A new attempt at Eberron Races

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

A new attempt at Eberron Races

Post by HawkDiesel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 am

So I'm not happy with the ones presented in Unearthed Arcana, and there is nothing for the Kalashtar. So I thought I'd put out my attempt to bring these awesome races to life.

Changeling Traits
All changelings share the following traits.

Ability Score Increase.
Your Charisma score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Size. Changelings are about the same size and build as humans. Your size is Medium in your natural form.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and two other languages of your choice.
Duplicity. You gain proficiency in the Deception skill.
Slippery Mind. You gain advantage on saving throws against being charmed, as well as any magical effects that attempts to read your thoughts.
Shapechanger. As a bonus action, you can transform your appearance. You decide what you look like, including your height, weight, facial features, sound of your voice, hair length, coloration, and distinguishing characteristics, if any. You can make yourself appear as a member of another race, though none of your statistics change. You also can’t appear as a creature of a different size than you, and your basic shape stays the same; if you're bipedal, you can’t use this spell to become quadrupedal, for instance. At any time, you can use your bonus action to change your appearance in this way again.
Your shapeshifting abilities improve as you gain level.

At level 3 you gain the ability to use your Shapechanger ability to grow claws, fangs, spines, horns, or a different natural weapon of your choice. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you chose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes.

At level 5 you gain the ability to adapt to your surroundings. You can use your Shapechanger ability to form gills to breathe underwater, fins to give you a swim speed equal to your movement speed, claws to give you a climb speed equal to your movement speed, or a glider membrane that grants you resistance to falling damage.

Reasoning: With Shapechanger, I went with a mix between the Tiefling's Infernal Legacy and the Alter Self spell. By that I mean I gave the Changeling access to the spell at will, but broke it down into its component parts. Then I give access to those components at different levels, indicating heightened control over their shapeshifting abilities. The abilities are slightly different from alter self, but I think appropriate.

Kalashtar Traits
All kalashtar share the following traits.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Size. Kalashtar are about the same size and build as humans. Your size is Medium.
Silent Speech. You can speak telepathically to any creature within 30 feet of you. The creature understands you only if the two of you share a language. You can speak telepathically in this way to one creature at a time.
Psychic Talent. You have latent psychic talent. You can choose a cantrip from the following list: Friends, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Psychic Blade, or Vicious Mockery. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for the cantrip you choose.
Dual Soul. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and frightened. You also gain resistance to psychic damage.

Psychic Blade
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous

You channel your will into a weapon that can attack a person’s mind. Make a melee spell attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 psychic damage. After you make the attack, the weapon fades from existence.

The spell’s damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

Reasoning: Since there is little psionic support in 5e, I picked out the most psionic-like cantrips I could find. I also created Psychic Blade because you gotta have Kalashtar Soul Knives. I based the cantrip on Primal Savagery in XGtE, but dropped the damage die one because of the relative power of psychic damage compared to acid. I also thought the Ghostwise Halfling ability to use telepathy appropriate.

Shifter Traits
Your shifter character has a number of traits in common with other members of this race.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
Size. Shifters are about the same size and build as humans. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.
Darkvision. Thanks to your heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Wildling. You have proficiency on survival checks.
Keen Smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.
Shifting. On your turn, you can shift as a bonus action. Shifting lasts for 1 minute or until you end it on your turn as a bonus action. While shifting, you gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Constitution bonus (minimum of 1). You also gain a feature that depends on your shifter subrace, described below. You can use this ability twice, afterwards you must finish a short or long rest before you can shift again.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Sylvan.
Subraces. Choose one of the following subraces for your character.

Beasthide
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Shifting Feature. While shifting, you gain the following features.
• You gain a +1 bonus to AC.
• You gain advantage on checks and saves against being pushed, pulled, or knocked prone.

Cliffwalk
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
• You gain a climb speed equal to your walking speed.
• You have resistance to damage sustained from falls.
• Your jump distance is tripled.

Longstride
• You can use the Dash action as a bonus action.
• You ignore difficult terrain.
• You gain +2 to AC against opportunity attacks

Longtooth
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
• You can make a bite attack as an action. This is a melee weapon attack that uses Strength for its attack roll and damage bonus and deals 1d6 piercing damage. If this attack hits a target that is your size or smaller, the target is also grappled.

