5e Magic Item - Bolt Launcher

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

5e Magic Item - Bolt Launcher

Postby AvonRekaes » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Thought I'd come up with these as a surprise for the party artificer. He desperately wants to wield two hand crossbows like pistols akimbo, but the ammunition property of hand crossbows requires a hand free to load them. He currently makes due with the Crossbow Expert feat and a bit of action juggling every turn.

Also yes, it deliberately looks like a gun. I have a flavor-reason why its constructed this way magically. In my mind the bolt is magically launched like a rail gun, some sort of magical-force-version of linear induction. This is my own headcannon way to explain the magical bonus to attack and damage (a completely magical propulsion method). So, because of the magical propulsion there's no need for a crossbar, and the flight groove of a crossbow would be completely enclosed to make the propelled bolt more accurate.

BOLT LAUNCHER, +1 , +2, OR +3
Weapon (hand crossbow), uncommon (+1), rare (+2), very rare (+3), or legendary (+3)

This weapon appears to be a hand crossbow, except that it lacks a crossbar and has a covered flight groove. When making an attack with a bolt launcher, you have a bonus to attack and damage rolls. The bonus is determined by the weapon's rarity.

Additionally, a bolt launcher creates its own ammunition every time you attack with it, allowing you to ignore both the loading and ammunition properties of the hand crossbow. If you desire, you can load the bolt launcher with pre-existing ammunition (for instance, if you wish to fire a dragon slaying bolt from it). If you do, the bolt launcher does not create ammunition for the next attack you make with it, but fires the loaded bolt instead.

When you make an attack with a legendary bolt launcher, you can choose for the created ammunition to be a normal bolt, or a bolt made from a special material, such as adamantine, byshek, or mithral. If you do, the bolt has all the properties of that special material.

Bolts fired from a bolt launcher disappear after they hit or miss their target. The magical propulsion of a bolt fired from a bolt launcher is roughly as loud as its mundane counterpart.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Re: 5e Magic Item - Bolt Launcher

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks for making this.

It looks like it would also work for 3rd Edition or 4th Edition to me (unless I am missing something).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby AvonRekaes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

I would imagine so! The wording on "ignore the loading and ammunition property" would likely need fixing to match whatever edition you're using and it's rules for ammunition-firing slow-loading weapons.

As a 3.5 weapon property I'd say it's a +1 equivalent bonus for the normal version, and probably +3 or +4 for the "creates special material ammunition" version.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby NelsonNelsor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 pm

If you can find a issue of Mark Oakley's Thieves & Kings with the Lamp Knights (a.k.a. Iron Guard) in it, they use a gun-like bolt launcher similar to what your describing.
NelsonNelsor
Orc

Return to Eberron