Recommended Eberron books/reading? (Question)

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Dhaylen
Orc

Recommended Eberron books/reading? (Question)

Post by Dhaylen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:50 am

Intro:
I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons through the world of Eberron, as presented by D&D Online!
(More can be found in my intoduction, on these forums.) ;)

After purchasing the core manuals, it seemed clear that the Forgotten Realms were being used as the base guide,
but that the other worlds were 'equally' relevant/supported in 5e.

My first campaign guide was PoTA (Princes of the Apocolypse) - best out of all 5e campaign manuals, thus far, i.m.o.
It had a guide in the back on how to adapt the campaign to other worlds.

While a bit anemic, in regards to amount of information, it gave rise to hope - after the release of SCAG,
(Sword Coast Adventures Guide), that the lack of information would be made up in an Eberron sourcebook.

Alas, six campaign books later - (almost got into a review here of 5e material) - and its pretty certain that:
* Dungeons and Dragons 5e (Next) is Faerun and Faerun is every setting that ever existed.

i.e. We have flying ships, robotics, Giants, Dragons, etc. - all on the Sword Coast!!!
(A.I. Acquisitions Inc. had a 'robot' and flying ship in their recent Sword Coast campaign - a steampunk/robotic creature is in Strahds campaign, which the adventure starts in the Forgotten Realms...).)

Point is pretty clear, or it would seem - Forgotten Realms has room for all the goodies you like in other worlds. ;)
Any source material is a long time coming... if it does come.

If this is indeed the case - I, personally, do not appreciate this approach...
* Its neigh impossible to get any non-5e books into this country, for various reasons.
There is one place that I have found, about three hours away, that has many Eberron books, minus Xen'Drik, but the prices are astronomical. :)

I could use Drivethru RPG, and may... though I prefer hard copies.

The question

1: Which of the Eberron books are a must have, and in keeping with the author, Keith Bakers, vision?
2: Which have diverted away, if any, from the vision the author intended for Eberron?
3: Finally, those books which are great, but are not core, if any.

I have used eberron wiki, to fill out info about the world, as well as Keiths website, (before the whole 'hack' bit on the front page in google search. - hopefully its fixed soon.)

Im looking at the Eberron 3.5 campaign setting, and not the 4.0 campaign guide.
Also Xen'Drik - Sarlona, and Dragonmarks.

Recently I started an Eberron campaign, and the players started on different continents.
They were spit out of Strahds mist, seperate from each other, no longer in the Forgotten Realms.

One is on Sarlona, the other in the jungles of XenDrik, and the last on Argonnessen.

Conspiracy, intrigue, and entanglement already have the adventurers on their toes!
(And mine as well, as its three seperate locations trying to tie in one theme, and get them connected again!)

Thanks, in advance... no Realms hate intended. Its fine, just getting crowded on the Sword Coast recently. ;)

-D

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Recommended Eberron books/reading? (Question)

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I guess the only books that are "a must" are the core ones. Meaning the 3.5 Campaign Setting, or the 4e Campaign Guide/Player's Guide. Since getting the books is expensive in your country, I suggest to stick to the 3.5 book, because it has all the lore in just one book.

However, if you're disregarding the 4e books just because edition wars, I suggest you that give those books a second chance. The 4e books does a really great job at summarizing the setting in less pages, making for a great player-handout if your players are unfamiliar with the setting (it sold me the setting, IMC). Also, 4e has stuff that works better for the setting, like how they handled dragonmarks; or the power sources, that are more akin the "gestalt" energies of Eberron; or the classless NPCs and the use of rituals (mechanical stuff from 4e), that explains more logically the existence of jobs like magewrights, craftsmen and workers doing low-grade magical stuff without having to justify it mechanically. This is according to some stuff I've reading in Keith Baker's blog.

So, IHMO, both sources 3.5 and 4e, has their pros and cons, and combined might help to create a more fun and interesting version of Eberron. Ultimately, is just question of what do you want to do with your Eberron.