Razorclaw
• While shifting, you can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action. You can use your Dexterity for its attack roll and damage bonus, and this attack deals 1d4 slashing damage.

Reasoning: I just thought shifters needed to be a bit beefier and more oomf. Hoping I didn't go too far with it.

Warforged Traits
Your warforged character has a number of traits in common with other members of this race.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Living Construct. You are resistant to poison damage and advantage on saving throws against poison. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish.
Unsleeping Sentinel. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Integrated Armor. When you are not wearing any armor, your armor class is 10 + Proficiency Bonus + Constitution Modifier.
Artificial Anatomy. You only receive half the normal hit points from healing spells or healing potions. Medical kits have no effect on you.
Self-Stabilizing. A Warforged that is reduced to 0 or fewer HP has advantage on death saving throws.
Languages. Common and one other language of your choice.
Station. Warforged were all built for a specific purpose that can be simply broken down into two categories: Soldier and Scout. Choose one of these stations for your character.

Soldier
The most common type of warforged, you are built tougher and larger your Scout brethren.
Size. Warforged Soldiers are typically between 6 and 7 feet tall and weigh up to 600 lbs. Your size is medium.
Athletic. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Scout
Unlike soldiers, you were made to be swift, nimble, and silent.
Size. Warforged Scouts are typically between 2 and a half to 3 feet tall and weigh up to 60 lbs. Your size is small.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Stealthy. You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Re: A new attempt at Eberron Races

Post by AvonRekaes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Awesome work! I like your take on the Kalashtar, especially the psychic blade cantrip for soulknives (I love me some soulknives).

If you're thinking about running a full-on Eberron campaign in 5e, I humbly suggest checking out my website The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire.

It does have my own version of all the Eberron races, but I don't intend to imply you should use mine over yours, the site has a bunch of other useful things, like rules for Dragonmarks, warforged components, and some Eberron Backgrounds, and ideas on how to incorporate stuff from the books into Eberron with fluff and minor rules variations.
Avon Rekaes - Planes Wanderer
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks I'll check it out! Always nice to compare notes or mine for inspiration.

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Does any of you have Orcs as a playable race? Because I don't like Volo's take on Orcs very much.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:33 pm

I didn't make full-blooded Orc stats, but I probably should.

Any reason why you're dissatisfied with the Volo stats? Anything that would make them feel more Eberrony to you?
The Wayfinder Foundation of Khorvaire: 5th Edition and Pathfinder Eberron conversions.

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:18 pm

They tried to enforce theyr vision of orcs as savages and dimwitted; Orcs of Eberron should have Survival and Nature Profiency, no penality to Intelligence, and maybe have subraces too.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Personally, I think half-orcs are one of the weaker races to begin with. In my homebrew I allow the half-orc's savage attack to also add +1 damage to melee weapons and relentless endurance recharges on a short rest.

For a full blooded orc, I would switch out menacing in exchange for proficiency in survival. Half-orcs are more likely to be integrated into a human society than full orcs, and so they learn that intimidation as a survival skill in human society.

Also, I would likely trade relentless endurance for powerful build and the aggressive ability from Volo's Guide. Half-orcs get some measure of resilience from their human heritage, but aren't nearly as strong or quick.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:48 pm

That sounds like a good framework.

I might also want to include something about Orcs being passionate. It's something that separated the Orcs during the Dhakanni era from the goblins, according to Keith. Orcs are more ready to have passionate belief in the abstract than goblins were, so Vvaraak taught them druidism rather than the goblinoids. It's also why the Gash'khala silver-flame cult is mainly made up of Orcs, and why roughly half the tribes of the Shadow Marches are members of the Cults of the Dragon below.

How exactly that would come through in a mechanical sense, and not pigeon-hole them into divine classes, I'll have to think about. Whatever it is, it'll probably replace Aggressive entirely.

Perhaps I'll make that the split on possible subraces, with Aggressive going to the savage tribal orcs that mainly appear in the lowlands of the Mror Holds, and "Passionate" (or whatever) going to the cultish (for better or worse) orcs of western Khorvaire.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:45 pm

You could maybe represent that with a choice for proficiency in Nature, Religion, or Arcana, at least in part. Also, cultists in the MM get the following ability:

Dark Devotion. The fanatic has advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.

