What happened in the Day of Mourning?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

What happened in the Day of Mourning?

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm

I know that the causes of the Day of Mourning are the mystery about Eberron, so I'm not asking about them. I'm more interested in how it happened, because, at least in the Eberron books I currently have, there is no explanation of that.

Was it a huge explosion? If it was, what kind of explosion? Hiroshima? Tsar bomb? Was it visible from outer space? It was something akin the Great Rain of Fire of Mystara?

If it wasn't an explosion, them how it happened? A cloud of mortal magical mist that surrounded the land, and when dissipated left the Mournland in its wake? A storm? Or just the troops and the land vanished, and the recon scouts that went to seek them out just found the Mournland and nothing more?

How it was experienced by nearby witnesses? And by people far beyond Cyre? Was it felt in the rest Khorvaire? (tremors, hurricanes, magic disruption or even magic ceasing to function at all for a few minutes/hours; other similar stuff). What about the rest of the world?

That's the stuff I'm interested in. Hope you can help me.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: What happened in the Day of Mourning?

Post by enderxenocide0 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:51 pm

From Five Nations:

"Those who escaped Metrol on the Day of Mourning claim that the dead-gray mists first appeared boiling out of the royal palaces of Vermishard, spreading from there to cover the entire city and then all of Cyre. Certainly the city was struck without warning, and succumbed quickly, but others believe that the ruin known as the Making was the epicenter of the arcane event."

That's all I recall off the top of my head, though I think I vaguely remember some of the protagonists in Keith's Dreaming Dark trilogy having memories of the Day of Mourning. I don't have my copy handy to check, though.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks.

And there is another term... what is the "Making"? Has to do with warforged production?

ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Post by ThePurple » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:And there is another term... what is the "Making"? Has to do with warforged production?
Making is a city in Central Cyre that is the ancestral home of House Cannith (which also happens to be right in the middle of the Glass Plateau). When I asked about it, Hellcow told me that, in his mind, it was more of a ceremonial center (a Cannith artificer has a certain cache if they were educated there instead of elsewhere) and administrative/bureaucratic center for the House rather than an actual center of production (there's no specific mention of a creation or genesis forge there) or R&D (like Whitehearth, which was in SE Cyre).

HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Post by HellcowKeith » Mon May 01, 2017 5:43 pm

I only just saw this, but the previous answers generally cover it. The mists were the front line of the effect, spreading outwards and transforming locations and people caught within the mists. As they expanded, they slowed, so people were able to flee the advance of the mist.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 am

HellcowKeith wrote:I only just saw this, but the previous answers generally cover it. The mists were the front line of the effect, spreading outwards and transforming locations and people caught within the mists. As they expanded, they slowed, so people were able to flee the advance of the mist.
I am reminded of a line from the Lord of the Rings movies: "It's working!" "I know it's working! RUN!"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue May 02, 2017 5:57 pm

So, it was a mist... interesting. I don't know why I always imagined the Day of Mourning as an explosion (maybe just because is more dramatic?), but I can work with that (I scared my players with colors, so mists can do the work as well).

Thanks for your answers!

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:So, it was a mist... interesting. I don't know why I always imagined the Day of Mourning as an explosion (maybe just because is more dramatic?), but I can work with that (I scared my players with colors, so mists can do the work as well).
My version of the Day of Mourning starts with a flash and a wave of bright white light / arcane energy that spreads from one or more points of Cyre. As the light fades, the Dead-Grey Mists hang in the air and coalesce at the edges. I never made it a physical explosion, but the imagery I use is pretty heavy on the nuclear holocaust side of things.

ADDENDUM: Don't forget, you can do whatever you want with your Day of Mourning!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Yeah, I know. But I'm a bit of... purist, yeah, I can call it that. I fell it wrong if I do not follow canon, even if I deviate from it afterwards.

HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Post by HellcowKeith » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Ender is certainly correct - you can do anything you want with the Mourning. With that said, one of the concepts in canon is that it wasn't instantaneous. It was fast enough to consume most of the population, but there were people who had enough warning to flee before the Mourning reached their position. To me, this also addresses the fact that the Mourning didn't have a uniform effect; regions within the Mournland can be quite different from one another. This speaks to the idea that the effect was evolving and shifting even as it expanded.

In my mind it's not that the mists were the source of the transformation; rather, the mists were a product of the transforming effect and obscured whatever was actually going on, following the edge of the event horizon. The actual effect may have been glowing arcane energy, but we don't know because all any survivors saw were the expanding mists.

But to your other question, per canon it definitely wasn't an explosion in the traditional sense. Landscapes and structures may have been affected by the Mourning, but not in a uniform way and not generally with complete destruction. So you have a lot of cities in the Mournland - including Metrol and Making - that are largely still intact, just changed.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 pm

So if I get this right, it's kind of a Reversed Ravenloft Domain.

Instead of pulling the domain into the Demiplane of Terror, the Mist changed the Country/Domain to make it a Dead Wasteland.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 am

The description in "The Mark of Prophecy", from just outside the western border of Cyre:
The eastern sky seems to catch on fire - clouds, fog, and the air itself ignite in a terrible conflagration.
The sky is illuminated in lurid orange and red, casting strange shadows across rolling banks of gray fog.
Great tendrils of fiery lightning reach across the cloud-draped sky.
A huge bank of gray mist lit from within by a raging fire is sweeping down the Saerun Road from the east.
You can no longer see the armies fighting on the road below, they're hidden in the gray fog.
Occasional flashes of fire are all you can see in the mist that hides the battlefield, but the echoes of distant screams reach your ears.
Deathly silence falls over the hillside around the ruined tower. You still can't see the road below, and no more cries reach you from the battlefield. That dead gray mist hangs in the air like a wall around Cyre - too still, too quiet. Something terrible has happened.
I quite like this, I've used it twice.

Return to “Eberron”