Living Spell Ideas

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Living Spell Ideas

Postby enderxenocide0 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 pm

My players are currently exploring the Mournland and found their way to a Zil outpost where the inhabitants are trying to apply Zil Elemental Binding techniques to living spells they have captured and are studying. (They use Ghostbuster-like magical technology) The party has offered to help the gnomes capture a few high priority living spells for the outpost in exchange for information and supplies. I'd like to come up with a list of a few unique living spells that might be interesting for my players to seek out and catch, maybe including what areas they can be found in.

One thought I had was to use Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion and turn that into a living spell that takes the form of a sentient, partly-corporeal building in the Mournland. Other living spells use it for sanctuary and can be found inside. It'd be very much like a haunted hause kind of encounter, where they have to find something specific inside the mansion in order to capture it. Maybe a mage intended to use it to escape the Mourning... but it provided him no sanctuary and his spirit is trapped within the living spell.

Other ideas?
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Re: Living Spell Ideas

Postby ThePurple » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm

When I was making living spells for my players to fight, I found that 4e provided a very simple framework. I could just go through any handbook and pick a spell that seemed interesting: at-wills spells are minions (which cast the spell as their at-will and cast it again when they're killed), encounter spells are standards, and daily spells are elites. Utility spells tend not to work very well, if only because they're not really threatening in any way, though I do think that it would be kind of interesting to see some natives or Mournlanders wielding living Shield spells as equipment (heavy shield; once/daily cast shield), along with other combat functional utility spells (you might be able to justify Dimension Door as a controller, if you allow it to teleport them into the air and take falling damage or teleport away parts of them to cause damage).
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby Beoric » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

A living Mordenkainen's Hound fused with a living Detect Object, which is constantly running around and digging up buried things (anything from tin cans to treasure).

A living Grease spell which is responsible for the deaths of water birds and sea life off Scion's Sound.

A living Jump spell that flings around creatures it comes into contact with.

A living Monster Summoning spell that is constantly spawning monsters like the videos game Gauntlet.

A living Teleport. If it hits you it transports you to a random location within 100 miles.

Suddenly I'm envisioning a wizard school hit by the Mourning which it full of those crazy "tricks" from Gygaxian dungeons and Appendixes A and H of the 1e DMG which appear to exist for no other reason than to screw with adventurers. Like fountains that might heal or poison, or randomly increase or decrease ability scores, or grant wishes, or randomly teleport characters, or animate their weapons to attack them, etc.
Beoric
Bugbear

Postby Vaelorn » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 pm

Beoric wrote:A living Mordenkainen's Hound fused with a living Detect Object, which is constantly running around and digging up buried things (anything from tin cans to treasure).

A living Grease spell which is responsible for the deaths of water birds and sea life off Scion's Sound.

A living Jump spell that flings around creatures it comes into contact with.

A living Monster Summoning spell that is constantly spawning monsters like the videos game Gauntlet.

A living Teleport. If it hits you it transports you to a random location within 100 miles.

Suddenly I'm envisioning a wizard school hit by the Mourning which it full of those crazy "tricks" from Gygaxian dungeons and Appendixes A and H of the 1e DMG which appear to exist for no other reason than to screw with adventurers. Like fountains that might heal or poison, or randomly increase or decrease ability scores, or grant wishes, or randomly teleport characters, or animate their weapons to attack them, etc.

These are great!
Vaelorn
Goblin

Postby RobJN » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:22 am

I developed a few for my 5e game:
  • Antimagic Field: Engulfed spellcasters must make an Intelligence save vs. their Spell Save DC or lose 1 random spell slot. The Angimagic field will eject a spellcaster once all its spell slots have been absorbed.
  • Burning Hands: These flap around like fire-winged bats, attempting to "buzz" heroes and set them alight.
  • Lightning Bolt: Either slither along the ground or wheel through the air in seemingly random directions
  • Magic Missile Flock: swarm loses hp equal to damage dealt.
The heroes must investigate a magic school gone haywire, and living spells are... well, the least of their worries.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Big Mac » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 am

Nice topic. I had a similar topic that might be useful to you: Has anyone created any living spells?

You might also find the Living Spell article on Eberron Wiki useful.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby HenshinFanatic » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:09 am

Cross posting from the Google+ group (now that I've finally gotten around to making an account here)

Maybe a herd of living phantom steeds each fused with a different spell. For example one that causes earthquakes with each step as the earthquake spell, another leaves behind a trail of fire that persists for 1d4 hours functioning like wall of fire, another with chilling breath that functions as cone of cold, and so on.
HenshinFanatic
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 pm

HenshinFanatic wrote:Cross posting from the Google+ group (now that I've finally gotten around to making an account here)

Maybe a herd of living phantom steeds each fused with a different spell. For example one that causes earthquakes with each step as the earthquake spell, another leaves behind a trail of fire that persists for 1d4 hours functioning like wall of fire, another with chilling breath that functions as cone of cold, and so on.

Thanks for coming over Henshin. I really like the herd of phantom steeds idea, especially the way that they are all slightly different. :)

Another couple of ideas I saw elsewhere were:
  • "What about living animate dead?", from Zeno and
  • "Living Prestidigitation could be fun - almost creating a minor (but nowhere near as risky) Wild Magic Surge when it passes though.
    - All food becomes clean, but tastes and smells like rotten eggs.
    - All liquids become lukewarm and filled with swirly colors.
    - All clothes become damp and soiled.
    - All small unattended objects start to levitate slowly, creating a field where stones and other debris are suspended in the air until disturbed." from Patrick.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:Another couple of ideas I saw elsewhere were:
  • "What about living animate dead?", from Zeno and
<snip>
Foul beans! That would really be an encounter...late at night...in a graveyard with a slew of the recently deceased. :o
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ThePurple » Wed May 03, 2017 1:01 am

To channel the Zelda a little bit, Living Bigby's Grasping Hand + Teleport/Passwall = Wallmaster.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed May 03, 2017 11:58 am

ThePurple wrote:To channel the Zelda a little bit, Living Bigby's Grasping Hand + Teleport/Passwall = Wallmaster.

