Can Phoenix: Dawn Command cards be used for Eberron play?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Can Phoenix: Dawn Command cards be used for Eberron play?

Postby Big Mac » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 pm

I just had a thought.

Is it possible to use Phoenix: Dawn Command cards to generate any sort of random stuff in an Eberron game?

I'm not sure they could be used for solo-play, but could they help a GM generate anything like random-encounters?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Can Phoenix: Dawn Command cards be used for Eberron play

Postby Dhaylen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:12 am

Big Mac wrote:I just had a thought.

Is it possible to use Phoenix: Dawn Command cards to generate any sort of random stuff in an Eberron game?

I'm not sure they could be used for solo-play, but could they help a GM generate anything like random-encounters?

Ive had a similar idea after seeing one of Keith's post for Eberron, using one of the cards from PHoenix:DC.

My son suggested using the Strahd cards that they recieved, before being spit from the mist into Eberron, and its actually found a way into the game making it fun.

The idea is that Ezmerelda gave each player a deck before their escape, and its used to tell what their dreams are while venturing into Eberron. I read the description from the campaign manual, after they draw two random cards, and they then describe their dream.

Its fun, and can be used as forshadowing in the game.

* Thats a long way to say, Im sure we could definitely find a way to use them.
Even if its at a tavern playing a mini game - which we do with the bonus game idea that came with the Tarokka deck.
(Well, first they have to go to Amazon.com for international shipping and be listed as 'shipped' and 'sold' by Amazon. - Yeah, that again!) :lol:
Dhaylen
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Dhaylen wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I just had a thought.

Ive had a similar idea after seeing one of Keith's post for Eberron, using one of the cards from PHoenix:DC.

He has been going around and showing fans how this works, but not of this has been near me. I'm not a backer, so I'm not "due" any special updates, but I was wondering if some other people might have backed this and seen some example cards.

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I figured it was worth throwing the question out there, just in case.

Dhaylen wrote:My son suggested using the Strahd cards that they recieved, before being spit from the mist into Eberron, and its actually found a way into the game making it fun.

The idea is that Ezmerelda gave each player a deck before their escape, and its used to tell what their dreams are while venturing into Eberron. I read the description from the campaign manual, after they draw two random cards, and they then describe their dream.

Its fun, and can be used as forshadowing in the game.

I've heard of people using stuff like that and stuff like miniatures rules to run solo-play D&D games, where they run a PC (or a team of PCs all run by themselves) against random stuff. I've never done any of that myself.

Dhaylen wrote:* Thats a long way to say, Im sure we could definitely find a way to use them.
Even if its at a tavern playing a mini game - which we do with the bonus game idea that came with the Tarokka deck.
(Well, first they have to go to Amazon.com for international shipping and be listed as 'shipped' and 'sold' by Amazon. - Yeah, that again!) :lol:

That idea with the Tarokka deck is interesting. I had not thought of that. I presume that Eberron has some sort of fortune tellers. Maybe Phoenix: Dawn Command could represent a fortune telling deck.

Or how about this - maybe the Dawn Command cards could somehow be used as messages from the Dragonic Prophecy. That way the GM and the players could run through normal Eberron adventures and then the cards could be like a secret extra player that is working against (or for) the PCs and NPCs behind the scenes. :twisted:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dhaylen » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:02 pm

Big Mac wrote:...then the cards could be like a secret extra player that is working against (or for) the PCs and NPCs behind the scenes. :twisted:

Definitely like the idea! :D

Also, Im curious, as well, about the Eberron integration, which has been shown to backers.
(First Ive heard of this.)

The cards look nice - hopefully I can get my hands on a set.

* Side question:
wasn't Keith coming out with a new campaign setting, or is the new campaign going to be built around Phoenix?
(Kinda got lost on intended and past projects)
Dhaylen
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Dhaylen wrote:
Big Mac wrote:...then the cards could be like a secret extra player that is working against (or for) the PCs and NPCs behind the scenes. :twisted:

Definitely like the idea! :D

:)

Dhaylen wrote:Also, Im curious, as well, about the Eberron integration, which has been shown to backers.
(First Ive heard of this.)

I've not seen this said specifically by Phoenix: Dawn Command backers. I've seen the concept talked about, in the past, with other card games.

I just figured that, if the same thing might be possible with Phoenix: Dawn Command (and it might not be) that you would get a Keith Baker feel to the results.

Dhaylen wrote:The cards look nice - hopefully I can get my hands on a set.

Let me know what you think of them, if you get hold of them before me. (I'm concentrating more on looking for missing Eberron books at the moment.)

Dhaylen wrote:* Side question:
wasn't Keith coming out with a new campaign setting, or is the new campaign going to be built around Phoenix?
(Kinda got lost on intended and past projects)

Keith is just about to lauch something called Illimat in TWO DAYS time (4 October 2016 for anyone looking back on this post from the future)!

At the time of me posting this post, there are no details except a square symbol with 17 divisions and "12", "B", "3" and "U" in the corners.

I don't even know if it is going to be a tabletop RPG or a board game. I'm guessing a board game, from that square thing. :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby HellcowKeith » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:17 am

Big Mac wrote:Keith is just about to lauch something called Illimat in TWO DAYS time (4 October 2016 for anyone looking back on this post from the future)! I don't even know if it is going to be a tabletop RPG or a board game. I'm guessing a board game, from that square thing. :?

Illimat is a card/board game. Between Phoenix and the eternal hope of new Eberron material, I have enough RPG projects to keep me busy for a long time.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:08 am

HellcowKeith wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Keith is just about to lauch something called Illimat in TWO DAYS time (4 October 2016 for anyone looking back on this post from the future)! I don't even know if it is going to be a tabletop RPG or a board game. I'm guessing a board game, from that square thing. :?

Illimat is a card/board game. Between Phoenix and the eternal hope of new Eberron material, I have enough RPG projects to keep me busy for a long time.

I've noticed that WotC seem to like to have other companies launch non-tabletop products alongside their 5e D&D schedule now. It seems to me that if you can design computer games and board and card games that you would be able to help another company publish one of these "sideline" products if/when Eberron returns.

I would certainly like to see a DDO relaunch, with new Eberron content (or a story) that dovetails with an adventure for the tabletop game. I wonder if the owners of DDO would want to help bring back Eberron. :)

An Eberron board game or card game could also be a lot of fun.

Back in 2012, Chimpman created a homebrew Race of 8 Winds game to play with his daughter. I thought it was really creative. I bet there are a few things in Eberron that could be turned into board games.

I wonder if the people who own RISK would want to publish an Eberron RISK version, using the map of Khorvaire. :D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Eberron