Beyond the core books, you just need the books that will be of more of use for your campaign. If you are focusing your campaign on Xendrik, the Xendrik book will be your friend, and maybe you don't need other books. If you just want to get all the lore possible, people in reddit say the Faiths, Five Nations and Dragonmarked are the best all around world lore. Maybe I will include Dragons of Eberron, for historic lore and draconic stuff, that seems to play a prominent place in Eberron lore, but this opinion is biased: I really like dragons. Maybe you will not focus your Eberron with dragon stuff, so this book may not be of use for you.

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:I suggest to stick to the 3.5 book, because it has all the lore in just one book.

If you just want to get all the lore possible, people in reddit say the Faiths, Five Nations and Dragonmarked are the best all around world lore. Maybe I will include Dragons of Eberron, for historic lore and draconic stuff -

I really like dragons.
Thank you for taking the time to write the detailed answer - much appreciated.

This is what I was looking for... The best for lore.

Are the Sarlona, Sharn, Xen'Drik books as lore heavy as the above?
Im really interested in Xen'Drik and hope its not mostly a stat book.

Again, thank you - (and I agree about dragons!) :)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 pm

I cannot speak for myself, as I only own Dragons of Eberron and the 4e books. But reading the reviews, it seems those books are all about lore of specific places instead of general world lore. If you want to focus your campaign in those places, I guess those books are ok, as they provide "local lore", and will be of use on your campaign.

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:If you want to focus your campaign in those places, I guess those books are ok, as they provide "local lore", and will be of use on your campaign.
Excellent... I need more specific information on locations in Xen'Drik.

kristianserrano
Orc

Post by kristianserrano » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:46 pm

Honestly, for lore, I recommend all of the v3.5 books except Magic of Eberron and maybe Explorer's Handbook.

That would leave:
Eberron Campaign Setting
Races of Eberron
Player's Guide
Five Nations
Dragonmarked
Faiths of Eberron
Dragons of Eberron
Secrets if Sarlona
Secrets of Xen'drik
City of Storm reach
Sharn: City of Towers
Manifest Zone, a monthly podcast exploring Eberron as a tabletop RPG setting
Savage Worlds Eberron Conversion Companion

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Each of the books, as the titles might imply, are heavy on a specific subsection of the lore. Running a game in Sharn? Get Sharn: City of Towers. Running a game on Sarlona or involving the Dreaming Dark? Get Secrets of Sarlona. If you want Xen'drik lore, I recommend both Secrets of Xen'drik and City of Stormreach. For Argonnessen, Dragons of Eberron is a must.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:55 pm

kristianserrano wrote:Honestly, for lore, I recommend all of the v3.5 books except Magic of Eberron and maybe Explorer's Handbook.
I actually like both of these books. Magic of Eberron isn't perfect, but it has a lot of interesting information on the Daelkyr, while the Explorer's Handbook is really good at giving a sense of a location's atmosphere through a brief description and encounter map. It's also helpful if you're traveling from place to place.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:04 am

You can probably give Forge of War a miss, or at least ignore the chapter on Thrane.

The 4e Eberron Campaign Guide is very good, as was mentioned above, but there isn't much of use in the 4e Eberron Player's Guide (not to be confused with the Players Guide to Eberron, which I use a lot).

In order of usefulness, I would probably rank them as follows:

1. Eberron Campaign Setting OR Eberron Campaign Guide. I probably lean toward the Setting.
2. Players Guide to Eberron
3. Regional guides, depending on where you are running your campaign: Sharn: City of Towers, Five Nations, Secrets of Sarlona, Secrets of Xen'drik, City of Stormreach, Dragons of Eberron (regional because it details Argonnesen)
4. Faiths of Eberron and/or Dragonmarked. Which comes first depends on the focus of your campaign

Those ones are books where I am likely to find nearly the whole thing useful. There are others I pick and choose from:

5. Forge of War (ignoring much of the entry for Thrane)
6. The other of the Eberron Campaign Guide or Eberron Campaign Setting, whichever you didn't get first
7. Magic of Eberron
8. Explorer's Handbook
9. Races of Eberron

I have never found anything useful in the Adventurer's Guide to Eberron.