It could be one way to take it. But otherwise I'm not sure how a physically gifted race might demonstrate their devotion/passion or have it represented mechanically.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:58 pm

Perhaps something like...

Blind Passion. Orcs tend to throw their support behind a chosen cause based on gut instinct and pure faith. You have disadvantage on Intelligence checks to recall information using the Nature, Religion, and Arcana skills, but you have advantage on saving throws to resist being charmed or frightened.

tetrasodium
Gnoll

Post by tetrasodium » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:24 pm

I really like the way the races are presented here, but put me diwn as another who got to the end & was disappointed that orc wasn't there. The changeling being cha+2 dex+1 combined with all the various sorcerere/paladin/warlock options allows for a really broad & interesting array of options there.
AvonRekaes wrote:That sounds like a good framework.

I might also want to include something about Orcs being passionate. It's something that separated the Orcs during the Dhakanni era from the goblins, according to Keith. Orcs are more ready to have passionate belief in the abstract than goblins were, so Vvaraak taught them druidism rather than the goblinoids. It's also why the Gash'khala silver-flame cult is mainly made up of Orcs, and why roughly half the tribes of the Shadow Marches are members of the Cults of the Dragon below.

How exactly that would come through in a mechanical sense, and not pigeon-hole them into divine classes, I'll have to think about. Whatever it is, it'll probably replace Aggressive entirely.

Perhaps I'll make that the split on possible subraces, with Aggressive going to the savage tribal orcs that mainly appear in the lowlands of the Mror Holds, and "Passionate" (or whatever) going to the cultish (for better or worse) orcs of western Khorvaire.
I agree that the volo's orc is a pretty bad fit for anything but the berzerker (gashkaka?) types. Firbolg is a pretty good starting point for the less savage passionate types. It's +2 wis/+1 str +powerful build combined with Cleric & druid have a pretty wide array of options, but the powerful build means that if they use strength as a dump stat at only like 9+1=10, or something they can still carry things. Depending on GM, powerful build might even allow for different min-strength requirements on heavy armor allowing a brutish wis/con cleric/druid in heavy armor still charging in passionately like the strength one rather than limping in slowly. I'd change the hidden step to something else (maybe the orc aggressive thing)... alter firbolg magic since disguise self doesn't really fit, detect ,magic is ok with really feeling stuff though, maybe instead of disguise self heroism or detect evil & good. speech of beast & leaf is really badly fitting though & I dunno what I would replace it with maybe intimidate/athletics profficiency?

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 am

I finally got inspired about how to mechanically represent "passion". I decided, it was very similar to bardic inspiration!

Take a look at the Orc states on my website.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon May 21, 2018 3:38 am

It's an interesting mechanic, but the race still seems incredibly weak compared to other race options.

tetrasodium
Gnoll

Post by tetrasodium » Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 am

HawkDiesel wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:38 am
It's an interesting mechanic, but the race still seems incredibly weak compared to other race options.
Yea... maybe instead of 1/rest, take a page from tabaxi & include a simple way to refresh it like spending a bonus action or something?

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Mon May 21, 2018 5:57 pm

I can make it a d8. I was erring on the side of caution, but a 1/rest +4 bonus to any d20 roll would be pretty attractive. I can also throw in Menacing (Intimidation proficiency) or the Survival proficiency suggested by HawkDiseal as well. What do you think?

tetrasodium
Gnoll

Post by tetrasodium » Mon May 21, 2018 7:44 pm

AvonRekaes wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:57 pm
I can make it a d8. I was erring on the side of caution, but a 1/rest +4 bonus to any d20 roll would be pretty attractive. I can also throw in Menacing (Intimidation proficiency) or the Survival proficiency suggested by HawkDiseal as well. What do you think?
I think you might have err'd too far. Compare t to say, a halfling who gets +2 +1, make one reroll on any number of attack rolls, ability
checks, or saving throws that come up between rests, advantage against being frightened, move through squares of others (countered by size small &25' speed there though), two languages (common/halfling), either poison resistance & advantage on saves against poison or some not-insignificant benefits to trying to hide. The d4 is fine imo, it's the 1/rest part. Balance it out by keeping the hit to int if you feel it warranted
Last edited by tetrasodium on Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm

I might suggest in addition to Powerful Build, you also include something like the following:

Heavy Hitter: Despite their size, due to their strength Orcs can effectively wield larger weapons than what other races of similar size can manage. Whenever an Orc uses a weapon with the heavy property, they add 1d4 damage of the same type as their weapon.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Mon May 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I think +1d4 reapplied as a bonus action is way, way too good, tipping the scale in the other direction. The Bardic Inspiration I based this on is a major class feature for the Bard, and they're limited to Cha mod/day until higher levels. No way am I making a racial trait better than a class feature.

