Adventure Modules involving Droaam?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Adventure Modules involving Droaam?

Post by HawkDiesel » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:48 am

So my players are going to Droaam to seek Mordain Fleshweaver. Most of the campaign has been my own, with the beginning adapted from Sunless Citadel. But I wanna try and I feel like I'm burning out a bit and want to either use an Eberron module that takes place in Droaam, or one that can easily be adapted for use in Droaam. Any suggestions?

Beoric
Ogre

Re: Adventure Modules involving Droaam?

Post by Beoric » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:15 am

First of all, if you are burning out on Droaam themed adventures, don't forget that Droaam has Dhakaani and potentially Daelkyr ruins, so you could use a megadungeon.

Second, if I am going to suggest modules I need to know what level the characters are - and edition, since power level can vary among editions. My first thought would be placing the Caves of Chaos from Keep on the Borderlands near the Brelish border, but that is pretty low level.

Hmm, the Slaver series (A1-A4) might also work.

You could use Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and replace the giants with ogres or trolls.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Sorry, let me clarify. I'm not burning out on Droaam, just on creating all the material. The players are actually currently in Korth, specifically the Tower of the Twelve. But next leg is Droaam. It's 5e and they are level 7, but I am less concerned with encounters and more about ideas on how to structure potential challenges. Especially non-combat challenges.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:27 pm

I think I know what you are getting at. In my opinion, as a general rule non-combat challenges should not be structured. Predesigned structures tend to feel stilted and lock the PCs into a fixed set of solutions, even if you don't mean to. Instead, I would pay attention to setting up an interesting situation with plenty of proverbial buttons to push. Then let your players react to the situation as they wish, and adjudicate the results using your best judgment instead of a predetermined mechanism. You know the skill system, you know what are hard and easy DCs, you can trust yourself to wing it.

I will give you an example of setting up a situation instead of structuring a challenge. Say the PCs need to climb a cliff. Usually that amounts to a single skill check which isn't very interesting. But lets make it a bit more interesting. First, let's say that in addition to the standard cliff, a little bit away around the corner is a cliff that's easier to climb because it is not entirely vertical and there are small trees growing out of the side of it. But if the party looks closely they might notice that there are stirges nesting in the trees.

Walk a bit in the other direction, and there is an area where the rock face is flaking off, and there are fewer safe handholds. However, there appears to be a cave halfway up the cliff face, and something can be seen glinting in it. This part of the cliff looks harder (and may be harder than they think if they don't realize the flaking stone means spikes might not hold), but there is something to temp them to try it anyway.

They need to get on with it, because if they have been paying attention they notice displacer beast spoor near the bottom of the cliff and realize this is in their hunting grounds. You should set a random chance for the displacer beasts to show up, and roll a check whenever you think of it.

The players now have three different choices, with different levels of risk and reward for each, How they tackle the cliff is up to them. Which route do they choose? Do they pound spikes into the cliff face to secure lifelines? If so, the noise of doing so might attract the stirges. Do they all climb at once, or does the best climber go first and send a rope down? Do they have enough rope to do this? If not, do they trust vines harvested from the jungle? If some stay behind, do they risk facing the displacer beasts on their own?

Maybe they think to go up one of the easier parts to the top, and then lower themselves to the cave on a rope. Maybe they don't. The point is, you don't need to structure the challenge, you just need to set up the situation.

Its the same thing with social challenges. Any time you want the PCs to interact with a person in any significant way, you should know the NPC's basic personality, what the NPC wants, what the PCs want, what the NPC can do for the PCs, why the NPC does not want to do that thing, and what the PCs can do to persuade him. Then just take on the role of the NPC and make the choices he would make, and only ask for a skill check if you (or the NPC) are not sure whether he would be successfully persuaded/intimidated/bribed based on what the PCs are saying.

Is that where you were going, or am I totally off base?

(BTW, the Slaver series would totally work at that level. You are investigating the activities of orc and goblinoid slavers who have been conducting raids in Breland and track them back to some unsavoury town and a burned out ruin.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 pm

The Droaam article at Eberron Wiki might help you.

The Queen of Stone was set in Droaam, according to that article. You could raid plot elements from that.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:24 am

@Beoric Thanks. I tend to use that style of play, but its good to be reminded to do that every now and again. And @Big Mac, those are good suggestions. I've actually read The Queen of Stone and it was really good. I've been thinking about doing that, but it has been a long time since I read it.

I have found a module from Eberron: Mark of Heroes called The Greywall Incident. It was really hard to find, but it seems like it has some good elements that I will adapt. The PCs are going to be teleporting into Droaam from the Tower of the Twelve, and so a teleporting mishap landing them in the home and very room of a high-ranking official in Greywall directly after his murder seems like a good way to go. It will get the attention of Xor'chylic, and really create some great tension.

HellcowKeith
Gnoll

Post by HellcowKeith » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:30 pm

These two articles might help, as long as access to them isn't restricted:

http://www.wizards.com/files/364_Expedi ... spatch.pdf

http://www.wizards.com/files/365_ED_Dolurrhs.pdf
Keith Baker, designer of Eberron and Gloom
Check out http://keith-baker.com/ for updates on my current project and Eberron Q&As!

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Whoa, an assist from the man himself! Thanks, Keith, I'll check those articles out. No problem with accessing them. ^_^

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Its a shame "Backdrop: Graywall" isn't still available on the net, its pretty good too.

Return to “Eberron”