Music for Eberron

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Music for Eberron

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 pm

So this is just a thread to help out DMs that use music at their sessions. What tracks would you play in your Eberron games? I like to use Tabletop Audio for a lot of good ambient sounds effects and general music loops. But if I'm going for a specific feel, I tend to seek out video game and movie soundtracks. For example, last night, my players were trekking through the Forest of Flesh and heading to Blackroot for a Daelkyr mystery (I have Blackroot inhabited by servants of Dyrrn instead of by Mordain). I wanted some unsettling and alien music, somewhat in the vein of Gyorgy Ligeti's Requiem. In my search, I stumbled across the soundtrack for Under the Skin, which is forever my Daelkyr music now. What about you guys?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Music for Eberron

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:58 pm

There is actually a CD that comes with Sharn: City of Towers.

I'm pretty good with that, when I want inspiration. But I can imagine it would get stale if you regurgitated it for every game.

Maze Arcana have their live-streamed games. They use Syrinscape for that.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Yeah, personally, I was never fond of that album. The tracks were okay, but they always felt a little bland to me. I like Syrinscape; I had a demo of it for a bit a year or two ago, but I never was willing to spend the money for it. I like that Tabletop Audio is free and I can listen to soundtracks in general after I've bought them (unlike looping audio on Syrinscape that I wouldn't listen to outside of a session).

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 pm

You might find some inspiration here. I like Eberron almost as much as I like Mystara, as they both have a lot of he same vibes, and music suited for writing for one setting would certainly apply to the other.

I find a lot of character and villain themes in various anime soundtracks, and Two Steps From Hell usually fits the bill for set pieces.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:52 pm

I may be in the minority here, but I play music from the period between 1918 and 1938. It may be because I run Eberron as if its the "between the wars" period.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm

BPIJonathan wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I play music from the period between 1918 and 1938. It may be because I run Eberron as if its the "between the wars" period.
That's quite clever. I'm not sure I would do that, but it is the Film Noir era, so I can see where you are coming from there.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Big Mac wrote:
BPIJonathan wrote:I may be in the minority here, but I play music from the period between 1918 and 1938. It may be because I run Eberron as if its the "between the wars" period.
That's quite clever. I'm not sure I would do that, but it is the Film Noir era, so I can see where you are coming from there.

Thank you. I think its the historian in me that views it this way. Unfortunately I have not run the game in some time, been too busy trying to write new material. A guys gotta eat you know :/
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:05 pm

When I ran a gala event in my game, I used techno swing to make the old era music modernized a bit for the audience and scene, so I could definitely see using actual music from that era!

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:When I ran a gala event in my game, I used techno swing to make the old era music modernized a bit for the audience and scene, so I could definitely see using actual music from that era!
Did you use a particular band?
Jonathan M. Thompson

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I used the Electro Swing compilations on the Xefox Music YouTube channel.

kristianserrano
Orc

Post by kristianserrano » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:44 pm

My Eberron playlists (different playlists for different scenes and styles of play) include mostly the following film scores:
  • The 13th Warrior
  • The Mummy
  • The Mummy Returns
  • Van Helsing
  • Rambo (2008)
  • Sin City
  • The Crow (the score, not the soundtrack)
I also mix in some other video game soundtracks here and there.
Manifest Zone, a monthly podcast exploring Eberron as a tabletop RPG setting
Savage Worlds Eberron Conversion Companion

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I use Syrinscape at my table, so I typically end up using Matthew Mercer's critical role playlists, which include music from classic crpgs like Elder Scrolls and Infinity engine games, and some new ones like Pillars of Eternity.

I did, however, mix and upload my own custom sound set for Sharn, which combined elements from a "big city" soundset already in Syrinscape with some bleak sounding music and heavy rainfall for outside scenes, and tavern sounds with low-key jazz for indoor scenes. Because I wanted to make these available to other users of Syrinscape, I limited myself to royalty free music. (I got it from bensounds.com, I think). If anyone has Syrinscape, the soundset is called "Noir City". The slider for the rain noise is called "tower spit" as my homage to Eberron.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

kristianserrano
Orc

Post by kristianserrano » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:18 am

kristianserrano wrote:My Eberron playlists (different playlists for different scenes and styles of play) include mostly the following film scores:
  • The 13th Warrior
  • The Mummy
  • The Mummy Returns
  • Van Helsing
  • Rambo (2008)
  • Sin City
  • The Crow (the score, not the soundtrack)
I also mix in some other video game soundtracks here and there.
Oops. I forgot to include:
  • Gangster Squad
  • Columbus Circle
  • Broken City
  • From Hell
  • Frailty
Manifest Zone, a monthly podcast exploring Eberron as a tabletop RPG setting
Savage Worlds Eberron Conversion Companion

Return to “Eberron”