There is also a lot of information in the Wizards archive, especially the Dragonshards: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/eb

And not forget Keith Baker's site: http://keith-baker.com/. And his old site: http://www.bossythecow.com/index2.htm.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:34 am

Dhaylen wrote:* Its neigh impossible to get any non-5e books into this country, for various reasons.
There is one place that I have found, about three hours away, that has many Eberron books, minus Xen'Drik, but the prices are astronomical. :)
Are you able to import books without paying big amounts of import duty?

There are a few Amazon stores in Europe that sell second hand (and new) copies of Eberron books. They will all charge additional postage/shipping to send things outside of their own country, but you are quite close, so hopefully the charge will not be too high.

The Book-House on The Piazza has an Eberron category, and the various prices for products show any deals on Amazon.co.uk (plus two stores on the west side of the Atlantic). I'm not sure what the postage fee from the UK to Hungary is, but if you keep an eye on the books and find one (one you want) that is cheap, perhaps the low price can offset any shipping costs. (You should also find links to all the web enhancements on the various pages. Grab them all before WotC decide to take them down.) :)

I've been grabbing Eberron novels recently, and I've got most of them for £0.01 + postage. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:17 am

kristianserrano wrote:Honestly, for lore, I recommend all of the v3.5 books except Magic of Eberron and maybe Explorer's Handbook.
Thanks Kristian!

enderxenocide0 wrote:I actually like both of these books. Magic of Eberron isn't perfect, but it has a lot of interesting information on the Daelkyr
Definitely need as much information on the Daelkyr as possible,
so it does not turn into a 'cheese fest' in how I portray them. :D
The concept is pretty cool how Ive read Keith describe them.

Thank you, Enderxenocide0

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:41 am

Beoric wrote: You can probably give Forge of War a miss, or at least ignore the chapter on Thrane.

1. Eberron Campaign Setting OR Eberron Campaign Guide. I probably lean toward the Setting.
2. Players Guide to Eberron
3. Regional guides, depending on where you are running your campaign: Sharn: City of Towers, Five Nations, Secrets of Sarlona, Secrets of Xen'drik, City of Stormreach, Dragons of Eberron (regional because it details Argonnesen)
4. Faiths of Eberron and/or Dragonmarked. Which comes first depends on the focus of your campaign

Those ones are books where I am likely to find nearly the whole thing useful. There are others I pick and choose from:

There is also a lot of information in the Wizards archive, especially the Dragonshards: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/eb

And not forget Keith Baker's site: http://keith-baker.com/. And his old site: http://www.bossythecow.com/index2.htm.
Excellent help, Beoric! Thank you.

Yes, Keith's site was a wonderful resource - just waiting for Google to straighten out the 'this site may be hacked' message.

I know Keith is working on getting this removed, but Google seems to be slow.
(You will only see the message, in google search, if you type in Keith-Baker and see the homepage...
Type in Eberron, etc, the longer links to his site wont show it.
)

Again, thank you for the post!
Big Mac wrote: Are you able to import books without paying big amounts of import duty?

There are a few Amazon stores in Europe that sell second hand (and new) copies of Eberron books.

The Book-House on The Piazza has an Eberron category, and the various prices for products show any deals on Amazon.co.uk (plus two stores on the west side of the Atlantic). I'm not sure what the postage fee from the UK to Hungary is, but if you keep an eye on the books and find one (one you want) that is cheap, perhaps the low price can offset any shipping costs. (You should also find links to all the web enhancements on the various pages. Grab them all before WotC decide to take them down.) :)

I've been grabbing Eberron novels recently, and I've got most of them for £0.01 + postage. :cool:
That is a deal for the novels!

