What creatures would you stick on a quick reference?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

What creatures would you stick on a quick reference?

Postby tetrasodium » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:53 pm

I;m running a 5e game set in Droaam & started putting together a quick reference thing of some common/potentially random encounter creatures. Since I'm using a refluffed LMoP to start out some of the newbies I have, I put Bugbear, Hobgoblin, Goblin, Cultist, Doppelganger, Skeleton, Zombie, Ghoul, Evil Mage, & Flameskull just to start out & see how the first page looked before making more. What creatures would you add to the list? I'm thinking:
Giant Spider, Wolf, rust monster, owlbear, ??? what other beasts might be good?
Scout,knight, mage noble, guard, druid, cleric type stuff from MM345-349ish
Orc, Troll, Ogre, Oni/Ogre Magi, Harpy, Gnoll, ???
were-wolf/bear/rat

Do you have any other go-to beasties that you'd add to the list?
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Re: What creatures would you stick on a quick reference?

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

For a Droam campaign?

It looks like you have a lot of ground covered already. But off the top of my head...

Intelligent "npc" monsters representing the "citizens" of Droaam: Medusa, Gnolls, Minotaurs, Goblins (but not Hobgoblins or Bugbears, because I don't think they have significant populations in Droaam), Harpies, Hags, Ogres, Orcs, Trolls, Werewolf/bear/tiger/rat. Driders (if you ignore their standard D&D lore of being cursed drow). I can see a possible Beholder or two, but not a large tribe of them. They're highly intelligent so I can imagine one making its way to the surface from Khyber for its own inscrutable reasons and trying to integrate into Droaam's monster society.

"beast" monsters that the above keep for pets or labor: basilisks, cocatrices, griffons, hippogriffs, gorgons, owlbears, wolves/bears/tigers/rats to run with the weres, otyughs, chimeras, death dogs, ettercaps, hydras, worgs.

Some of the "beast" monsters are as intelligent as the "npc" ones (I think otyughs and ettercaps) but I see them as living mostly ferally and not in large tribes that have come together under the Sisters.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Return to Eberron