Let's compare to the halfling.

Ability score improvement.
Halfling: +2 Dex, +1 Cha or Con
Orc: +2 Str, +1 Con
Comparison: Mostly numberically equal, but halflings are slightly ahead on versatility. Can also be argued that Dex is a better stat than Str.

Size.
Halfling: Small, unable to wield heavy weapons or gain the benefit of a versatile weapons
Orc: Medium, no drawbacks
Comparison: Orc clear winner. Unlike past editions, there is no inherent bonuses to being Small.

Speed.
Halfling: 25
Orc: 30
Comparison: Orc clear winner

Feature.
Halfling: Lucky. 5% chance on every attack roll, check, or save for reroll (This statistically averages out to a +3.33 bonus 5% of the time)
Orc: Passionate. Average of +4.5 (assuming I increase it do d8) once every short rest. Assuming the standard of 2 short rests per day and six encounters per day, as per the DMG, that's a +4.5 once for every two fights. Fights last on average 3 rounds, so that's +4.5 once for every 6 rounds of combat, on average. Lets say, generously, that you make an average of 6 attacks, checks, or saves for every round of combat. That's one +4.5 bonus for every 36 rolls, or 3% of the time.
Comparison: Unlike Lucky, you get to CHOOSE when to use the Passionate bonus, and its +1 higher than Lucky. Additionally, the Lucky bonus can't let you break the bounded limit of your previous roll, while Passionate can propel you higher than you'd normally be able to do. I think d8 Passionate 1/short rest comes out ahead. Orc's the winner.

Feature.
Halfling: Advantage on saves vs. fear.
Orc: Darkvision.
Comparison: I'm willing to say these are equal, but I think the ability to see in the dark is considered one of the most useful racial abilities. I've even heard it suggested that it's better than the variant human bonus feat, although I don't personally agree.

Feature.
Halfling: Move through enemy spaces if they're larger than you.
Orc: Limited Dash (only toward enemy) on 1st turn of every combat.
Comparison: Both of these are minor maneuverability features, but the halfling one has the benefit of being applicable all the time. Halfling wins.

Feature.
Halfling: Choice of being able to hide behind creatures, or resistance and advantage vs poisons
Orc: Powerful Build + Skill proficiency (intimidate or survival, depending).
Comparison: Poison is one of the most resisted abilities in the game and a low level spell makes you completely immune to it. It's not that great a feature. Hiding behind creatures is very useful, but you are not automatically proficient with Stealth. Still, Powerful Build is not that great an ability at all, and the Skill proficiency is nice, but I'm willing to call this one in favor of the Halfling as well.

The result: Orcs 3, Halflings 3, Ties 1

I call that a good day's work.

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm

HawkDiesel wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm
I might suggest in addition to Powerful Build, you also include something like the following:

Heavy Hitter: Despite their size, due to their strength Orcs can effectively wield larger weapons than what other races of similar size can manage. Whenever an Orc uses a weapon with the heavy property, they add 1d4 damage of the same type as their weapon.
In 5e, Large weapons deal double the damage dice of their Medium counterparts. So that ability right there would, in essence, let Orcs crit on all melee weapon attacks that hit, and their actual crits would do quadruple dice damage. Too good.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm

AvonRekaes wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:18 pm
HawkDiesel wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm

In 5e, Large weapons deal double the damage dice of their Medium counterparts. So that ability right there would, in essence, let Orcs crit on all melee weapon attacks that hit, and their actual crits would do quadruple dice damage. Too good.
Sorry, but where do you see any mention of large weapons? Powerful Build does not allow you to use large weapons. It only increases your carrying capacity. And while Heavy Hitter makes mention of effectively using larger weapons, the only mechanical benefit is an extra d4 damage when using weapons with the Heavy property. That would be limited to Maul, Greataxe, Greatsword, Glaive, Halberd, Pike, Heavy Crossbow, and Longbow.