As for Amazon and Hungary, here is the issue:

* In my area of the country, at least, mail tends to not arrive if not registered.
Secondly, when it does come, it stops in Budapest, about three hours away, and customs:
1: Sends the longest, scariest forms - in Hungarian - to fill out
2: Typically is confused with the American invoice, and are difficult to reach by phone. :)
(Mainly due to trying to reach Help who speaks English -)

So, the solution is to buy items from Amazon that are shipped and sold by Amazon internationally.
* This way its:
1: Registered
2: They deal with customs and it just comes to my door!

The main problem is that only 5e products meet that criteria... :roll:

Sorry for the boring details... :)

Thank you, Big Mac, for offering various solutions.
I will check out the links you mentioned - the price on novels - amazing!

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:
I actually like both of these books. Magic of Eberron isn't perfect, but it has a lot of interesting information on the Daelkyr, while the Explorer's Handbook is really good at giving a sense of a location's atmosphere through a brief description and encounter map. It's also helpful if you're traveling from place to place.
Magic is also useful for a Dreaming Dark campaign, having stats for two types of quori and two types of inspired.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 pm

A few people are talking about your question elsewhere. Here is what someone called Brian said over at Google+:
Brian at the Google+ Community for The Piazza wrote:The core 3rd Ed setting book. The 4th Ed campaign Guide is also good, and a little better laid out. The info is similar, and includes ideas for dragonborn, but the 3rd Ed version just feels more packed with information.

2nd Tier
Races of Eberron, Adventures Guide to Eberron, and Dragonmarked.

Adventurer's Guide is a good player overview without information overload. Races gives insight into the Eberronian races, though the changeling section couold be better.

Dragonmarked becasue the Houses are important to the overall feel of the world.

3rd Tier
Faiths of Eberron and Secrets of Xen'drik.

Insights in to the Faiths of Eberron and Xen'drik. Good for the DM who wants to focus on religious intrigue and Indiana Jones style adventuring.

4th Tier
Explorer's Guide and Forge of War.
I like this tier thing. He is telling you to get them all (just like other people) but he is telling you which ones he thinks are the most important.

This is the sort of logic I tend to use, when I'm trying to buy up books on a campaign setting.

I will work out how important a book is (important to me that is). I tend to then compare my personal value on that book with the price it is on sale for. For things that are not going to be totally useful to me, I tend to try to decide how much of the book is useful to me and come up with a price based on that.

There are some books I have on "low priority", but if the drop really low in price, the cost (and I try to remember to factor in postage, as it affects the "total cost of ownership") gets to the stage where it goes below the percentage price that I think of as my personal "I will buy at this price" number and I'll be much more likely to buy it.

There have been some books that I've been unsure about that have had bad reviews (and the bad reviews have helped knock the price down) and then I've read the reviews carefully and realised the thing that has gotten the book a bad score is something that does not affect me. That's actually made a few books into bargains for me.

So if you do go with the multiple tier thing...and if you do figure out how you can import some of these books without it being too expensive, I think it would still be worth checking the prices of your low priority books.

It might take you a few years to get all the tier 1 and 2 books, but if you can snap up a couple of tier 4 and tier 3 books, you can use those books to enhance your Eberron experience. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Dhaylen wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Are you able to import books without paying big amounts of import duty?

There are a few Amazon stores in Europe that sell second hand (and new) copies of Eberron books.

That is a deal for the novels!

As for Amazon and Hungary, here is the issue:

* In my area of the country, at least, mail tends to not arrive if not registered.
Secondly, when it does come, it stops in Budapest, about three hours away, and customs:
1: Sends the longest, scariest forms - in Hungarian - to fill out
2: Typically is confused with the American invoice, and are difficult to reach by phone. :)
(Mainly due to trying to reach Help who speaks English -)

So, the solution is to buy items from Amazon that are shipped and sold by Amazon internationally.
* This way its:
1: Registered
2: They deal with customs and it just comes to my door!

The main problem is that only 5e products meet that criteria... :roll:

Sorry for the boring details... :)

Thank you, Big Mac, for offering various solutions.
I will check out the links you mentioned - the price on novels - amazing!
Don't apologise for the details. Everyone wants to help you get some Eberron books. The details are useful. :)

When you talk about buying from Amazon. Do you mean Amazon themselves, and not the other people who sell via the Amazon storefront? :?

