Extreme Explorer?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.

Moderator: Chimpman

Extreme Explorer?

Postby HawkDiesel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 am

So I was thinking, how would someone convert the Extreme Explorer into 5e? It seems like another one of the aspects of Eberron that was pretty synonymous with the setting, though not as iconic as the warforged or artificer. My initial thought would be to make it a bard college, something like the College of Exploration. And I thought that the archetype would use bardic inspiration in a manner similar to action points in 3.5. But as I looked at the other bardic colleges, it seemed it would be difficult to do so without stepping on the toes of other bardic college abilities like Cutting Words and Peerless skill. The other possibility is to make it a rogue archetype, but I'm not sure how to execute that. Perhaps you could give the rogue something like a cross between bardic inspiration and the wild magic sorcerer's bend luck ability. I'm still pondering this. What are other people's thoughts? Anyone attempt this or make a go at it before?
HawkDiesel
Orc

Re: Extreme Explorer?

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:08 am

Honestly? I wouldn't convert it at all. The Extreme Explorer isn't particularly unique. It's a handful of relatively mundane abilities. Trap Sense, Dodge Bonus, and Evasion can be pretty closely matched with the Dungeon Delver feat. Extreme Hustle... is pretty much the Rogue's cunning action. The action point abilities could be reworked for Inspiration, but I don't know it's necessary.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby HawkDiesel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:23 am

Perhaps the mechanics of the prestige class aren't worth converting, but I feel the flavor is certainly worth considering. The adrenaline junky that always seems to land on his feet and escape complete failure not by skill necessarily, but dumb luck. Especially in a game that doesn't use feats, having some kind of luck point pool or something would be an interesting enough mechanic to work an archetype around. The only question is, how do you do it in a way that is balanced.
HawkDiesel
Orc

Postby enderxenocide0 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

HawkDiesel wrote:Perhaps the mechanics of the prestige class aren't worth converting, but I feel the flavor is certainly worth considering. The adrenaline junky that always seems to land on his feet and escape complete failure not by skill necessarily, but dumb luck.

If you're just looking for flavor, I'd suggest a Background whose feature drives the story by coincidence and improbability. No mechanical benefit to it, but it would cover the flavor. You could, perhaps, have a very small mechanical feature here, tied to the Background. Any time the player uses his Inspiration and rolls a 20 on one of the dice, his Inspiration remains.

HawkDiesel wrote:Especially in a game that doesn't use feats, having some kind of luck point pool or something would be an interesting enough mechanic to work an archetype around. The only question is, how do you do it in a way that is balanced.

Steal from pre-existing mechanics. Use the Luck feat's wording, the Diviner's Portent ability, the Bend Luck feature of the Wild Magic Sorcerer, things like that.
enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Postby AvonRekaes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 pm

I think 3.5's old 5-level mini-Prestige Classes would make a good minefield for feats in 5e. They're compact enough that you could probably distill their essence into 2-4 bullet points for a feat, and the theme is built-in
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.
AvonRekaes
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm

The Extreme Explorer is also on the WotC website, if anyone who does not have the 3e Eberron Campaign Setting hardback.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Eberron