5e Magic Item - Dictograph

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

5e Magic Item - Dictograph

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 pm

This was just a fun little magic item I came up with to add some color to a roleplay encounter with a House Sivis notary. I think it's too useful for players and npcs to require a Mark of Scribing to use it, so it's not a dragonshard focus item. But I definitely think House Sivis controls the production of it, so it requires the Mark of Scribing to create it.

DICTOGRAPH
Wondrous item, uncommon

This exceptionally crafted quill has a crystal nib cut from a single Siberys dragonshard. The quill can be activated as an action, and it can be activated in two ways. By twisting the nib clockwise until it clicks once, the quill's first mode is activated. In this mode, the holder of the quill can dictate up to 10 minutes of speech, which the quill will remember. By turning the nib until it clicks once more, the quill becomes inactive.
From its inactive state, twisting the nib clockwise until it clicks twice, the quill's second mode activates. While the second mode is active, the quill can be placed upon any blank page, either loose leaf or bound. Once placed, the quill will remain upright and will produce its own ink with which to write. It will transcribe the last speech recorded in its first active phase. The quill will automatically turn to a blank page if it requires more room when transcribing to a bound page. If transcribing onto loose leaf, or if it runs out of blank pages in a bound tome, it will pause until a new blank page is placed beneath it. The quill will continue filling up pages, roughly one page per two minutes of speech, until it has finished transcribing the remembered speech.
Once the quill has finished transcribing, it will automatically twist the nib clockwise until it clicks once, deactivating itself. A remembered speech remains remembered until it is replaced with a new speech, allowing multiple copies of the same speech to be transcribed. From an inactive state, twisting the nib counter-clockwise until it clicks once will erase any remembered speech.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Re: 5e Magic Item - Dictograph

Postby Big Mac » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 am

Very nice. I think it would work for 4e and 3e fans too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 5e Magic Item - Dictograph

Postby AvonRekaes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Indeed.

For 3.5, I would give it the following statistics:

Aura faint transmutation; CL 1st; Price 500 gp; Weight —
Construction: Craft Wondrous Item, amanuensis (Spell Compendium pg 9), caster level 1st; Cost 250 gp.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Return to Eberron