I say this because it looks like a lot of the copies of Eberron books are by other companies.

Lets look at Eberron Campaign Setting, for example. (It has a shipping weight of 2.5 pounds according to Amazon USA). Lets see if we can work out the cheapest place to buy it:
[b]Amazon country[/b]|[b]Cheapest seller[/b]|[b]Price[/b]|[b]Shipping to Hungary[/b] Amazon.com|powells_books|$16.50 USD|$24.95 USD (Counted as Europe) Amazon.ca|powellsbooks|CDN$ 26.98|CDN$ 6.99/CDN$ 10.99 (Counted as Rest of World) Amazon.co.uk|powellsbookstore|£17.31 UKP|£5.50 per delivery + £0.90 per kg Amazon.fr|powells-books|EUR 20,59|EUR 8.99 (delivery) + 5 EUR per kg ??? Amazon.de|Deal DE|EUR 36,45|EUR 2.00 per article/EUR11,00 per shipment ??? Amazon.it|FastMedia "navi da Stati USA"|EUR 36,62|EUR 10.00 (Counted as Europe 2) ??? Amazon.es|nearfine|EUR 60,94|EUR 6.00 (Counted as Europe 2) ???

I'm not 100 percent sure on the shipping/postage of non-English stores, but I just wanted to show you the large range of prices you get if you look at Amazon deals in different countries.

You can see a couple of things if you go through all the Amazon stores that you might buy from.

Firstly, a lot of these countries have the best price from the same company. A US company called Powells Books. This is an important thing. If you buy this book from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.fr you would be buying the exact same book! So when I buy it, I'll buy from Amazon.co.uk and they will charge me UK postage, even though they are sending it from the USA.

The second thing to realise (and you have to feed these numbers into a currency converter first) is that a book will sometimes be stupidly expensive in one country and dirt cheap in another country at the same time. And sometimes the same seller is charging both a high price and a low price (because some of them use automatic computer programs to set prices). Look at the poor Spanish Eberron fans being asked to pay three times as many Euros as the French Eberron fans! :o

You don't have a local Amazon, but if you check the rates of any Amazon that you are able to use you will get a rough idea of what the extra cost of the shipping is and how far up that is going to push the price of the Eberron books. (I personally avoid the non-English ones, as I struggle to know what everything means, but if you can get a foreign friend to help you, you might be able to figure out how to sign up and buy stuff.)

If you look at these sort of numbers (and it takes ages to do the research, which is why I've not yet bought all the D&D books I want ;( ) you can then compare the "total cost of ownership" from buying from the best Amazon for you against the "total cost of ownership" for buying from the gaming store that is 3 hours away from where you live.

Here are another couple of ideas:
  • Do you have any friends of family who go abroad on holiday or business? Could any of them give you a call from a gaming store and pick up a couple of Eberron books for you?
  • Alternately, do you live close enough to the Hungarian border to go on an "Eberron holiday" to a city in a neighbouring country that has lots of cheaper Eberron books?
I hope that some of this helps you work out what to do.

Good luck!

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:27 am

Big Mac wrote: If you buy this book from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.fr you would be buying the exact same book! So when I buy it, I'll buy from Amazon.co.uk and they will charge me UK postage, even though they are sending it from the USA.

The second thing to realise (and you have to feed these numbers into a currency converter first) is that a book will sometimes be stupidly expensive in one country and dirt cheap in another country at the same time. And sometimes the same seller is charging both a high price and a low price (because some of them use automatic computer programs to set prices). Look at the poor Spanish Eberron fans being asked to pay three times as many Euros as the French Eberron fans! :o

I hope that some of this helps you work out what to do.

Good luck!
Definitely helped.

I agree about breaking it down into tiers...

At this time Im considering buying some .pdf's from the DMSGuild, and the campaign setting book
from the Budapest game-store.

Thanks again!

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:11 am

We have had four sessions, in Eberron, thus far. Total of 10 hours.
All the information is from wikis, forums, WoTC archives, and info I read at Keith's site awhile back.

