What is on this DDO forum map?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

What is on this DDO forum map?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:18 pm

I was searching for an Eberron map and found a map with an unusual looking continent at the eastern side:

I went to the page it was posted on. It was a DDO forum topic, called The Story of Eberron.

The post on the forum doesn't seem to suggest this is a homebrew version of Eberron. Is this some sort of extra continent that has been added to DDO or has Xenostrata, at the DDO forums accidentally picked up someone's homebrew map?

Looking a bit closer at the map, I see words on the parts of Eberron that I recognise, but no words on the bit I don't recognise, so I'm suspecting somone made a mashup map. The map is hosted on Flickr, but I'm not sure how to find the original Flickr page this comes from. Has anyone ever seen this map before? Does anyone know the person who created it?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What is on this DDO forum map?

Postby tetrasodium » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Just guessing, but a lot of the stuff you don't recognize is probably easier to explain than "new stuff". More likely it's just where they stick the outdoor portions of the various instanced quests & such Maybe someone managed to do a dump of the map data file to a jpg or something
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby ThePurple » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Big Mac wrote:I was searching for an Eberron map and found a map with an unusual looking continent at the eastern side:

Iirc, it's Faerun, from Forgotten Realms. At some point, DDO decided that they were bored with Eberron and branched out into other campaign settings, which is where the other non-Eberron-canon landmasses (like the collection of islands in the top-left) come from.

I'm not really sure why they put them on the world map rather than just using parallel worlds logic, but that's what they did.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby Morfie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:55 am

It originated as a Campaign mashup map called Tesar that somebody put up on the WotC community forums years ago (since defunct so all links are dead) and it was the most popular mashup I'd ever seen.
There were lots of variant types of this map including projections and a labelled campaign setting version. Later updated maps included Forgotten Realms 4E, Kalamar, and Pathfinder, and an updated version of Argonnessen.

The continent on the right contains parts of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Mystara, Wilderlands and many other sub-settings are dotted around including a homebrew.

Within the Eberron area there is Dragonlance areas to the right and Birthright is in the middle. Avatar (Airbender not Cameron) is down there too.

I didn't like the placement of Mystara (nor the bits chopped out) but it was pretty awesome as a whole. I believe it was also to scale.

In short: It's not just Eberron here.
Last edited by Morfie on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:11 am

The continent with the magma sea in the middle? That's Taladas.

Southwest of it, branching off the southern polar ice, is Ansalon. The bright crimson splotch is the Blood Sea of Istar.

The big brown splotch on the big eastern continent is the Dead Land on the Dark Sun map.

The northwestern section of the big eastern continent is Faerun, including Chult and the Shining South. The northeastern section is the Flanaess, including the Amedio Jungle, Hepmonaland, and the Sea of Dust.

Mystara's Known World is the southernmost part of the big eastern continent, including the Arm of the Immortals, the Savage Coast, the Serpent Peninsula, Sind, Hule, and the Thanegioth Archipelago.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:38 pm

tetrasodium wrote:Just guessing, but a lot of the stuff you don't recognize is probably easier to explain than "new stuff". More likely it's just where they stick the outdoor portions of the various instanced quests & such Maybe someone managed to do a dump of the map data file to a jpg or something

...and...

ThePurple wrote:Iirc, it's Faerun, from Forgotten Realms. At some point, DDO decided that they were bored with Eberron and branched out into other campaign settings, which is where the other non-Eberron-canon landmasses (like the collection of islands in the top-left) come from.

Great guesses. Not correct, but I would have expected someone to try to extract maps of the non-Eberron DDO stuff. I was wondering if this was that.

ThePurple wrote:I'm not really sure why they put them on the world map rather than just using parallel worlds logic, but that's what they did.

I don't get that. I bet it makes DDO into a bit of a legal mess. It's a shame because the return of Eberron would fit in well with a new wave of DDO content for Eberron.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Morfie wrote:It originated as a Campaign mashup map called Tesar that somebody put up on the WotC community forums years ago (since defunct so all links are dead) and it was the most popular mashup I'd ever seen.
There were lots of variant types of this map including projections and a labelled campaign setting version. Later updated maps included Forgotten Realms 4E, Kalamar, and Pathfinder, and an updated version of Argonnessen.

The continent on the right contains parts of Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Mystara, Wilderlands and many other sub-settings are dotted around including a homebrew.

Within the Eberron area there is Dragonlance areas to the right and Birthright is in the middle. Avatar (Airbender not Cameron) is down there too.

I didn't like the placement of Mystara (nor the bits chopped out) but it was pretty awesome as a whole. I believe it was also to scale.

