5e Magic Item - Keoghtom's Hand (Dragonshard Focus Item)

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

5e Magic Item - Keoghtom's Hand (Dragonshard Focus Item)

Postby AvonRekaes » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm

Huh. I made this ages ago for my game's Jorasco healer, but I apparently never stated it up. It's meant to work with the Dragonmarked rules I use for my campaign here.

KEOGHTOM'S HAND
Dragonshard focus item (requires attunement by a bearer of the least, lesser, or greater Mark of Healing), uncommon, rare, very rare

This device was named after the famed alchemist and artificer, Keoghtom d'Jorasco. It is a loose apparatus of gold bracelets and rings held together with a web of fine mithral links. Suspended in this web are one or more Siberys dragonshards, depending on the Hand's rarity.
An uncommon Hand has one large, flat, emerald-cut Siberys dragonshard suspended against the wearer's palm. When the wearer casts Cure Wounds from their dragonmark, the Hand can be activated as part of the casting to cause the spell to heal the maximum amount possible.
A rare Hand has two additional Siberys dragonshards suspended against the back of the wearer's hand. The wearer of a rare Keoghtom's Hand can innately cast Cure Wounds from their dragonmark two additional times a day.
A very rare Hand has a total of six Siberys dragonshards, the main one held against the palm, and an array of five held against the back of the hand. When the wearer of a very rare Keoghtom's Hand innately casts Cure Wounds from their dragonmark, the spell is cast at 4th level (the Hand still maximizes the amount of healing from the spell).
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Re: 5e Magic Item - Keoghtom's Hand (Dragonshard Focus Item)

Postby tetrasodium » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:29 am

AvonRekaes wrote:Huh. I made this ages ago for my game's Jorasco healer, but I apparently never stated it up. It's meant to work with the Dragonmarked rules I use for my campaign here.

KEOGHTOM'S HAND
Dragonshard focus item (requires attunement by a bearer of the least, lesser, or greater Mark of Healing), uncommon, rare, very rare

This device was named after the famed alchemist and artificer, Keoghtom d'Jorasco. It is a loose apparatus of gold bracelets and rings held together with a web of fine mithral links. Suspended in this web are one or more Siberys dragonshards, depending on the Hand's rarity.
An uncommon Hand has one large, flat, emerald-cut Siberys dragonshard suspended against the wearer's palm. When the wearer casts Cure Wounds from their dragonmark, the Hand can be activated as part of the casting to cause the spell to heal the maximum amount possible.
A rare Hand has two additional Siberys dragonshards suspended against the back of the wearer's hand. The wearer of a rare Keoghtom's Hand can innately cast Cure Wounds from their dragonmark two additional times a day.
A very rare Hand has a total of six Siberys dragonshards, the main one held against the palm, and an array of five held against the back of the hand. When the wearer of a very rare Keoghtom's Hand innately casts Cure Wounds from their dragonmark, the spell is cast at 4th level (the Hand still maximizes the amount of healing from the spell).

I really like this & it's great to see other dragonmark focus items, they feel like an area where the text always talked about how powerful they were & all but never really gave examples to take them from theoretical to "oh wow... I seeeee..... damn, we need some dragonmarked heirs in the group"
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks!

Yeah I agree. Dragonmarks on their own offer some very limited spells but not really enough to replace a full spellcaster focused on the same thing.

My main purpose with this item was to make the Mark of Healing somewhat able to keep up with a group of adventurers. It's still not as good as a cleric or bard, but at max rarity, 3/day maximized 4th level Cure Wounds (32 + spellcasting modifier) is a pretty significant amount of healing even for high level parties. It also allows a cleric or bard with the mark to use their spell slots for things other than healing.
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby ThePurple » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:49 pm

tetrasodium wrote:I really like this & it's great to see other dragonmark focus items, they feel like an area where the text always talked about how powerful they were & all but never really gave examples to take them from theoretical to "oh wow... I seeeee..... damn, we need some dragonmarked heirs in the group"

Well, I've always interpreted the whole "dragonmarked focus items and dragonmarks are powerful" within the sense of what the average person will experience and the actual sphere of influence of the dragonmarked houses: the economy. The dragonmarked houses are economic powerhouses, not military ones. They're powerful because they can mass-produce low level effects on a scale that actually effects the economy (no, I'm not misusing that either; the dragonmarked houses explicitly dictate the economy in Eberron so the verb form of effect is grammatically appropriate). No group of PCs should be able to do that because there aren't enough bodies (and, if they are able to manage it, they'd probably have more fun playing some kind of economy simulator rather than D&D).

To me, dragonmarks provide a way to give a little bit of magic to everyone. They don't really affect PCs all that much because PCs are already used to having an insanely high amount of magic around them all the time. Dragonmark focus items make those dragonmarks more powerful and efficient, but it's still just a drop in the bucket compared to what PCs are used to.