1: This is our fourth rpg campaign, the first I had no D&D books,
but was inspired by Drunkens and Dragons on youtube!

It was everyones favorite - of course it was the first, and we had a blast, in my own Steampunk world with Dragons!
(I used monsters, from the Witcher 3, as the monsters in game - fogglets, noon-wraiths, etc., was excellent.)

2: The second, and third, were using D&Ds 5e core books - as well as campaign books PoTa (Princes of the Apocolypse),
and Strahd. The second lasted over 100 hrs. and featured a couple of character npcs, that they enjoyed, who have shown up in various campaigns - or will show up.

3: Everyone, including myself,was itching for another 'homebrew' campaign, where I used campaign books as source material for inspiration, but not as a railroaded adventure.

Ceremoniously kicked from Stahds campaign, after 30 hrs., (they will be back), they ended up in Eberron!

3a: One, half-elf Ranger, ended up on a floating 'moat' in the rings of Syber.
3b: Another, our Drow, thief, from the underdark, ended up in Kyber. :)
3c: Lastly, our Druid ended up on Eberron, Sarlona - to be precise.
(Moon-elf, in a land that is not fond of elves, as the inspired cant control their minds.)

4:
* Our ranger, and a companion, were sent from Syber down to Xen'Drik to seek out a source of corruption - (Dhaelkyr).
* Our Drow found her way out of Kyber, onto the land of Aragonnessen. (Traps, troubled dreams aside, she seeks out adventurers to help her survive this strange land.)
* Our moon-elf, already captured, was seeking her traveling companion, the Ranger, from Strahds adventure.

5: With that, I figured some books would be nice - as I know about the lands, but not much...
After 2-3 years waiting for WoTC to say, "Here is 5e Eberron crumbs" (not Unearthed Arcana - too literal a crumb!) :)
I bought a few pdfs last night, after all your help, and encouragement, of Xen'Drik, Stormreach, Sarlona, and Sharn.

The campaign book I hope to get at the store... as I understand it, the book is substantially bigger than the ones mentioned, and Sharn almost did not open in iBooks on the iPad due to file size. It takes awhile to flip the pages on my older iPad! (Really the lack of memory, and the 'modern' iOS on an older device)

From what I see, I can't say I regret it - though I love hardback.
Again, you all have been more than helpful. At the end, my dislike dealing with Hungarian customs drove my choice.
(Amazon has to be the 'seller and 'shipper' for me not to have to deal with them.) :P

But, what was shared, helped me buy with confidence - so, once again, thanks to everyone of you!

6: I definitely want the Campaign and Dragonmark books... but, seperating it into 'tiers', I realized I needed more lore in the settings. (Did not get Dragons of Eberron/Argonnessen - running low on cash. :) And Im trying to bring them together to Xen'Drik. Later I want that book as well - Dragons of Eberron..)
Other books are still for consideration, such as, the magic of Eberron, etc.

Everyone truly has been great - love this forum, and happy I found it.
(All from trying to reach Keith Baker about Google search saying his site was hacked!) :)

Best to you all!

- D

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:05 am

enderxenocide0 wrote: I actually like both of these books. Magic of Eberron isn't perfect, but it has a lot of interesting information on the Daelkyr, while the Explorer's Handbook is really good at giving a sense of a location's atmosphere through a brief description and encounter map. It's also helpful if you're traveling from place to place.
How extensive is Magic of Eberron's material on the Daelkyr?
Would it be comparable to Keith's write up, in terms of both amount of content and actual 'flavor'?
http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-the- ... eir-cults/

More importantly, is there much overlap?
And does the content match the authors vision - or is it another Thrane/Forge of War debacle? :)
(Suppose this last question would be better asked to Keith)

As of now, I have purchased every Eberron .pdf that has Keith in the credits, for 3.5.
To help keep continuity, I have stayed away from the other sourcebooks, thus far.
(I know his blog points out chapter one, of the 4e Campaign Guide, as being the best at summarizing the world -
but, I went 3.5 for the data dump/page count. Hopefully no intersting tidbits are missing
.) ;)

Im only giving Magic of Eberron a nod in case it adds additional flavor, to the Daelkyr, similar to Keith's article - as it seems the rest of the content, from the book, is up for grabs in terms of perceived value.

