Dragonmark Posts from Keith Baker

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Dragonmark Posts from Keith Baker

Postby HellcowKeith » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 am

Just in case people here don't regularly check my website, I figure I'll post a list of my most recent Dragonmark articles here.

The Blood of Vol primarily focuses on this religion, but also deals with Erandis Vol and Karrnathi undead.

The Mourning and the Dread explores the Mourning and its overlap with the Dread, the primary threat in my RPG Phoenix: Dawn Command.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Re: Dragonmark Posts from Keith Baker

Postby ThePurple » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 am

HellcowKeith wrote:The Blood of Vol primarily focuses on this religion, but also deals with Erandis Vol and Karrnathi undead.

I recall having a discussion about undead either here or on GitP and I brought up one of my favorite theories about intelligent undead, which I *think* I borrowed from you somewhere (though I can't find it; not that you didn't say it since you've said a lot of stuff in a lot of different places).

The theory basically sets forth that, when an individual becomes undead, they stop growing or progressing as a person because they're no longer living; they're frozen in whatever developmental state they entered undeath in; e.g. Erandis Vol was turned into a lich when she was a teenager so, even 3500 years later she's still, psychologically speaking, a teenager. She might *know* a lot more than she used to because she has *learned* a vast number of things (including patience and caution) in the intervening millennia but all of that knowledge is basically still trapped within the mind of a teenage girl (with all of the commensurate insecurities, worldview, etc).

This ties in nicely with the Blood of Vol interpretation of intelligent undeath: the divine spark that all mortals have is the same thing that allows them to grow and develop (and potentially overcome their own mortality); if the intelligent undead lack that divine spark, they are no longer able to grow (though they are still able to learn) which dovetails nicely with their martyrdom.

Was that actually something you said or was it something I came up with myself and just ascribed to you because it sounds awesome and something akin to what I think you'd say?
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:08 pm

HellcowKeith wrote:Just in case people here don't regularly check my website, I figure I'll post a list of my most recent Dragonmark articles here.

We really aught to have an index of them or something. I'll have a think about it.

In some ways, it would kind of be good to have an individual discussion about the cool stuff in each individual Dragonmark article. :?

HellcowKeith wrote:The Blood of Vol primarily focuses on this religion, but also deals with Erandis Vol and Karrnathi undead.

The Mourning and the Dread explores the Mourning and its overlap with the Dread, the primary threat in my RPG Phoenix: Dawn Command.

Thanks for posting these...and thanks for coming over here to link to them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby HellcowKeith » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm

ThePurple wrote:Was that actually something you said or was it something I came up with myself and just ascribed to you because it sounds awesome and something akin to what I think you'd say?

I'm not sure I've said that specifically, but it's definitely related to things I've said - on page 2 of this thread I talk about the idea of fluid vs crystaline intelligence and the effect that might have on Erandis or undead in general.
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!
HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Return to Eberron