In short: It's not just Eberron here.

Thanks.

The map was off of the Eberron website, so I'm assuming that Tesar has nothing to do with the DDO map.

There are so many interesting things from the WotC forums that got nuked. ;(
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:39 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:The continent with the magma sea in the middle? That's Taladas.

Of course it is!

ripvanwormer wrote:Southwest of it, branching off the southern polar ice, is Ansalon. The bright crimson splotch is the Blood Sea of Istar.

That's not so obvious to me. But I can see it now you point it out.

ripvanwormer wrote:The big brown splotch on the big eastern continent is the Dead Land on the Dark Sun map.

I don't think I would ever have recognised that.

ripvanwormer wrote:The northwestern section of the big eastern continent is Faerun, including Chult and the Shining South. The northeastern section is the Flanaess, including the Amedio Jungle, Hepmonaland, and the Sea of Dust.

I can sort of make it out now.

ripvanwormer wrote:Mystara's Known World is the southernmost part of the big eastern continent, including the Arm of the Immortals, the Savage Coast, the Serpent Peninsula, Sind, Hule, and the Thanegioth Archipelago.

I don't know that enough to have recognised it.

Thanks for pointing out all the bits.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:The big brown splotch on the big eastern continent is the Dead Land on the Dark Sun map.

I don't think I would ever have recognised that.

It's from the fan-created World Globe of Athas rather than an official Dark Sun map, but it's instantly recognizable if you're familiar with it.

Thanks for pointing out all the bits.

No problem. I'm sure there are other bits crammed in there that I don't recognize as easily.

The islands and desert immediately south of Faerun are part of Zakhara, now that I look. You can compare it to this map and pick out the Genie's Turban, the Desert's Virtues, and Suq Bay.

That area across the sea from Hepmonaland and southeast of the Amedio, on the sea's southern shore, is part of Kara-Tur. You can compare it to this map and pick out the southeastern coast from Hai Yuan to Malatra.

The southern part of the big island to the east of the Known World is part of the Wilderlands, I think, including Roolaras, Altania, and the Isle of the Blest. The northern half of the island is something else, perhaps part of Mystara's Isle of Dawn.

Cerilia, the main continent in the Birthright setting, is north of Argonessen.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby tetrasodium » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:54 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about this possibility, but there was this tweet a while back.
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:05 am

tetrasodium wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this possibility, but there was this tweet a while back.

Yes, there is a topic about Mike Mearls' plans for bring back the campaign worlds here as well.

As fun as it is to look at maps like the one Big Mac posted earlier, I really hope that isn't the way WotC are planning on dealing with that! :o

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby tetrasodium » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Havard wrote:
tetrasodium wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about this possibility, but there was this tweet a while back.

Yes, there is a topic about Mike Mearls' plans for bring back the campaign worlds here as well.

As fun as it is to look at maps like the one Big Mac posted earlier, I really hope that isn't the way WotC are planning on dealing with that! :o

-Havard

lol yea, the idea is a bit horrifying on some levels. On the one hand, the 5 nations & 12 houses would gleefully stomp all over mystara's chosen like the Spaniards did the Incas faster than one could say "no matter, some plucky band of first level adventuring nobodies will pull together in a tavern to take down & repel these invaders in a seroes of progressively more difficult yet nearly always level appropriate encounters taking down their just barely a challenge defenses till they go home to tell their children tales of their brutal defeat"... but on the other hand you have WotC's history & every expectation that it would turn into "eleminster & friends watch khorvaire backslide as the population realizes that Galifar and the last hundred years of war was a thousand years of pointless cultural advancement."
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby Tenebrus » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Some links to help folks out here.

First, my favorite friend for salvaging old WotC forum content(Thank goodness we have this), The wayback machine!

https://web.archive.org/web/20130523110 ... _one_world

That's the original thread that generated the map so far as I can tell.

Interestingly, this is not the first time we've seen this map on the Piazza:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3599

Which is how I knew where to look to get that Wayback link!
Now available Fun-Sized!
Tenebrus
Orc

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm

Tenebrus wrote:Interestingly, this is not the first time we've seen this map on the Piazza:

Ack! And I posted in that topic too! :oops:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Morfie » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tenebrus wrote:Interestingly, this is not the first time we've seen this map on the Piazza:

7 years ago today, how dare you forget! :P :D
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Tenebrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:

Yeah man, How dare you! I demand a duel. Satisfaction!
/loon

I've been looking over it, and this is pretty cool overall. Gives a phenomenal sense of scale for how small ansalon especially is.
Now available Fun-Sized!
Tenebrus
Orc

Return to Eberron