The other important thing to note is that a *vast* majority of dragonmark focus items are going to be completely unrelated to what PCs do (since they're about improving the Houses' economic clout) and, as such, don't really need to be included in magic item lists for adventurers. A vast majority of the workings of the dragonmarked houses have nothing to do with adventuring (at best, they might be *tangentially* related to adventuring). House Cannith foci reduce the time and materials it takes to make something (or are required for making mithril and adamantine), which is extremely useful to House Cannith but doesn't really do *anything* for a PC.

Of course, the ones that would be *really* interesting to adventurers are dragonmarked focus items for individuals with Aberrant Dragonmarks. Aberrant Dragonmarks are *explicitly* destructive. The ability to power up your one/day fireball to do even more damage or throw it out even more often would see a lot of use in the hands of a PC since combat is something that happens to them on a regular basis. By that same token, Aberrant Dragonmarks tend by their very nature to be erratic and non-standard. In my game, Aberrant foci basically have to be made for a specific individual (they use similar materials, so some bearers of Aberrant marks will try to get other Aberrant foci in order to cannibalize them for materials, but they're not really going to be able to use them unless their Aberrant effects are *extremely similar* and, even then, you'd get better results out of one made specifically for you).

In short, I see Dragonmarked Foci as being powerful background magic that adventurer's don't really use but are prevalent throughout the background of the setting.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:40 pm

While I agree with most of what you say, I would temper it with the realities of the game mechanics. Dragonmarks are a mechanical option for PCs, and they should be attractive in a mechanical sense.

So while, yes, most dragonshard focus items aren't really made for adventurers, I think making a few that absolutely are is fun and rewarding for a Dragonmarked PC. Especially useful marks like Healing and Sentinel probably have many focus items that are made for combat or emergency situations.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby tetrasodium » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:55 am

ThePurple wrote:
tetrasodium wrote:I really like this & it's great to see other dragonmark focus items, they feel like an area where the text always talked about how powerful they were & all but never really gave examples to take them from theoretical to "oh wow... I seeeee..... damn, we need some dragonmarked heirs in the group"

Well, I've always interpreted the whole "dragonmarked focus items and dragonmarks are powerful" within the sense of what the average person will experience and the actual sphere of influence of the dragonmarked houses: the economy. The dragonmarked houses are economic powerhouses, not military ones. They're powerful because they can mass-produce low level effects on a scale that actually effects the economy (no, I'm not misusing that either; the dragonmarked houses explicitly dictate the economy in Eberron so the verb form of effect is grammatically appropriate). No group of PCs should be able to do that because there aren't enough bodies (and, if they are able to manage it, they'd probably have more fun playing some kind of economy simulator rather than D&D).

To me, dragonmarks provide a way to give a little bit of magic to everyone. They don't really affect PCs all that much because PCs are already used to having an insanely high amount of magic around them all the time. Dragonmark focus items make those dragonmarks more powerful and efficient, but it's still just a drop in the bucket compared to what PCs are used to.

The other important thing to note is that a *vast* majority of dragonmark focus items are going to be completely unrelated to what PCs do (since they're about improving the Houses' economic clout) and, as such, don't really need to be included in magic item lists for adventurers. A vast majority of the workings of the dragonmarked houses have nothing to do with adventuring (at best, they might be *tangentially* related to adventuring). House Cannith foci reduce the time and materials it takes to make something (or are required for making mithril and adamantine), which is extremely useful to House Cannith but doesn't really do *anything* for a PC.

Of course, the ones that would be *really* interesting to adventurers are dragonmarked focus items for individuals with Aberrant Dragonmarks. Aberrant Dragonmarks are *explicitly* destructive. The ability to power up your one/day fireball to do even more damage or throw it out even more often would see a lot of use in the hands of a PC since combat is something that happens to them on a regular basis. By that same token, Aberrant Dragonmarks tend by their very nature to be erratic and non-standard. In my game, Aberrant foci basically have to be made for a specific individual (they use similar materials, so some bearers of Aberrant marks will try to get other Aberrant foci in order to cannibalize them for materials, but they're not really going to be able to use them unless their Aberrant effects are *extremely similar* and, even then, you'd get better results out of one made specifically for you).

In short, I see Dragonmarked Foci as being powerful background magic that adventurer's don't really use but are prevalent throughout the background of the setting.

You are right about the mechanics & npc heirs definitely have their own spiffy role useful tools; but the dragonmarks are options for players to take as feats & as is they are basically unquestionably worse than any other option without adding in focus devices.

