[5e]I made a GM screen! now v2

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

[5e]I made a GM screen! now v2

Postby tetrasodium » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:29 am

GM screens are a great & amazing time saving tool... in theory... The problem is that unless you have a lot of rules like 3.5's flowchart needing grapple rules (google grapple flowchart if you don't believe it exists), you will probably either use it maybe once or twice on one extreme... and at the other end it will be too complicated to use.

To that regard, I made a GM screen with monster & NPC statblocks to help with quickly pulling together encounters that may or may not be planned upon. While there are a few Eberron specific creatures in it, they will work fine in any setting. If you want a page with specific creatures on it in a different arrangement (ie x y & z on a page together with P Z & Q), I can toss it together as easy as copy/paste out of the xls into a new pdf, so ask away.
Downloafd the pdf V1 & the condensed much improved v2 here
Last edited by tetrasodium on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
tetrasodium
Goblin

Re: I made a GM screen!

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 am

tetrasodium wrote:GM screens are a great & amazing time saving tool... in theory... The problem is that unless you have a lot of rules like 3.5's flowchart needing grapple rules (google grapple flowchart if you don't believe it exists), you will probably either use it maybe once or twice on one extreme... and at the other end it will be too complicated to use.

I think I might need a grapple flowchart!

I wonder if a lightning rail timetable and/or an airship timetable would be something worth having on a GM screen. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Looks nice!

Is this for 3.5?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby tetrasodium » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Havard wrote:Looks nice!

Is this for 3.5?

-Havard

%e :D

Big Mac wrote:
tetrasodium wrote:GM screens are a great & amazing time saving tool... in theory... The problem is that unless you have a lot of rules like 3.5's flowchart needing grapple rules (google grapple flowchart if you don't believe it exists), you will probably either use it maybe once or twice on one extreme... and at the other end it will be too complicated to use.

I think I might need a grapple flowchart!

I wonder if a lightning rail timetable and/or an airship timetable would be something worth having on a GM screen. :?

I dunno, got one? Maye if there are pages with unfillable space like the ones with the list of dragonmarks/houses I can squeeze it in? Also, do you use those often enough in your campaign to need it on a gm screen? I almost never use them for more than the occasional long distance travel from big city nearish to where things were happening before ->to big city kinda sorta near where the group needs to be. Even that is sometimes not so near due to damage in the line when it's more interesting :D
tetrasodium
Goblin

Postby ThePurple » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Big Mac wrote:I wonder if a lightning rail timetable and/or an airship timetable would be something worth having on a GM screen. :?

The "home" map for each of my roll20 campaigns is a map of Khorvaire with roads and rail lines, overlaid with a hex grid, with the time it takes for each form of transport to cover a single hex listed at the top (they're not really canon speeds, since I like my cross-country Lightning Rail to be more like a mag-lev bullet train than a steam engine since it's *already* got the mag-lev going for it), which makes travel times pretty easy to calculate.

The times for when trains/ships/etc are available I basically just leave up to narrative demand. Of course, I also basically do away with "pocket change" in my games so, once they hit a high enough level, the players are basically able to charter whatever mode of transport they might need, as the story demands (if the story demands "you're short on funds", I just fold that in with the rest of it and make it so that they're incapable of getting a privately chartered whatever without doing something special, like stealing it or selling something).
ThePurple
Orc

Postby tetrasodium » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:44 pm

ThePurple wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I wonder if a lightning rail timetable and/or an airship timetable would be something worth having on a GM screen. :?

The "home" map for each of my roll20 campaigns is a map of Khorvaire with roads and rail lines, overlaid with a hex grid, with the time it takes for each form of transport to cover a single hex listed at the top (they're not really canon speeds, since I like my cross-country Lightning Rail to be more like a mag-lev bullet train than a steam engine since it's *already* got the mag-lev going for it), which makes travel times pretty easy to calculate.

The times for when trains/ships/etc are available I basically just leave up to narrative demand. Of course, I also basically do away with "pocket change" in my games so, once they hit a high enough level, the players are basically able to charter whatever mode of transport they might need, as the story demands (if the story demands "you're short on funds", I just fold that in with the rest of it and make it so that they're incapable of getting a privately chartered whatever without doing something special, like stealing it or selling something).

I do the same. Getting from point A to point Q takes as long as I want it to. If I have interesting stuff to cram into one or more legs of the journey, it takes about that long. If I lack interesting stuff to throw in, it takes as long as I need to to. A trip from Graywall to Somewhere in Karnath might involve travel to graywall ->catch a house Orien coach to breland -> lightning rail to zilargo->Darguun->Breland ->Aundair ->Thrane ->Karnath ->coach/walk/ride to end point... or it might just be greywall ->Breland ->Mournland -> Point Q in Karnath as fits the story best. All manner of reasons could cause lightning rail routes to become unusable or require waiting for a different lightning rail.
tetrasodium
Goblin

Return to Eberron