Happy 13th Birthday Eberron!

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Happy 13th Birthday Eberron!

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:08 pm

A gaming community in Peru arranged a celebration for the 13th Anniversary of Eberron, ending in a birthday party, with a giant Eberron book cake!

Keith Baker joined them via a video link and chatted to the fans and took their questions. You can read about it on his blog: Eberron turns Thirteen!

As Keith says over there, 13 is a special number for the campaign setting:
Keith Baker on keithbaker.com wrote:I first began working on Eberron in 2002, but the Eberron Campaign Setting was released in June of 2004. So the setting has just turned thirteen, and anyone who knows Eberron will know that thirteen is a number with special significance. There are thirteen planes, thirteen moons, thirteen dragonmarks… although all too often, one of these thirteen is destroyed or lost. While here in the United States we’re still waiting for Eberron to be unlocked for 5E, a gaming community in Peru organized a month-long Eberron celebration in honor of its 13th anniversary. The tome pictured above is a cake produced for that celebration, and it is one of the most fantastic things I’ve ever seen.

Go over to Keith's blog to see the awesome cake and the quesions the fans in Peru asked him.

13 is also know as a Baker's dozen, which has led to some fans speculating that this was a killer pun feature put into the campaign setting, by Keith Baker, but apparently, it's just a co-incidence.

What sort of thing would you like to see done for #Eberron13th?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Happy 13th Birthday Eberron!

Postby willpell » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:What sort of thing would you like to see done for #Eberron13th?

3.5 Edition rules reinstated, and cross-converted for the benefit of 5E players, so that old Eberron books are playable as-written. :mrgreen:

(I could just suggest that they publish Eberron for 5E, but I feel like it would lose a lot. Eberron is such a "kitchen sink" that I kind of don't want to see it converted to an edition as intentionally-streamlined as 5th.)
willpell
White Dragon

Postby ThePurple » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:14 pm

willpell wrote:
Big Mac wrote:What sort of thing would you like to see done for #Eberron13th?
(I could just suggest that they publish Eberron for 5E, but I feel like it would lose a lot. Eberron is such a "kitchen sink" that I kind of don't want to see it converted to an edition as intentionally-streamlined as 5th.)

Imo, Eberron was written such that the crunch wasn't as important as the fluff. Keith routinely points out that the LoB, as written, is not the LoB that he would throw at his players and, in fact, he would probably have multiple stat blocks for any many recurring villain as they gain power in their exchanges with the PCs. In that context, it doesn't really matter what edition you're playing in; the setting remains the same.

Personally, I can't stand 5e and fell in love with 4e as soon as it came out but I still find all of the 3.X stuff that I've got available to be extremely useful because the important stuff isn't the stat blocks: it's *everything else* that's important.

I would argue that, if you *need* previous edition stuff to be converted to the new edition to make the setting playable, you aren't using the setting properly.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby willpell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:39 pm

ThePurple wrote:Imo, Eberron was written such that the crunch wasn't as important as the fluff. Keith routinely points out that the LoB, as written, is not the LoB that he would throw at his players and, in fact, he would probably have multiple stat blocks for any many recurring villain as they gain power in their exchanges with the PCs. In that context, it doesn't really matter what edition you're playing in; the setting remains the same.

Incorrect. If your setting includes the Binder and Incarnate classes, then it's going to be very different whether it's in 3E, where it can play with the RAW of those classes, than if it's a 5E game using homebrew rules for these not-yet-converted subsystems, let alone if it drops them due to lack of rules support. Likewise, key aspects of Eberron include dragonmarks, the Artificer and Magewright classes, races including shifters and changelings, and the psionics of Sarlona, of which only the latter have been converted as of yet to my knowledge. If you need to use homebrew, or even web-published material, then your mechanics are likely to be improperly balanced and may produce highly unusual results, which contradict the assumptions of your setting (in much the way that Linear Fighters, Quadratic Wizards is true in virtually every rules edition, or at least all the ones I'm familiar with, despite contradicting the assumptions of nearly every setting).

For a more succinct and concrete stating of much the same idea, see the last three lines of this post: viewtopic.php?p=197953#p197953
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am

Maze Arcana seem to be doing OK running Eberron games using 5th Edition rules.

I was more thinking of something that could be done to celebrate Eberron's birthday. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Eberron