There is actually no rule that describes large weapons in 5e. In the Monster Manual the convention is that monsters/NPCs, deal one additional damage dice per size category above medium, but there is no official mechanic regarding how a character might wield a longsword made for a large creature or if they are even capable of doing so, let alone how attack or damage might be calculated.

The best example for how characters might wield larger weapons if they could is with the Enlarge spell, which does not double the weapon damage but adds a flat 1d4 to the damage.

Once again, my suggestion would only mechanically affect weapons with the heavy property. There is currently no mechanical way for medium size characters to wield large size weapons or deal the associated additional weapon die. Additionally this would have no impact on crits, because per RAW you only add one additional damage dice and thus could not add an additional 1d4 (ie a maul crit would be 2d12+1d4, not 2d12+2d4).

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm

HawkDiesel wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm

There is actually no rule that describes large weapons in 5e.
Incorrect. Per the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 278:

"Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.
A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all."

So, your reference for "larger weapons than normal" can easily be taken as "weapons sized for creatures bigger than Medium", which might be taken as the above, with an extra bonus for weapons that ALSO have the heavy property (larger than normal or otherwise). Also, the ability only narratively works if you have the right equipment? What if you're not wielding a slightly-oversized weapon? Do you get the damage on a regular human-sized greatsword? If so why reference the weapon's size? If it is tied to the weapon, how much more does an "Orc Greatsword" cost compared to a normal one? Can you select it with starting equipment? Does a human have disadvantage for wielding it if they try, even though it's (supposedly) smaller than a greatsword made for an ogre?

Even without this misunderstanding, and with the ability functioning as you intended, an extra +1d4 damage on ALL ATTACKS would be ridiculously broken. The only races off the top of my head that I can think of that get damage bonuses are Aasimar and Goblins, and those are limited to half-level to one attack per round for 1 minute every short rest (more or less every other fight) and level to damage on ONE attack every short rest. A +2 flat bonus to all damage rolls is incredible, and no one looking to play a melee character would ever play anything else.

HawkDiesel
Hobgoblin

Post by HawkDiesel » Mon May 21, 2018 11:49 pm

First of all, thanks for the reference. I tried to find it just to double check, but being at work I didn't have the access to all my resources.

As for the ability as written, plenty of abilities start with "fluff" but then specifically state the mechanics of the ability. Sure, I could have written the fluff part a little more clearly (once again, first draft suggestion written at work), but the ability is pretty clear in that it works for weapons with the Heavy property.

Secondly, I don't personally see the ability being broken. It is powerful, sure. But I think it is also reflective of the weapons I see orcs more typically using and having some extra oompf given that other than perhaps Goliaths and Minotaur, they would represent the largest and strongest of all the available player races. I also see this as being the source/extension of where half-orcs get their Savage Attacks ability (which I also see as weak and I personally house rule that half-orcs get a +1 to damage with melee weapons in addition to the crit bonus since it is a relatively rare occurrence).

Narratively, the ability works no differently than the martial training or racial proficiency of elves and dwarves. Orcish training may not be as much about proficiency in specific weapons, but they are adept at using their strength to their advantage with the heavier weapons.

But even with that said, if you believe it is too powerful you could also limit it to the first attack per turn. Personally, I think your version of the orc is lacking. Compare it to Dragonborn, which are from what I see online are regarded as one of the weaker races. You get a once per short rest ability that does not scale as the breath weapon for dragonborn does, you get a movement ability which is IMO only slightly better than a ribbon ability, Powerful Build which is definitely a ribbon ability unless you really enforce encumberance in your games, and Survival proficiency which is a game dependent skill in terms of power/utility. At least dragonborn get a damage resistance.

Compare this version of the orc to dwarves and elves and the power difference becomes even more stark. As written I would never see a reason to play an orc, and only barely see the resemblance to the half-orc in terms of design. With half-elves we can see some of the elven and human elements. What in the orc gets passed to their half-orc children?

