The City of Making

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

The City of Making

Postby ThePurple » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:09 am

So one of my current campaigns is taking place in the Mournland, starting in Metrol, dealing with Ikar's Salvage and the Mournland Magebred and moving on to dealing with the Lord of Blades in the Mournlands proper. I've got all of the Metrol/Magebred stuff taken care of, but I'm hitting something of a stumbling block with the the Lord of Blades and his infrastructure in the rest of the Mournland.

For my LoB, I'm stealing a bit from a bunch of sources, but, at its most fundamental level, the LoB is Aaren d'Cannith. Before the Mourning, Aaren was in his secret personal forgehold impotently railing against the injustices perpetrated on his chosen people. Immediately after the Mourning, he focused on simply surviving (his forgehold collapsed, injuring him severely; he only survived because he cannibalized the warforged that he had created since his excoriation in order to begin his own process of self-forging, which he continues to do as his fleshy bits continue to fail) but gained a small following of warforged that were mysteriously drawn to him. Now, a few years after the Mourning, he's focusing on growing his power base in the Mournland so that he can get ready to wage a genocidal war against the fleshy people.

My issue comes in the various locations in the Mournland for the LoB to establish a power base. Eston, since it was the "heart" of House Cannith and a mining settlement, makes sense, but it's right on the edge of the Mournland, right next to Thrane and therefore open to retaliatory strikes and an easy target for scavengers (who could report on their activities). Whitehearth, since it was the origin of Cannith's warforged and the highest budget/best R&D lab that Cannith had, also makes sense but it shares the same problem as Eston: it's on the border of the Mournlands and doesn't really work as a functional home base for a fledgling genocidal dictator.

Making seems like it would work really well, since it's in the middle of the Mournlands and surrounded by an area that is so inhospitable that it makes the rest of the Mournlands look downright home-y (at least as I interpret it), but I can't really find any details on what exactly is up with Making other than the suspicion that the Mourning originated there and the suspected presence of a secret Cannith facility that caused it. What perplexes me is that, with a name like Making, I would think that it would be the home city of the House of Making and have loads of super important Cannith facilities (basically, a massive company town), but Whitehearth and Eston both seem to suggest that Making wasn't really all that special, at least as far as House Cannith was concerned (since, "heart" and "greatest forgehold" are covered).

In effect, geographically and dramatically, Making seems like the best place for Aaren to have set up (both from an in-game and out-of-game perspective, since having the base be somewhere insanely inhospitable means that it'll be the last place the heroes want to go), but, based on the lore (or lack thereof), I can't see a reason why Making would be significant compared to Whitehearth or Eston beyond its current inhospitality.

While I'm not averse just saying "this is how it is in my Eberron" (I have done this on more than a few occasions already), I'd rather check if there's any lore about Making that I missed first. Is anyone able to enlighten me about the city (I've been unleashing my google-fu on the subject for a while, but it's kind of hard when the city shares the name with a related gerund, a related verb, one of the House's names, and the name of their mark) before I just start coming up with stuff on my own (which will probably clash with existing canon)?
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Re: The City of Making

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:27 pm

That's a great question.

I've not heard of Making myself. I can't find "City of Making" on Eberron WIki and there are a lot of false positives for a search of "Making" + "Eberron". The Cyre article on Eberron WIki doesn't mention Making. There is a Cyre article on another wiki, called Eberron Unlimited, which has a link for Making. But sadly it is a "redlink" (an article that has not yet been created).

Hopefully someone else knows.

BTW: Welcome to The Piazza! Thanks for signing up!

You might want to pop over to the Introduce yourself here topic, say "Hi" to everyone and tell them a bit about yourself and the stuff you like (including Eberron ;) ).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby enderxenocide0 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:That's a great question.

I've not heard of Making myself. I can't find "City of Making" on Eberron WIki and there are a lot of false positives for a search of "Making" + "Eberron". The Cyre article on Eberron WIki doesn't mention Making. There is a Cyre article on another wiki, called Eberron Unlimited, which has a link for Making. But sadly it is a "redlink" (an article that has not yet been created).

