Manifest Zone Location Map

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Manifest Zone Location Map

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Has anyone ever catalogued every official manifest zone and mapped them for ease of reference? If not, is this a thing people would find useful?

Beoric
Ogre

Re: Manifest Zone Location Map

Post by Beoric » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:23 pm

I would certainly use such a thing, but don't want to ask you to go to all that trouble if you aren't doing it anyway.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Has anyone ever catalogued every official manifest zone and mapped them for ease of reference? If not, is this a thing people would find useful?
A list of manifest zones would be a good start.

I started to make one, myself, but messed up and lost my post. :roll:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:00 am

Off the top of my head...

Sharn, Breland - Syrannia

The Gloaming, Eldeen Reaches - Mabar

The Twilight Demesne, Eldeen Reaches - Thelanis

The Fist of Onatar, Mror Holds? - Volcano tied to Fernia

The Mournland - Possible manifest zones of Shavarath, Dollurh, and Xoriat? Theories at least.

I believe there is also a manifest zone to Lamania in Breland, south of Sharn across the Hilt river.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

RutyWoot
Son of Eberron

Post by RutyWoot » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:36 am

Just off the top of my head, a Mabar zone is in Faded Forest of Berland. I know that for sure.

Let me see if I can get together with Keith at some point in the new year and make a list/map. Feels like that would be useful information for everyone to have. At least the "known" zones.
Ruty
Maze Arcana DM

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:13 pm

RutyWoot wrote:Just off the top of my head, a Mabar zone is in Faded Forest of Berland. I know that for sure.

Let me see if I can get together with Keith at some point in the new year and make a list/map. Feels like that would be useful information for everyone to have. At least the "known" zones.
Yeah, it's definitely something I've been thinking of doing, myself. I figured it might be easier to crowdsource the work and ask here instead of scouring the books personally (not that I wouldn't end up doing that anyway, most likely). It's a nice resource in general. I'm looking into it for my campaign because there's a future event that could, potentially, get rid of all manifest zones temporarily and I want to see exactly what kind of disaster that would be. Sharn, for one, might very well fall.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:53 am

So, here's a pretty exhaustive list of specific manifest zones noted in the setting. This is everything I could find in a 3.5 or 4e source. As Keith Baker mentions below, these are just examples, and any plane can have new manifest zones for your campaign if it fits the story.

Daanvi, the Perfect Order
There are no specific manifest zones tied to Daanvi in any canon sources I could find, but there is nothing indicating that they don't exist.

Dal Quor, the Region of Dreams
Dal Quor is the only plane with absolutely no manifest zones. Not merely "no specific" manifest zones, but none at all. Dal Quor's remote nature makes it impossible for it to touch Eberron at all. According to Secrets of Sarlona, pg 62, the hanbalani altas constructed by the Inspired may be able to cause manifest zones tied to Dal Quor to appear across Eberron, once enough of them are built.
There is only one connection between Dal Quor and Eberron noted in canon sources, and that is Taer Lian Doresh, though its currently unknown to exist (Dungeon Magazine 178, Backdrop: Explore Taer Lian Doresh) (The feyspire is simultaneously on both the material plane and Dal Quor, so it is more of a true coterminous zone than a manifest zone.)

Dolurrh, the Realm of the Dead
Ivory Mountain, Q'barra (Dragon 353 pg 76)
Lair of the Keeper, Demon Wastes (ECS pg 162)
Lake Dark, Karrnath (ECS pg 182)

Fernia, the Sea of Fire
Fang Crater, The Vast, Argonessen (Dragons of Eberron pg 39)
Fantaran Hot Springs, Droaam (Dragon 353 pg 74)
Kobek's Voice, Breland (Five Nations pg 66)

Irian, the Eternal Day
Shae Mordai, The City of the Dead, Aerenal (ECS pg 218, Explorer's Handbook pg 104)
Shinning Valley, Breland (Five Nations pg 67)

Kythri, the Churning Chaos
Kyrrilspire, Blackcap Mountains, Breland (Five Nations pg 91)
Uutkleza and other regions, Adar (Secrets of Sarlona pg 37)
Various daelkyr ruins, Shadow Marches (ECS pg 200)

Lamannia, the Twilight Forest
Ahdryatmin "Mountainsoul" and other regions, Adar (Secrets of Sarlona pg 37)
Dreadhold, Lhazzar Principalities (Dragon 344 pg 71)
Greenheart, Eldeen Reaches (ECS pg 173)
Taer Valaestas, Valenar (Dragon Magazine 362, Expeditionary Dispatches: Taer Valaestas)
Whitewater lake, Syrkarn (Secrets of Sarlona pg 84)

Mabar, the Endless Night
Faded Forest, Breland (Five Nations pg 65)
Fort Bones, Karrnath (Dungeon Magazine 195, Eye on Eberron: Fort Bones)
The Gloaming, Eldeen Reaches (ECS pg 174)
Shanjueed Jungle, Corvagura region of Riedra (Secrets of Sarlona pg 81)
Valin Field, Thrane (Forge of War, pg 98) (linked to both Mabar and Shavarath)

