Omg - Wild Zones - Sword Coast!

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Omg - Wild Zones - Sword Coast!

Postby Dhaylen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Patience, please - but yes, I'm 'geeking out' about Xen'Driks 'Traveler's Curse' - to Sarlona's Wild Zones/'Reality Storms'!

The latter could, potentially, resolve the issue that the Sword Coast seems to currently have in 5e...
Every monstrosity in the Forgotten Realms has it out for the Sword Coast! :lol:

(note: My intent is not to belittle others experience, only to share my experience and opinion of 5e.)

Backstory:

After the release of SKT, (Storm Kings Thunder), certain views, which I share, began to be expressed.
Namely - "WoTC, when will you leave the Sword Coast?" (Even 'fans' of the Realms wish a different area.)

* To be fair, there are those who defend WoTC's location, and the debate goes like thus:
1: "The Sword Coast is huge!"
Response 1: "Yes, but for the area of the world - its defintely getting hammered to the point people should move."
Response 2: "Yes, its huge, why is most encounters in or around Waterdeep/Neverwinter?"

Personally, had WoTC released an Eberron Sourcebook, like SCAG, at the end of the year, or early next,
as well as had each campaign like PoTA, (Princes of Apocolypse), helping to adapt to various world settings,
it may have settled an itch that many players have.

As it is, it looks like more Realms... something about 'Undermountain'?
(Having Darksun, etc., would have been fine as well.)

WildZones/'Reality Storms' :
Eberron mechanics, such as WildZones, would have made the Sword Coast more 'believable' with disaster, after disaster occurring in 5e. :P

Something a player can homebrew - yet... the issue is the presentation from WoTC.

Xen'Drik & the Traveler's Curse
As my son pointed out this afternoon, "The Travelers Curse makes Xen'Drik more 'forgotten' than the Forgotten Realms!"

How true, and something I pondered... once you learn about the Realms, its not as mysterious, whereas Xen'Drik was made to be a sandbox, as the Realms, but again with better mechanics - from my perspective. :)

Heh... two things:
1: Really excited with the new details of Eberron I'm learning about.
2: Posting in the Eberron forum, as its this world that has me reflecting more on 5e...
... and I don't want to upset Realms fans - though I'm sure some are here... its all good!

Thanks for the read!

-D
Dhaylen
Orc

Re: Omg - Wild Zones - Sword Coast!

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:07 am

Dhaylen wrote:Patience, please - but yes, I'm 'geeking out' about Xen'Driks 'Traveler's Curse' - to Sarlona's Wild Zones/'Reality Storms'!

The latter could, potentially, resolve the issue that the Sword Coast seems to currently have in 5e...
Every monstrosity in the Forgotten Realms has it out for the Sword Coast! :lol:

(note: My intent is not to belittle others experience, only to share my experience and opinion of 5e.)

I'm a little bit confused about you mentioning the Sword Coast in the Eberron forum. Are you trying to raid concepts from the Sword Coast to use in Xen'Drik or Sarlona?

Dhaylen wrote:Backstory:

After the release of SKT, (Storm Kings Thunder), certain views, which I share, began to be expressed.
Namely - "WoTC, when will you leave the Sword Coast?" (Even 'fans' of the Realms wish a different area.)

* To be fair, there are those who defend WoTC's location, and the debate goes like thus:
1: "The Sword Coast is huge!"
Response 1: "Yes, but for the area of the world - its defintely getting hammered to the point people should move."
Response 2: "Yes, its huge, why is most encounters in or around Waterdeep/Neverwinter?"

This seems to be a trend that WotC have had with Forgotten Realms. The 2e Realms connected to four subsettings that were outside of Faerûn. The 3e Realms cut support for the subsettings, but had a number of sourcebooks that detailed various parts of Faerûn. The 4e Realms got rid of most of the sourcebooks (and had a framing device pulling people away from the unsupported areas - some were even destroyed). They did later publish a Neverwinter Campaign Setting (after originally writing it off as destroyed). I've not bought any of the 5e books yet, but the 5e Realms seems to be so focused on a smaller area (the Sword Coast).