:o Egads!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 pm

ThePurple wrote:To channel the Zelda a little bit, Living Bigby's Grasping Hand + Teleport/Passwall = Wallmaster.

I don't know Zelda. (I've heard of it, but don't play it.) What's a Wallmaster?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't know Zelda. (I've heard of it, but don't play it.) What's a Wallmaster?

This.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ThePurple » Sun May 07, 2017 11:20 pm

To elaborate, they're from the Legend of Zelda games; they are disembodied hands that will grab Link and then teleport him to the start of the dungeon/room (hence Bigby's Grasping Hand + Teleport or Passwall).

It's kind of off-topic, but I actually think that the Mournlands would be pretty good for a Zelda inspired adventure: use the LoB as the Ganon/Ganondorf expy, "Schema of Courage" "Schema of Wisdom" and "Schema of Power" as lost artifacts of House Cannith that the party is searching for (LoB has the Schema of Power and is searching for the pieces of the other 2; Schema instead of Triforce), etc.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby HawkDiesel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:25 am

Here are a couple of Living Spells I've used in my most recent Eberron campaign.

Sickening Sleep
Huge ooze, unaligned
Damage Resistances bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons
Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, prone
Sense blindsight 60’ (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8
Languages Understands the language of its master

Ooze Cube. The ooze takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but a creature that does so is subjected to the cube's Engulf and has disadvantage on the saving throw.
Creatures inside the cube can be seen but have total cover.
A creature within 5 feet of the cube can take an action to pull a creature or object out of the cube. Doing so requires a successful DC 12 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 1d6 Strength damage.
The cube can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.

Lullabye. The ooze emits a magical lullaby, causing all creatures within 60’ who can hear it to feel drowsy. Those affected must make a DC 12 Wisdom.
Those that fail fall asleep until they can no longer hear the lullaby. A creature sleeping under this spell is allowed another saving throw with advantage if they take damage or a creature uses an action to attempt to wake them up.
Creatures that succeed their saving throw are limited to choosing either an action or bonus action during their turn, but cannot do both. They are also unable to take reactions.
Elves and creatures that are immune to sleep effects automatically succeed on their saving throw, but are otherwise affected as any other creature.
This ability has no effect on deafened creatures or those without the capacity to hear.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6 Strength damage and the target must make a new saving throw against the Lullaby ability or fall asleep. A target’s Strength score cannot drop below 1.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.
On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the ooze. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.
On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 1d6 Strength damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can't breathe and is restrained. When the ooze moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the ooze.

Charming Armor
Large ooze, unaligned

Charm. The ooze is made of energy that works on the mind, making you believe that it is an ally and that you do not want to attack it. Any creature that can see it that attempts to attack it must make a DC 12 Wisdom save. Those that fail cannot bring themselves to attack the ooze, but can take other actions so long as those actions would not directly cause harm to the ooze. Succeeding the saving throw allows you to attack the ooze as normal until the start of your next turn.
A creature can close its eyes before making the attack, but doing so causes the attack to be made at disadvantage.
This ability has no effect on creatures immune to charm effects, or creatures that do not require sight to attack.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d4+5 bludgeoning damage.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.
On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the ooze. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw.
On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space. Unlike most oozes, you are able to breathe and act as normal while the ooze inhabits your space. After the ooze enters your space, it moves over your body to form a living suit of armor. Any attack that targets you instead targets the ooze. While engulfed by the ooze you are also immune anything that produces an area of effect and enemies are not considered to have line of sight on you. When you move, you can choose to have the ooze move with you. If the ooze is hit by an attack that would reduce it below 0 hit points, any remaining damage is taken by the engulfed creature.

Corrosive Web
Large ooze, unaligned
Damage Vulnerabilities fire

Corrosive Slime. The ooze is covered in a corrosive slime. Any creature within 5 ft. that strikes the ooze with a melee attack takes 5 acid damage.

ACTIONS
Pseudopod. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1d8+5 acid damage. Those hit with the pseudopod must make a DC 12 Dexterity Save or take an additional 5 acid damage at the beginning of their turn. This damage repeats every round until the Dexterity Save is successful.

Anchoring Shot. The ooze can launch a sticky, acidic web at a location within 60 ft. All creatures within 5 ft. of the effect must make a DC 16 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (target’s choice). Those that fail are considered grappled and take 1d8+5 acid damage. Those grappled may attempt to break free by using an action to attempt a new DC 16 Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (target’s choice). Those grappled continue to take 1d8+5 acid damage at the end of each turn for as long as the grapple remains.

Engulf. The ooze moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Medium or smaller creatures' spaces. Whenever the ooze enters a creature's space, the creature must make a DC 12 Dexterity saving throw.
On a failed save, the ooze enters the creature's space, and the creature takes 3d6 acid damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can't breathe, is restrained, and takes 6d6 acid damage at the start of each of the cube's turns. When the ooze moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the ooze.
A creature within 5 feet of the ooze can take an action to pull a creature or object out of the cube. Doing so requires a successful DC 12 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 3d6 acid damage. The ooze can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.
HawkDiesel
Orc

Return to Eberron