Additionally, while this ability might increase pure damage in some builds and make this race option more desirable, there's plenty of reasons why people might choose a race that have nothing to do with mechanical advantages, or focus on things other than pure damage potential at least. While an extra d4 damage is nothing to sneeze at, I would argue it's not gonna break any tables either. If it helps, you can even make it require a bonus action as a kind of focus or ready maneuver that increases damage for the attack action, putting it in more close equivalency to dual wielding.

tetrasodium
Gnoll

Post by tetrasodium » Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 am

AvonRekaes wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:12 pm
HawkDiesel wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 10:27 pm

There is actually no rule that describes large weapons in 5e.
Incorrect. Per the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 278:

"Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.
A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all."

So, your reference for "larger weapons than normal" can easily be taken as "weapons sized for creatures bigger than Medium", which might be taken as the above, with an extra bonus for weapons that ALSO have the heavy property (larger than normal or otherwise). Also, the ability only narratively works if you have the right equipment? What if you're not wielding a slightly-oversized weapon? Do you get the damage on a regular human-sized greatsword? If so why reference the weapon's size? If it is tied to the weapon, how much more does an "Orc Greatsword" cost compared to a normal one? Can you select it with starting equipment? Does a human have disadvantage for wielding it if they try, even though it's (supposedly) smaller than a greatsword made for an ogre?

Even without this misunderstanding, and with the ability functioning as you intended, an extra +1d4 damage on ALL ATTACKS would be ridiculously broken. The only races off the top of my head that I can think of that get damage bonuses are Aasimar and Goblins, and those are limited to half-level to one attack per round for 1 minute every short rest (more or less every other fight) and level to damage on ONE attack every short rest. A +2 flat bonus to all damage rolls is incredible, and no one looking to play a melee character would ever play anything else.

I'm going to agree with HawkDiesel again. While I'm not sure if I'd say +1d4 tohit on every attack would be "ridiculously broken", I do agree that it would be in the same class as the variant human free feat. Specifically "too attractive" at the very least, that is why I suggested require something along the lines of a bonus action of focusing or whatever to recharge it. Also it's not +4, it's +1d4.

Powerful build is damned near useless as an ability as long as it A has no effect on strength requirements for armor & b there is nothing like monkey grip from 3.5.

I think just about everyone & their dog agrees that the volos Orc is terribad even without the -2 int, but the kobold's -2 str +pack tactics is freaking incredible. My suggestion, -2 charisma on account of being too caught up in their own feelings to really empathize. On top of that -2 cha, give them an awesome ability like the kobold's pack tactics that does work on practically every attack. advantage is generally considered to be about a +5...

tetrasodium
Gnoll

Post by tetrasodium » Tue May 22, 2018 9:23 pm

I know that changelings are good at social stuff, but I was listening to this month's manifest.zone podcast on changelings & an idea hit me.
There are already a ton of +cha races & classes. what if changelings were more like this as either a subtype of changeling:
  • +1 to two different stats of your choice at level 1.
  • speed: 30
  • Duplicity: Proficient with deception
  • Shapechanger: As an action, you can polymorph into any humanoid of your size that you have seen, or back into your true form. However, your equipment does not change with you. If you die, you revert to your natural appearance.
  • Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and two other languages of your choice.
  • Yea that's almost the same as the awful UA changeling so far & worse than the ones suggested... That is intentional.
  • Beginning at level 3 you have absorbed enough knowledge through direct experience & indirect passive telepathy adopt a secondary in order to adopt a secondary persona. This persona has it's own background that may or may not be the same as yours. The two stats with a +1 may be the same or different for this persona. You again gain the ability to maintain a third distinct persona at either level 5
Yes charisma is good for deception, but with the shift from skill points to a proficiency bonus it allows for a changeling to truly differentiate himself as something unique compared to other racesas the different personas start adding up. Convincingly maintaining those personas is often more about being able to walk the walk than deceive. It would make that subtype of changeling less of "a charismatic dexterous guy who can wear different faces" than an ultimate social engineer who can convincingly look like she belongs.

edit: Not sure why I thought it was this month's, just noticed it was from january... oops

AvonRekaes
Troll

Post by AvonRekaes » Wed May 23, 2018 3:51 pm

I'll just point out that +1d8 to any d20 roll every short rest DOES scale with level, because it will always be added ontop of whatever you're rolling and it will always allow you to break the confines of your normally bounded accuracy at whatever level you are.

Also I think I've done enough justification by comparing them to the halfling. If you think the Dragonborn are clearly better than the Orc, then the Dragonborn are clearly better than the halfling, and it sounds like a Dragonborn problem.

Return to “Eberron”