It is possible that WotC could later release a number of other Adventurer's Guides that document regions of Faerûn. They might even decide to go outside of Faerûn and release a Kara-Tur Adventurer's Guide, Maztica Adventurer's Guide or a Zakhara Adventurer's Guide. I just don't have a clue at this point. :?

I actually waited out 4e. 3e failed to deliver me a Spelljammer Campaign Setting and 4e gave me less support. They made a "one setting per year" promise and I decided to wait for Greyhawk and Dragonlance to be published, so that I could at least use them (along with the 4e Realms) to give me the three Radiant Triangle groundling worlds and an idea of what to do with the 4e Known Spheres. But I waited and waited and here we are with 5e. And now I'm waiting for them to make enough of Forgotten Realms to make it worth my while, as well as waiting for them to get beyond Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft and onto Dragonlance, Greyhawk and beyond.

At this point only a 5th Edition Spelljammer product is going to guarantee I stop waiting. Not even a 5e Eberron product is going to do that. 3rd Edition had a great range of Eberron books. 4th Edition had a smaller range and 5th Edition Eberron would need to do something special - something that neither 3e Eberron or 4e Eberron did.

I think I would be more interested in buying an edition-neutral version of A Grand History of Eberron (with Keith Baker working with the author of that book the way that Ed Greenwood worked with the author of The Grand History of the Realms). I would also be interested in another edition-neutral book along the lines of Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, where they literally sat Keith Baker down and got him to write a ton of stuff he wanted to write about Eberron. (Maybe some sort of organisation, like the Library of Korranberg or Morgrave University could be used as a framing device for a "Keith Baker tosses a ton of cool background details into a book" project.)

What you have said there, doesn't really make me any more enthusiastic for 5e Eberron (and like you, I don't want to belittle other people's experiences) it just makes me think of Forgotten Realms. And, as far as FR is concerned, I see nothing there for me...yet, but I want the people who are playing in the Sword Coast to have a great time doing so. (My 5e Realms experience is a potential future thing. The Realms has to do well and continue to grow or that potential future will never happen.)

Dhaylen wrote:Personally, had WoTC released an Eberron Sourcebook, like SCAG, at the end of the year, or early next,
as well as had each campaign like PoTA, (Princes of Apocolypse), helping to adapt to various world settings,
it may have settled an itch that many players have.

As it is, it looks like more Realms... something about 'Undermountain'?
(Having Darksun, etc., would have been fine as well.)

They decided to go with Ravenloft. The setting was around for 2nd and 3rd Edition and skipped 4th Edition. So maybe they thought that they might get more return customers than Dark Sun or Eberron (which both had recent support in 4th Edition). :?

I don't think it would be too easy to make an Eberron/Ravenloft crossover (without pulling Eberron into the Great Wheel cosmology) but it might be possible to reboot Curse of Strahd and replace Ravenloft with an area on one of the planes of Eberron. Perhaps there could be entire parts of Cyre that were sucked over onto a plane or demiplane.

I'm guessing that if there was a 5e Eberron book out right now, it would be set in a smaller region of Khorvaire. I really don't have a clue what they might want to go for that would be the equivalent of the Sword Coast (in function). It would need to be something that was sold without the Eberron brand name (campaign setting names and logos seem to be a thing of history with D&D) and it would need to be something that they can try to flog to people that don't actually want to play in Eberron (something they can claim is a good book to be used with homebrew and other D&D settings).

Could WotC go for a Points of Light version of Eberron and have the people of Cyre try to repopulate the Mournland? Would that sort of post-apocalyptic gaming environment be something that they could flog to non-Eberron fans? And would a Mournland Adventurer's Guide be something that would bring the 3e Eberron grognards running back to the gamestores? And is that something that Keith Baker could make work*? :?

* = I guess that Keith Baker is flexible enough that he could make a large variety of Eberron concepts work, but I don't know if a dark Mournland campaign for Eberron is something he would want to push for 5e over other things that Eberron could have had.

