Oath of the Bone

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Oath of the Bone

Postby Makis83 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:02 pm

Hey adventures, here is another homebrew for eberron. This is the Bone Knight of Karnath that was presented at 3.5 Five Nations. I designed him as a Paladin Oath. Check him out and share your thoughts.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BklzEhLCl

OATH OF THE BONE
Bone knights are Karrn patriots, living protectors who fight alongside the undead legions of their land. During the Last War, they provided tactical expertise and fine control to the legions of undead Kaius raised to defend his people. In postwar Karrnath, they serve as elite knights who travel abroad to complete missions that serve the greater glory of their king. They wear suits of bonecrafted armor that they create themselves and learn to harness the power of necromancy, turning hordes of undead into disciplined, even cunning, troops.

The Art of Bonecrafting
Paladins of this Oath gather the bones of their fallen comrades and attach them to their armor and weapons for two reasons: to honor the fallen and to bring fear to their enemies. The prosses requires specific skill, both mandane and necromatic, taught only by the knights themselves.

The Knight must gather a specific amount of bones, which he can then forge onto his armor and weapons. This process can be used on any physical weapon or armor and takes 8 hours of effort, or can be incorporated into the forging of new weapons or armor without any significant delay in the construction process. The resulting equipment has a particularly menacing visage, and those that use them in combat sow fear in their enemies. A Bone Knight leading a battalion of Karrnathi undead is a sight that haunts the dreams of any warrior.

You gain proficiency to Intimidation while wearing armor or wielding weapons treated with Bonecrafting. If you are already proficient, your proficiency bonus for it is doubled instead.

When using Divine Smite with a weapon treated with Bonecrafting, the extra damage of the Divine Smite is necrotic instead of radiant.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
Oath of the Bone Spells
    Paladin Level Spells
    3rd False Life, Inflict wounds
    5th Ray of Enfeeblement, Summon Skeletal Steed
    9th Animate Dead, Vampiric Touch
    13th Animate Karrnathi Dead, Death Ward
    17th Raise Dead, Antilife Shell

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Bone March.You can use your Channel Divinity to rally undead to your command. As an action, choose one zombie or skeleton within 30 feet of you that you can see. The creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be Charmed by you for 24 hours. While Charmed, the creature must obey your commands to the best of its abilities. Using Bone March on a creature already affected by it refreshes its duration to the full 24 hours without requiring a new saving throw. Additionaly you can use this Channel Divinity on undead created with Animate Dead to expand the duration of your control without casting the Spell again. Creatures whose Challenge Rating is equal or greater than your Paladin level are immune to this effect.

Arms of the Grave.You can use your Channel Divinity to imbue your bonecrafted armor or weapon with necrotic energy. As a bonus action, you choose one bonecrafted weapon you are wielding or one suit of bonecrafter armor you are wearing. If you select a weapon, it deals an extra 1d4 necrotic damage to any target it hits, for one minute. If you select a suit of armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage you receive from non-magical weapons while wearing that suit of armor is reduced by an amount equal to half of your Charisma modifier (rounded up, minimum 1), for one minute.

Master of the White Banner
At 7th level, all undead under your control have advantage on saving throws against being turned, and those within 10 feet of you gain a bonus to melee weapon damage rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Exoskeleton of Undeath
At 15th level, you learn how to expand the necromantic energies that dwell within bonecrafted armor to affect yourself. You can take one hour to perform a ritual that allows you to fuse a suit of bonecrafted armor on your body. This fused suit cannot be removed except by your death or the same ritual, but otherwise retains its traits. While fused with bonecrafted armor, you gain immunity to poison damage and the poisoned condition, and you do not need to eat or drink.

Aspect of Death
At 20th level, you can assume the mantle of death and become a veritable Reaper on the Material Plane. Using your action, you slip away from the grasp of life to enter death's embrace. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:

Death Strike. When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a Bonecraft Weapon, you can reroll that die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.

Lord of the Dead. Undead creatures under your command are immune to effects that turn undead. Each undead creature that you can see within 60 feet of you at the beginning of your turn is subjected to the effects of Bone March.

Death Denial.
If damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to the damage taken. On a success, you drop to 1 hit point instead.
Just take it easy man.
Makis83
Goblin

Re: Oath of the Bone

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 am

I like this a lot! I think the flavor is spot on for the Boneknight. I love the concept of bonecrafted arms and armor. I also like the inclusion of Raise Dead as an oath spell. I think the class features are well balanced, and in fact I think that Exoskeleton of Undeath should also provide resistance to necrotic as well as poison damage.

My only other suggestion is to model Death Denial more closely to the Barbarian's Relentless Rage class feature. It reflects much of the same flavor, and is an already existing mechanic you can pilfer and be sure that it's balanced.

Also, how often can you use Aspect of Death? 1/long rest?
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby Makis83 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:09 pm

AvonRekaes wrote:I like this a lot! I think the flavor is spot on for the Boneknight. I love the concept of bonecrafted arms and armor. I also like the inclusion of Raise Dead as an oath spell. I think the class features are well balanced, and in fact I think that Exoskeleton of Undeath should also provide resistance to necrotic as well as poison damage.

My only other suggestion is to model Death Denial more closely to the Barbarian's Relentless Rage class feature. It reflects much of the same flavor, and is an already existing mechanic you can pilfer and be sure that it's balanced.

Also, how often can you use Aspect of Death? 1/long rest?

Hello and thank you for your feedback. I was thinking the same about giving resistance to necrotic so i might just do so. Yes Aspect of Death 1/long resT.
I wanted the abilities of the bone knight to look like zombies and skeletons' abilities. That's why i gave death denial this design, to look more like a zombie ability.
Just take it easy man.
Makis83
Goblin

Postby AvonRekaes » Sun May 28, 2017 5:05 am

Ahhh, right! Forgot about zombie fortitude. Good call!
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Very interesting. I have wondered how playable Bone Knights are (as they would seem to be tied down to the local area quite a bit) but you have put a lot of detail into this.

Have you got any thoughts on how a Bone Knight might be involved in anything other than mass combat, and how they might integrate into a group of adventurers?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Makis83 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:Very interesting. I have wondered how playable Bone Knights are (as they would seem to be tied down to the local area quite a bit) but you have put a lot of detail into this.

Have you got any thoughts on how a Bone Knight might be involved in anything other than mass combat, and how they might integrate into a group of adventurers?

Well The Bone Knight have been first introduced in the book Five Nations in 2005. I must admit that i loved the concept of the class but like you i believed he was suited only in a very specific eberron campaign.
Here are some thoughts for some bone knight concepts that could feat in a classic eberron campaign:
1) The Bone Knight is sent officially by King Kaius himself to help any local authorities to hunt down the Order of the Emerald Claw. He is an agent representing the crown of Karnnath and with him he carries all the required diplomatic documents in order to venture through the kingdoms legally. This is suitable in an espionage - political and intrigue style campaign.
2) The Bone Knight is sent to Stormreach to wipe out the remaining Swords of Karrn and their leader.
3) The Bone Knight is sent to retrieve an ancient artifact from the first vampire that rests in Xen'drik. This concept could work for a more evil party that follows the Order of the Emerald Claw.
4) The Bone Knight is a war criminal in hiding. He rarely uses his necromantic powers and tries to start a new life. I know few would dare to play that one.
Just take it easy man.
Makis83
Goblin

Return to Eberron