It's tough to compare given only one datapoint, but I tend to take a different tact with what the focus devices do. Here are a couple of mine:
  • Shadow Network ring(Dragonmark focus item, requires attunement): This ring is relatively nondescript and forgettable in appearance, but the wearer can change it‘s appearance during a long rest as expected situations will require. Once per long rest, the bearer of a mark of shadow can make use of the Illusory Reality(PHB118) while attuned & wearing this ring
  • Binder's Glove (Dragonmark focus item, attunement required): A Lyrander Heir may use this may spend one hour binding a minor elemental, such as a Mephit, to as many as three weapons The effect lasts for one day& grants the weapon an additional 1d4+1 damage of that elemental type (subject to approval based on possible availability at time of activation, fire elementals are likely difficult to call forth underwater). Any roll of a 1 on a d20 involving an attack with that weapon may result in the elemental being freed. GM decides how the elemental reacts to its temporary imprisonment & enslavement.
  • Speaker's Torc (dragonmark Focus item, requires atttunement): An ornate gold torc set with a Siberyis Dragonshard that rests against the bearer's throat. This allow a Sivis heir to raise their voice to such deafening levels that they can cast Thunderwave (PHB283) once per short or long rest.
  • Bounty Hunter's Bracers (dragonmark Focus item, requires atttunement): An exquisite set of bracers each set with a Siberyis Dragonshard. These allow a Tharashk heir to cast Compelled Duel & Searing Smite once per short or long rest.
  • Amulet of Sight (Dragonmark focus item, requires attunement): The amulet is a smooth adamantine disk with a Siberyis dragonshard mounted in the center. Once attuned, a Thrashk heir gains the benefit of Devil's sight (PHB110) & allows them to cast detect magic once per long or short rest while it is worn
  • Jorasco Healer's Chain (Dragonmark Focus Item, requires attunement): This ornate weave of silver chains has Siberyis Dragonshards worked into each end. While worn draped over the shoulders of a Jorasco Heir, a Jorasco Heir gains the benefit of Blessed Healer (PHB60) & can be activated once per long rest to cast Greater Restoration (PHB246)

Some of them like the Sivis & Tharashk ones open up new & interesting options that fit with the mark. While others like the jorasco chain & shadow network ring means that an heir can specialize into other areas (like an arcane cleric in one of my games) & leverage their mark to drastically improve their relevant abilities
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby tetrasodium » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:57 am

AvonRekaes wrote:While I agree with most of what you say, I would temper it with the realities of the game mechanics. Dragonmarks are a mechanical option for PCs, and they should be attractive in a mechanical sense.

So while, yes, most dragonshard focus items aren't really made for adventurers, I think making a few that absolutely are is fun and rewarding for a Dragonmarked PC. Especially useful marks like Healing and Sentinel probably have many focus items that are made for combat or emergency situations.

I agree & am kinda curious if you have some you've made for other marks since we each seem to have taken different approaches that don't look like they would be in conflict
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Postby ThePurple » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:09 am

tetrasodium wrote:Binder's Glove (Dragonmark focus item, attunement required): A Lyrander Heir may use this may spend one hour binding a minor elemental, such as a Mephit, to as many as three weapons The effect lasts for one day& grants the weapon an additional 1d4+1 damage of that elemental type (subject to approval based on possible availability at time of activation, fire elementals are likely difficult to call forth underwater). Any roll of a 1 on a d20 involving an attack with that weapon may result in the elemental being freed. GM decides how the elemental reacts to its temporary imprisonment & enslavement.

This doesn't make any sense. House Lyrandar doesn't actually do *any* of the elemental binding. That's a secret of the gnomes of Zilargo. An *extremely closely guarded secret* (that they stole from Xen'drik, but still) that they keep to themselves. It's a major plot point that Merrix d'Cannith of Cannith South spends a significant amount of resources attempting to steal the secret of elemental binding from the gnomes so that Cannith can stop having to use the gnomes for it. The secret of Elemental Binding is analogous to the secret of what makes Valenar riding horses *so friggin' awesome*: the Dragonmarked Houses *desperately want to know*, but they don't.
ThePurple
Hobgoblin

Postby AvonRekaes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm

tetrasodium wrote: I agree & am kinda curious if you have some you've made for other marks since we each seem to have taken different approaches that don't look like they would be in conflict

I don't have any yet, because I haven't had a player interested in playing a PC with any other Dragonmarks. I suppose that can be a chicken & egg problem.

I could also make some dragonshard focus items that are broadly applicable to all dragonmarks, like there were in 3.5. Something like the dragonshard cane from Races of Eberron that increase the number of times per day you can activate Least, Lesser, or Greater mark.

I like your items (except the Binder's Glove because of the reasons Purple went into), especially the ones that allow the use of different spells, like the Greater Restoration from the Healer's Chain.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby tetrasodium » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:23 pm

AvonRekaes wrote:
tetrasodium wrote: I agree & am kinda curious if you have some you've made for other marks since we each seem to have taken different approaches that don't look like they would be in conflict

I don't have any yet, because I haven't had a player interested in playing a PC with any other Dragonmarks. I suppose that can be a chicken & egg problem.

I could also make some dragonshard focus items that are broadly applicable to all dragonmarks, like there were in 3.5. Something like the dragonshard cane from Races of Eberron that increase the number of times per day you can activate Least, Lesser, or Greater mark.

I like your items (except the Binder's Chain because of the reasons Purple went into), especially the ones that allow the use of different spells, like the Greater Restoration from the Healer's Chain.

Ahh, I made mine because of the chicken & egg thing. whenever I'd bring them up people would say "oh yea?" and might ashow interest until seeing how poor they were in general so I made a bunch
tetrasodium
Hobgoblin

Return to Eberron