Hopefully someone else knows.

The city of Making was one of Cyre's major cities and now currently lies in the Glass Plateau in the Mournland. There's little info on pre-Mournland Cyre out there and virtually none on Making, specifically, that I can locate quickly. Five Nations has this to say about the Glass Plateau, however:

Like much of the Mournland’s bizarre terrain, the
Glass Plateau remains in flux. The huge upwelling of
land reshaped much of southern Cyre around the city
of Making, triggering earthquakes for weeks following
the Day of Mourning. In 997 YK the tremors began
again, and now lava slowly oozes from cracks along the
western face of the plateau, like blood seeping from a
poorly tended scab. Already inhospitable, the plateau
is now almost completely inaccessible on foot from the
west. The magma cools into new masses of pale gray
glass, and the plateau is slowly growing.

Given that you're aware of the rumors of a hidden Cannith facility, I suspect you're already aware of that text in the Eberron Campaign Guide. Perhaps Aeren didn't pick Making as his HQ because of what it used to be, but because of what it has become since the Day of Mourning. It is now a place where he can lash Living Spells to his service, conduct arcane experiments at a secret Creation Forge, and live in an environment where most fleshy beings will be unable to survive. Prior to the creation of the Mournlands, it was just another Cannith town, but is now something much more interesting.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby ThePurple » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:00 am

enderxenocide0 wrote:Given that you're aware of the rumors of a hidden Cannith facility, I suspect you're already aware of that text in the Eberron Campaign Guide. Perhaps Aeren didn't pick Making as his HQ because of what it used to be, but because of what it has become since the Day of Mourning. It is now a place where he can lash Living Spells to his service, conduct arcane experiments at a secret Creation Forge, and live in an environment where most fleshy beings will be unable to survive. Prior to the creation of the Mournlands, it was just another Cannith town, but is now something much more interesting.

Assuming I couldn't find any new information about Making, this was essentially my plan.

One of the possibilities that I'm currently toying with is that Making was actually the location of the genesis forge (which, when damaged by the Mourning, caused a meltdown that created the Glass Plateau): Eston would have been management, Whitehearth as R&D, and Making as the central hub of production. Considering how big the genesis forge was (and all of the infrastructure required to use it), it couldn't really be a secret facility, but it would definitely give Aaren a reason to go there and try to rebuild it: as a creation forge is to a mundane workshop, so is the genesis forge to a creation forge. Getting the genesis forge fully functional (at the moment, he would have it running erratically and at only a fraction of what it's capable of) would give Aaren everything he needs in order to start and end his war.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby HellcowKeith » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:26 am

In my novel The Fading Dream there's a brief reference to Making; the Cannith heir Drix notes that he was sent there to go to school, but was turned away. So I was seeing it as a place that had traditional importance to the house - a traditional seat of learning, a place of records - but not an industrial center. But there's really nothing established in canon that I'm aware of.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Postby ThePurple » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:28 am

Is there anything in the canon about where the genesis forge was located (more than just "in Cyre")? It's specifically mentioned in the 4e ECG as an object/location of extreme importance to House Cannith but there's no mention as to where it actually was, as far as I know. Seems like something of an oversight, since the genesis forge would be pretty obvious: it's the size of a fortress, requires "enormous amounts of raw materials", and has absolutely incredible production capacity (1/4 the time and 1/2 the cost). Honestly, it seems to me like something that House Cannith would actually build a lot of infrastructure around in order to get the most out of it. I guess they could have feasibly worked to put it in a mining complex and feed it the very materials from the mine, but it would be still be pretty conspicuous due to the output.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby Beoric » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:37 am

Don't forget that a genesis forge needs to be located "only in a region that has strong lingering arcane energy and at least a faint manifestation of any realm of the Elemental Chaos [that's Kythri, Fernia, or Risia for the 3e crowd]." Depending on how common you make manifest zones, it may not be very likely that a suitable location would be found in an existing city at all.
Beoric
Ogre

Return to Eberron