Where would you locate Yawning Portal dungeons?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Where would you locate Yawning Portal dungeons?

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Eberron support is confirmed for the forthcoming Tales of the Yawning Portal book:

Here are the dungeons that are going to be included in the product (see Havard's topic about the book for the full text):
Wizards of the Coast wrote:Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:
  • Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain
Has anyone got any ideas of where those seven dungeon adventures can be inserted into Eberron?

What clashes do you think might be potential problems with these adventures? What might need to be rebooted to make it comply with Eberron themes? What cool ideas can you think of that might make these dungeons be really memorable as Eberron adventures?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Where would you locate Yawning Portal dungeons?

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:42 am

I can imagine they'll put Tamoachan and the Giants one in Xendrik. Dunno the others.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 am

Zeromaru X wrote:I can imagine they'll put Tamoachan and the Giants one in Xendrik. Dunno the others.
Good call. Of course giant related dungons would be in Xen'drik!

I wonder if Keith Baker knows these, or if they wrote this stuff without him. I'd love to know what his guesses were, if he doesn't know the actual answers.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm

They are all steeped in the earlier traditions of the hobby, particularly in their treatment of humanoids. They aren't difficult to adapt, necessarily, but they would be nearly impossible to drop in within significant changes. The 3e stuff would be easier to adapt than the 1e funhouse stuff.

I've made Forge of Fury a Dhakaani forge instead of a dwarven one, and placed is in Darguun. Odds are they won't be that creative though, and will stick it in Mror.

Sunless citadel has kind of a Children of Winter thing going on, depending on your take on that organization. So, Eldeen?

If Tamoachan is set in Xendrik, it would have to be a non-giant culture because of the scale. It might be easier to reflavour it as Dhakaani.
(changing all human references to goblinoid), or some extinct drow culture (changing all human references to drow).

Against the Giants has an alliance between giants and drow. Not sure where I would put that. Also, three tribes of giants working together doesn't really belong anywhere in Xen'drik, given the curses in play. They might work as three standalone locations in Xen'drik. Maybe you could change the drow to derro or neogi and make the giant chiefs all Droaamish warlords. But are there glaciers or volcanoes in Droaam?

ToH might work for Qabalrin drow, if you removed some of the history/mythology surrounding the dungeon. I don't know how well it would work to have an epic level threat like Acererak active in the world; you would want to constrain him in some way.

White Plume Mountain is the quintessential funhouse dungeon. I mean, it makes no sense, and not in a creepy, Xoriat way. I have no idea what I would do with it.

I don't know anything about Dead in Thay.

RutyWoot
Son of Eberron

Post by RutyWoot » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I would not expect any of them to be directly based in Eberron BUT I have heard that they will have the "how do adapt them to XXX setting" with a little more detail than usual for the DMG or other supplements.

If I were running a campaign, and I hadn't already taken a group to Xen'drik, I might hold off and be creative like Beoric in setting those Yawning Portal adventures in other places.
Ruty
Maze Arcana DM

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Matriarch

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I'd put Undermountain underneath Sharn.
In caritate, veritás.

Vaelorn
Goblin

Post by Vaelorn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 pm

The book might be useful for the conversions rules, especially as there's no official 5e stuff for Eberron right now. But I'm not sure I'd agree that they are the "seven of the most compelling dungeons". Most seem to be dungeon crawls - would they even fit into the "pulp" nature of Eberron? Seems like you'd have to to a lot of other work to them (depending on your campaign, of course) - and I'm guessing most folks have the original 1e versions, and the various 3e/4e conversions so you have the background details, maps etc. It would be nice if WotC could be a bit more original!

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:27 am

If you really want a classic adventure to convert to Eberron, I would suggest the "U" series, starting with Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. The party investigates a haunted house, only to determine that it is not haunted, but is a cover for a smuggling operation. Investigating further, the smugglers are running weapons to the nearby lizardfolk. The town council panics, and assigns the party to scout out the lizardman camp.

As it turns out, the lizardfolk are not a threat. What is actually happening is the lizardfolk have been pushed out of their territory by a tribe a sahuagin, who actually are a threat to the town. They are trying to purchase arms and make alliances with various aquatic races in order to deal with the sahuagin threat. The party may or may not figure that out.

There are two obvious ways it can go. The party figures out what is going on before they slaughter the lizardfolk. They can negotiate an alliance between the town and the lizardfolk, but only if the party pays compensation for every lizardfolk killed by them up to that point. They then recon the sahuagin lair with the assistance of the lizardfolk. Otherwise, they only figure out what is going on after they kill all the lizardfolk, and have to do it without the lizardfolk's help. How well you do in the recon determines how well the town does in the war against the sahuagin.

This would obviously work well in Q'barra. In addition to the lizardfolk plot, and the politics, there are a bunch of other Eberronesque elements (like sea princes, and the involvement of aquatic elves, and wars between aquatic races).

If I was to run it, I would probably add another layer. The sahuagin have actually been displaced by aboleths, and need bases that are partially on land to resist the push. Both the lizardfolk citadel and the town (which would have partially submerged ruins beneath it) qualify.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:27 pm

The Tomb of Horrors i imagine as like, one of the most deadly "ruins" left behind by the Qabalrin elves. The demilich, of course, being a Qabalrin elf necromancer. As such, I place it hidden among the jungles of Xen'drik. Part of the horror of the tomb is that it seems to be especially affected by the Traveler's Curse, more so than other locations. Even natives of Xen'drik can't reliably find it when they want to.

And, more disconcertingly, it has a disturbing habit of showing up when lost adventurers or harried natives are seeking shelter.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I was reading Hellcow's conversion of the Savage Tide adventure "The Sea Wyvern's Wake", which described the city of Tamoachan as a goblinod ruin similar to Dhakaani culture and located on the east coast of Khorvaire - Lhazaar or Q'Barra, I couldn't tell which.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:47 am

It occurs to me that with some minor revisions Against the Giants could be run in Xen'drik if the role of the drow was taken over by the dreaming dark, who are manipulating the giants. The giants' conspiracy is to try to bring Eberron and Dal Quor into alignment because they believe that this will end the Traveller's Curse (which may or may not be true), and consequently will allow them to restore their empire to its former glory (which also may or may not be true).

Return to “Eberron”