Risia, the Plain of Ice
Graywall Mountain peaks, Breland (Five Nations pg 66)
Regions of the Frostfell and Everice (Player's Guide to Eberron pg 66) (offhand mention)
Southern borderlands of the Tashana Tundra (Secrets of Sarlona pg 95)

Shavarath, the Battleground
Ash Tower, Mournland (Forge of War pg 89)
Fields of Desolation, Talenta Plains (Forge of War pg 89)
Tamor Gulch, Thrane (Forge of War pg 89)
Valin Field, Thrane (Forge of War pg 98) (linked to both Mabar and Shavarath)
Valley of Blades, Byshek Mountains (Forge of War pg 89)

Syrania, the Azure Sky
Sharn, Breland (ECS pg 146)

Thelanis, the Faerie Court
The Twilight Demense, Eldeen Reaches (ECS pg 174)
Ruins of Pelmarane, Demon Wastes (Dragon 353 pg 77)

Xoriat, the Realm of Madness
The Aal'drash seals, Shadow Marches (Explorer's Handbook pg 100)
The Madwood of Aerenal (Explorer's Handbook pg 123)
Yarkuun Draal, Breland (Five Nations pg 67) (This area is less a manifest zone and more an actual portal to Xoriat, the seal over which is slowly breaking down)
Various daelkyr ruins, Shadow Marches (ECS pg 200)

Miscellaneous Manifest Zones
Aukaraks (Reality Storms), mobile throughout the Tashana Tundra. (Secrets of Sarlona pg 144) (These are fleeting, unstable manifest zones, and can be tied to any plane (except Dal Quor), multiple planes, or may just be comprised of raw cosmic forces like gravity and time.)
Floating Towers of Arcanix, Aundaire. (Five Nations pg 37) (It is possible to find a (presumably manmade) manifest zone tied to any plane (except Dal Quor) by wandering the halls of Arcanix.)
Wild Zones, throughout Sarlona (Secrets of Sarlona pg 16) (These are unspecified manifest zones throughout Sarlona that are stronger than most. They carry the actual traits of the planes they are tied to, are considered coterminous with those planes, and natives of those planes are not considered extraplanar within them, and therefore cannot be banished or dismissed back to their home plane.)
Xen'drik is mentioned to have manifest zones to most other planes. (Because, well, Xen'drik.)
Last edited by AvonRekaes on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

RutyWoot
Son of Eberron

Post by RutyWoot » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 pm

Great job Avon!
Ruty
Maze Arcana DM

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 pm

Thanks, Ruty! Off topic, but I recently got completely caught up with Maze Arcana. Great stuff! (The airship breaking apart around the party was probably my favorite moment so far)

HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Post by HellcowKeith » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:23 am

This is great work! With that said I definitely consider there to be lots of minor manifest zones in the world. To me it's a plot device: You're creating a village, you want to add some local color, well, could they have built it in a manifest zone, and if so, what's the effect? Essentially, these are great examples to use as inspiration, but don't feel limited by it.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 am

If I could +1 comments on forums I would. I'll go back and edit the post to make that more clear. Because you're right, just because there've been no specific examples of Daanvi manifest zones doesn't mean they don't exist.

RutyWoot
Son of Eberron

Post by RutyWoot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:51 pm

Hey, thanks. I do love that episode. Completely unplanned. I didn't expect them to want to leave Orcbone in the middle of a conflict but they really didn't like Lord ir'Tajar. We're seeing that come back on them now.

Great insight to add as well Keith.

This is a great thread and worthy of a pin, imo. Thanks again for putting it together for everyone.

I really want to find time to make a spreadsheet or a quick reference for known cities and their size (town, metropolis, thorp, etc). I don't think it would take that long to go through Five Nations but it's the other books that would require the most attention. My intent is to take that information and feed it into a spreadsheet for random store inventories, as well as a repo for which Dragonmark Houses are represented in which towns with an enclave, etc. Especially, Orien, Jorasco, and Cannith, since that's where characters are likely to try to find travel, healing, and specialty items. Adjust quality and rarity of items based on the city/city size but then have it be quasi-consistent.

Dreams! Everyone's got'em. Well, I guess not kalashtar, warforged, or elves... whatever.
Ruty
Maze Arcana DM

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 am

AvonRekaes wrote:So, here's a pretty exhaustive list of specific manifest zones noted in the setting. This is everything I could find in a 3.5 or 4e source. As Keith Baker mentions below, these are just examples, and any plane can have new manifest zones for your campaign if it fits the story.
Awesome work Avon! :cool:
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 am

HellcowKeith wrote:This is great work! With that said I definitely consider there to be lots of minor manifest zones in the world. To me it's a plot device: You're creating a village, you want to add some local color, well, could they have built it in a manifest zone, and if so, what's the effect? Essentially, these are great examples to use as inspiration, but don't feel limited by it.
...and...
AvonRekaes wrote:If I could +1 comments on forums I would. I'll go back and edit the post to make that more clear. Because you're right, just because there've been no specific examples of Daanvi manifest zones doesn't mean they don't exist.
There is a lot of history of "here is a specific example of something - go make more of your own" in D&D. I'm guessing that Eberron's Manifest Zone are another of those things.

I wonder if a "Random Manifest Zone Creation Table" (based on what is in the canon) could help here. :)

Return to “Eberron”