5th Edition Feat - Dual Wand Wielder (Brainstorming)

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
AvonRekaes
Troll

5th Edition Feat - Dual Wand Wielder (Brainstorming)

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:45 pm

The idea of the dual wand wielder feat stuck with me. Here's my first attempt at it, but I'm open to more ideas!

First off, I decided not to specifically make this a feat for Cannith Wand Adepts. I recalled that Jim Darkmagic of Acquisitions Inc. fame also used to use two wands, and the idea is just generally cool enough that I didn't want to limit it to one specific type of character in Eberron. So in terms of world flavor, Cannith Wand Adepts aren't the ONLY dual wand wielders, they're just the most well-known and well-organized tradition of the craft. (Maybe a wand adept was excoriated sometime in the past and decided to keep taking on apprentices, and the practice has spread to talented individuals outside the house.)

Beyond the basic "cast two-cantrips at once" thing I came up with for the NPC wand adept, I figured the feat needed a bit more. I made the feat allow you to be the most reliable wand user in the party, because why not, makes sense. The Sleight of Hand proficiency I figured just makes a lot of sense. Being able to simultaneously complete two separate sets of somatic components seems like something that would require a lot of fine dexterity and manual control. (I actually briefly thought of making Sleight of Hand a prerequisite, but figured I should ease off on prerequisites since most 5e feats don't have them)

Dual Wand Wielder
You master the use of wands as an arcane focus, gaining the following benefits:
◾When wielding a wand in each hand, you can expend a 2nd-level spell slot or higher to simultaneously cast two cantrips as one action. You can supply the somatic component for each cantrip with each wand.
◾Any wand you attune to that has charges recovers an extra charge per day (up to its normal maximum), and is never at risk of being permanently destroyed when its last charge is spent.
◾You gain proficiency in Sleight of Hand. If you are already proficient in Sleight of Hand, you add double your proficiency bonus when making Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: 5th Edition Feat - Dual Wand Wielder (Brainstorming)

Post by enderxenocide0 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

A few things:

1. You may want to word the somatic component bit like the War Caster feat, which reads: "You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have weapons or a shield in one or both hands." So it might be something along the lines of: "You can perform the somatic components of spells even when you have a wand in one or both hands."

2. Maybe just call it Wand Adept or Wand Expert, so it doesn't specify two wands, at least if "master wand wielder" is what you're ultimately after.

3. Why a second level spell or higher as opposed to a first? I'm not saying one is better, just curious as to the reasoning. Especially because that means a 1st level human variant with the bonus feat can't fully benefit from this feat. That's not a big issue, admittedly, just something to be aware of.

4. Why Sleight of Hand? I mean, I get the thought that you've got to be good with hand gestures, but from a realistic standpoint, I feel like you're actually not as good with fine motor skills when using wands to make the gestures. But then, I'm picturing the tips of the wand(s) being used to make geometric patterns and such, though I could see the argument that you're still making the finger motions regardless of the wands being in your hands. Also, the double proficiency I suspect is based off of the Unearthed Arcana feats that provided double proficiency for a tool proficiency if you were already proficient. Skill proficiencies typically only get that from Expertise or on features that apply to highly specific uses of a skill (the dwarves' Stonecunning, for instance). The Skilled feat doesn't even give you Expertise, so I'd be cautious about the double Sleight of Hand proficiency here.

5. Something nice might be the ability to identify wands (but maybe not the number of charges) just by touching one, instead of having to spend a short rest with it.

6. Also consider that a Sorcerer's Quickened Spell does a similar thing and makes it a bonus action and consumes two Sorcery Points. I might suggest at least mirroring the bonus action for the second spell, because I can already imagine the abuses of casting three spells in a round with a Sorcerer that Quickens a spell and has this feat.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Re: 5th Edition Feat - Dual Wand Wielder (Brainstorming)

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Thanks for the input. Here's some thoughts:

1. Good call.

2. I am absolutely going for two wands, not just a wand expert. The idea is to play an awesome spellslinger with wands akimbo. The mastery of wands is a byproduct of that. A feat to be good at wands is less interesting to me than a feat that allows you to wield two wands and also be good at wands.

3. Because I'm concerned that two cantrips will always be better than a first level spell. That was my gut instinct at least, so I lead with caution.

4. Because I like the philosophy that feats should be more broadly applicable than for one trick. I thought there was enough design space for another benefit, a "mundane" side effect of your ambidexterity with spellcasting that will show through. As for the double proficiency, remember that Expertise can apply to a tool as well. Also this feat is closer in design to those UA feats than Skilled. The purpose of Skilled isn't to focus your character in a specific direction, its to make them broadly competent, whereas the UA feats and this feat represent focused attention on one aspect of your character(making intricate, precise, different spell gestures with each hand simultaneously, something which I think would naturally make you good at, say, contact juggling.) Mechanically, I don't believe there is much difference in weight between tool proficiencies and skill proficiencies, so if one archetype of feats works for one, I think it's a pretty good indicator that it can work for the other.

That being said, I'm not married to the Sleight of Hand bonus. I was just trying to give a mundane benefit to the feat for variety.

5. That's also a good idea

6. It was actually intentional that you be able to cast a third spell. The rules for casting more than one spell in a turn says, roughly, if you cast a spell as a bonus action, the only type of spell you can cast with your action is a cantrip. Well now you cast two cantrips. And a sorcerer with this feat will be able to, at the cost off a feat, a 2nd level spell slot and 2 sorcery points, cast 2 cantrips and a regular spell. I'm not sure that's that crazy, over, say, 2 higher spellcasting stat, 2 sorcery points, and casting one spell and one cantrip (both of which are more accurate/harder to resist because of the ability boost).

Also I intentionally didn't make it a bonus action because I wanted it to feel more like the Extra Attack feature, for spellcasters. I mean, does this let the spellcaster do a lot? Sure. But at the end of the day, all it lets you do is get an extra cantrip in a round by giving up a second level spell. I think that's fair.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

Return to “Eberron”