One thing I'm fairly convinced of - I strongly doubt that Eberron is going to see any development in Xen'drik, Sarlona or other continents. (Not unless the setting gets onto DMs Guild and Keith Baker runs a Kickstarter to allow the fans to unlock as many new Eberron books as they want.)

Dhaylen wrote:WildZones/'Reality Storms' :
Eberron mechanics, such as WildZones, would have made the Sword Coast more 'believable' with disaster, after disaster occurring in 5e. :P

Something a player can homebrew - yet... the issue is the presentation from WoTC.

I'm not sure what you mean by wild zones (which is a shame, as it is the central theme of your topic :( ). Do you mean manifest zones or are they something else that I am not aware of?

Dhaylen wrote:Xen'Drik & the Traveler's Curse
As my son pointed out this afternoon, "The Travelers Curse makes Xen'Drik more 'forgotten' than the Forgotten Realms!"

How true, and something I pondered... once you learn about the Realms, its not as mysterious, whereas Xen'Drik was made to be a sandbox, as the Realms, but again with better mechanics - from my perspective. :)

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but the term "Forgotten Realms" is supposed to mean that they have been forgotten by the people of Earth. The backstory of the Realms is that they used to have portals to many other worlds (including the real world) and these portals were lost and the Realms was cut off. So I believe the real-world legends of things like dragons and elves are supposed to be our muddled memories of what we learned about Toril.

Having said that, I'd like to know what The Traveller's Curse is. You have dropped two unusual Eberron concepts into this topic and then spent most of time talking about Forgotten Realms and how it could be improved. And I don't know these things that are important to you, so I'm struggling to work out how they could improve the Sword Coast.

I also have to say that - as this is the Eberron forum - shouldn't you be raiding from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and using what is in that book to build on the canon for wild zones and the Traveller's Curse in an Eberron context? :)

Dhaylen wrote:Heh... two things:
1: Really excited with the new details of Eberron I'm learning about.
2: Posting in the Eberron forum, as its this world that has me reflecting more on 5e...
... and I don't want to upset Realms fans - though I'm sure some are here... its all good!

Thanks for the read!

-D

Sticking my moderator hat on for a moment, I have to say that if this is a topic about improving the Sword Coast (of Forgotten Realms) it really should be moved over to the Forgotten Realms forum.

Taking my moderator hat back off, I do wonder if you are going to end up with a Forgotten Realms/Eberron mashup that contains elements of both campaign settings. I believe that Keith Baker did say that if something was in D&D it had a place in Eberron, but I'm not sure he was expecting anyone to steal the entire Sword Coast and drop it into Eberron. :lol:

Anyhoo, I've got no idea where you are going with this topic at the moment, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:41 am

Big Mac wrote:I don't think it would be too easy to make an Eberron/Ravenloft crossover (without pulling Eberron into the Great Wheel cosmology) but it might be possible to reboot Curse of Strahd and replace Ravenloft with an area on one of the planes of Eberron. Perhaps there could be entire parts of Cyre that were sucked over onto a plane or demiplane.

I don't know about a crossover in any official terms, but I see no reason why someone couldn't do a Curse of Strahd game where the Mists plucked (some or all of) the PCs off of Eberron rather than the FR. You might have to go without the Eberron-specific races, unless you're a good homebrewer, but making the party's Elf be a member of that undead-lich-worshipping nation, instead of someone who hangs out in a ruined Mythal near Silverymoon, shouldn't affect anything in your Curse of Strahd game.

3e Eberron grognoids

There are grognoids, now? How does that differ from a grognard? :mrgreen:
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Beoric » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:25 am

Big Mac wrote:I don't think it would be too easy to make an Eberron/Ravenloft crossover (without pulling Eberron into the Great Wheel cosmology) but it might be possible to reboot Curse of Strahd and replace Ravenloft with an area on one of the planes of Eberron. Perhaps there could be entire parts of Cyre that were sucked over onto a plane or demiplane.

I don't have Curse of Strahd, but in the original 1e Castle Ravenloft, and the in later 2e Ravenloft adventures I have read, nothing in the story really required it to be in a demiplane. I would just make Barovia an isolated barony in Karrnath. I might keep the poisonous trap-the-PCs-in-the-adventure-no-matter-what-the-players-want mists, or I might replace them with, y'know, a hook. But I've never seen anything in a Ravenloft module that couldn't happen in an "ordinary" fantasy RPG world.