Thanks!

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm

MoE has about three pages on daelkyr magic, including a map of a gateway to Khyber; the daelkyr half-blood as a playable race; and four magic items.

The magic items are the Husk of Infinite Worlds, which is a biomechanical chamber that randomly mutates creatures, most of which die a horrible death; a Monocle of Tolerance, which lets the operator run the Husk without suffering a confusion effect; a Shirt Leech which lets you hijack the effects of a healing power cast on someone else; and a Truth Lens, a type of divination device that directs you to a creature that knows the answer to your question.

Dhaylen
Orc

Post by Dhaylen » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Beoric wrote:MoE has about three pages on daelkyr magic, including a map of a gateway to Khyber; the daelkyr half-blood as a playable race; and four magic items.

The magic items are the Husk of Infinite Worlds, which is a biomechanical chamber that randomly mutates creatures, most of which die a horrible death; a Monocle of Tolerance, which lets the operator run the Husk without suffering a confusion effect; a Shirt Leech which lets you hijack the effects of a healing power cast on someone else; and a Truth Lens, a type of divination device that directs you to a creature that knows the answer to your question.
Whoa - the biomechanical chamber, thats pretty messed up.
Playable half-blood Daelkyr... seems neigh impossible. Suppose its Eberron's version of the tiefling?

Thanks!

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Dhaylen wrote: Playable half-blood Daelkyr... seems neigh impossible. Suppose its Eberron's version of the tiefling?

Thanks!
Humanoids, usually human, who are warped in the womb by a breed leech or proximity to daelkyr confinement cylinder. They are aberrations who start play with a symbiont and gain more at higher levels. Anyone who tries to read their mind gets whammied. I'm not really clear on what they look like, but it is implied that they are distinguishable from humans.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 am

They way I run daelkyr halfbloods is that they are as distinguishable from humans as Kalashtar are, that is to say, noticably, but not very. Where Kalashtar may appear as idealistically beauitiful "super-model"esque humans, Daelkyr half-blood appear wretched, diseased, or malformed.

I have a conversion to play them in 5th edition on my website: https://sites.google.com/site/wayfinder ... alf-bloods

In terms of Magic of Eberron's "cannonicity" value (as in, what books are closest to Keith's vision of Eberron), I think fluff-wise Magic of Eberron is pretty low on "cannoicity" value, but it presents a few interesting mechanical concepts. Things like the Daelkyr half-bloods present, as you describe a "eberron tiefling" equivalent for players wanting to play something tainted by the Daelkyr instead of your typical demon or devil. The psiforged are an interesting idea to mash two concepts together, the warforged and psionics. None of it is really essential to the setting, but if you embrace it, you can make it fit the setting easily.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:12 am

I think I've seen Keith reference MoE once or twice. I'm pretty sure it was in reference to the psiforged and the quori. I know the dream master was referenced in Secrets of Sarlona and renamed usvapna.

HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Post by HellcowKeith » Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Sorry, I haven't been online much.

I didn't work on Magic of Eberron, and in general it goes alongside FoW as a book containing material that contradicts prior canon - its information on elven history dramatically contradicts prior material and makes no sense (it talks about Deathless being created on Xen'drik, whereas prior sources specify that a) Deathless were created thousands of years after Xen'drik and specifically as a reaction to all the elven heroes lost in Xen'drik and b) the creation of the Undying Court was only possible due to the significant Irian manifest zones on Aerenal, which is why Aerenal is such an isolationist nation - they couldn't have created them on Xen'drik).

Given that, like FoW it's a book I've largely ignored in my personal campaign... but I don't think it addresses the Daelkyr to the depth I do in that article or by "Touched By Madness" Dragon article.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!

Return to “Eberron”