says is that buildings are designed to work for large and small creatures. So make sure the PCs know they are running through big doorways and have a mixture of high and low tables in taverns. Maybe Tolri could dive underneath a high table in a pub where it is hard to run around the people there and then jump onto a small table and hop through an open ground floor window. By the time the PCs get around the obstructions she could be gone forcing them to guess which way she went or split up.

A third thing the article says is that there is a network of tunnels under the city called the Khyras (or the Deep Doors). So you should definitely have the PCs go down there at some point.

There are four districts above ground. You probably want to have the PCs find Tolri in the most appropriate district, but you might want to have them chase her out of that district and into another district.

Bloodstone is the largest district. If the PCs ran into that district they would notice the red stone used to build most of the buildings. If they left the district the colour of the buildings would change.

The Kennels is where non-monstrous races live, so the type of people the PCs are racing past would change when the PCs enter and leave this district.

Little Graywall is designed for kobolds and goblins, so the buildings are built for small creatures.

The Throne is where the mayor lives and the Flayer's Guard are found here. So they might get in the way of a chase (or try to help if the PCs are working with them).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Beoric » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Tolri has "evidence" (real, manufactured, or possibly imagined) that the Brelish Queen cheated, and Boranel is not actually the father of any of his supposed heirs. OR she has perfected a formula for a toxin as part of a plot to kill/incapacitate Boranel. Either way, she is running from the SoL safehouse in Bloodstone to one of the Sivis message stations in the Calabas or the Karda to send the evidence/formula.

I think should include a trip through the processing and kitchen areas of a grist mill, a goblin warren (tight quareters in there), and a monstrous bar with a brawl going on, at the very least. If the lose her it would be good if it was near Xorchylic's keep, or the Deep Door, so the party is forced to wonder if she went in there. Either one of those could be a good diversion (go on, press the shiny red button...).

I note I speculated on the layout of Droaam in another thread, although no one was biting at the time: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15806.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby NelsonNelsor » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:12 pm

Beoric wrote:I note I speculated on the layout of Droaam in another thread, although no one was biting at the time: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15806.

Tying back to your request for a map then, you could reskin for a map of Graywall, the map of Zootopia from the movie of the same name. A quick google image search won't give you any street-by-street details, but it will give you a picture of a, 'functional' metropolis built and sectioned to accommodate multiple body types & life style needs.
NelsonNelsor
Orc

Return to Eberron