BTW, when he refers to "wild zones" I think he means the "shifting zones", where an area can be jungle one moment, and then turn to arctic (with all the native animals changing to arctic versions of themselves, without noticing anything different), and then a while later to desert (with similar changes to the fauna). See SoX, p. 22.

The Traveller's Curse is a phenomenon where distances in Xen'drik can be unpredictable, such that one party may find the path to a particular ruin to be 10 miles long, while another finds it to be 100 miles long. And then the first party finds that it is 50 miles to get back. But it only affects non-natives to the land. Makes provisioning for a journey a challenge, not to mention cartography. SoX p. 25.
Beoric
Ogre

Postby Dhaylen » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:23 am

Yes, Beoric is correct about Xen'Drik - and close with Sarlona.

Secrets of Sarlona, pp. 16-18 is titled: WildZones, and calls some of the more unstable zones reality storms.
That name totally drew me in and had me reading more! Apparently these are more unstable, smaller versions of so-called WildZones in Adar,(?), etc.

The main point is that in these zones, creatures/features, from the other planes can manifest, but not actually leave that manifest extension of their plane into Eberron.

You may accidentally find yourself walking into these zones where a pool of water takes you, 'accidentally', to another plane, or lava is floating in the air, etc.

Edgewalkers, have apparently built towers, and burnt a mile strip around some areas so people dont wonder in, with some places having full walls around them.

*** It was the above that made me think of 5e, in general, as those were the only books I had - (till I purchased some Eberron pdfs) - and the feeling of the Sword Coast just getting slammed again, and again, and again - with no real reason for that spot to be the focal point of all the monstrocities - well, now you have a viable outlet where it doesnt feel like a group of monsters are packing up for Waterdeep/Neverwinter, just for a WoTC video game expansion! :lol:

I dont want to drop any of the Sword Coast into Eberron, but do think that how Eberron handles Reality Storms, the Travelers Curse, etc., makes some mechanics that could make the Sword Coast - 5e - more workable, perhaps. :)

Again, I was pretty excited coming in writing this post, as the topic of 5e I had been discussing elsewhere, and the Eberron bits - never heard before. (Please read those pages, I did not do it justice!) :D

*** The WildZones even affect life, to the extent, 'some believe' that humans settled into one of those zones and became werewolves, etc. due to a given planes connection there, and the energy connected to it. (some cool ideas) :)

I can totally see fey and shadow fey, (now Strahd 5e), being there.

* As for Xen'Drik - Beoric is spot on, in addition to this, some places can actually appear differently.
Though knowing a location, to an individual, gives that person the advantage of seeing the same place again!

I didnt post in the Realms, as they would need 3.5 Eberron books to really 'get it' - it was more of an 'oh wow' moment for me, a 5e fan and Eberron fan... Merely wondering why Wizards hasnt mined this stuff for 5e, and realizing there was more to Eberron than I realized - that still has some really cool factors.

(For some reason, I cant quite fully get into Khorivore - I mean, its cool, but my favorite place there is Sharn...
I want a video game of the place!
Also, I Totally enjoy the Eberron Graphic novel with Wren, a witty, elf detective, and his Dwarf friend, which takes place in Sharn
)

Thanks for listening!

Beoric wrote:
Big Mac wrote:BTW, when he refers to "wild zones" I think he means the "shifting zones", where an area can be jungle one moment, and then turn to arctic (with all the native animals changing to arctic versions of themselves, without noticing anything different), and then a while later to desert (with similar changes to the fauna). See SoX, p. 22.

The Traveller's Curse is a phenomenon where distances in Xen'drik can be unpredictable, such that one party may find the path to a particular ruin to be 10 miles long, while another finds it to be 100 miles long. And then the first party finds that it is 50 miles to get back. But it only affects non-natives to the land. Makes provisioning for a journey a challenge, not to mention cartography. SoX p. 25.
Dhaylen
Orc

Return to Eberron