New Dragonmarked Houses

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
T'masD'Mazz
Orc

New Dragonmarked Houses

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 am

In my Eberron there are 19 Dragonmarked Houses:
The new Houses are:

House Kaznirn (a Gnoll House) with the Mark of Training.
House Malsharak ( a Tiefling House) with the Mark of Trade.
House Saa'vhk'ssak (a Lizardfolk, Cobold and Dragonborn House) with the Mark of Memory.
House Tharkann (who survived the War of the Marks) with the Mark of Destruction.
House Val'shatar ( a Goblinoid House) with the Mark of Trust.
House Vol (who survived the Dragon-Elvish crusade) with the Mark of Death.

This mean 18 Dragonmarks.

House Malsharak is the younger house even if her Mark of Trade exists since millennias, a secret jealously protected by the Lords of Dust, who sought to control every bearer of this Mark; Six years before the signing of Thronehold, the Tieflings, junior agents of the Lords of Dust staged a succesfull coup against the Lords of Dust, creating the Kingdom of the Brimston Plains (Ex-Demon Waste), and birthing House Malsharak; The House, reckognized at Thronehold, is estabilishing the Guild of Merchants and that of Negotiators and is helping the Princes of Dust to transform the warring Carrion Tribes in a functioning state. The house banner sports a Nightmare. It's estate is the Brimston Market, near Ashtakala
House Val'shatar is the second youngest house, even if the Mark of Construction appeared beetwen the goblinoid of Dhakaan several millennia ago, but Clan differensces were never set aside until the house declared herself after the rise of Darguun, estabilishing quickly the Guild of Builders and the Guild of Architects. The House Banner sports an Aranea, theyr Estate is the Ever Changing Keep, in Daargun.
The Mark of Training appered in Droaam beetween the Gnolls who will found the Znir Pact and House Kaznirn declared herself just after the Pact was forged; it created the Guild of Trainers, who trains elite units, atlethics, noble scion, and every person who can affort her service. The Galifar Sport Union, which organizes athletic competitions in all the continent, is also chaired by members of house Kaznirn. Theyr estate is in Droaam, in the Gnoll Town of Znir, and its called Hyenas Den, the most effective training facility existing.
The Mark of Memory appeared beetween the scaled tribes of the Jungle of Q'barra before the fall of the Dhakaani Empire; Just before the Last War, the Saa'vhk'ssak tribe was reckognized as a Dragon Marked house; it organizes the Guild of Restorers, the Guild of Teachers and the Circle of Savants. They sport a Sphynx on theyr banner, and theyr estate is First Memory, in Q'barra.
House Vol, bearer of the Mark of Death fled Aerenal in exile, and, in the frozen islands of the North of Lazhaar bid her time; Once Galifar was born, it offered it's services, as undertakers, enbalers and cemetary keepers: the Guild of Undertakers is the principal source of income if the House; The Seekers of Inner Divinity, commonly called the Blood of Vol, is a growing faith linked to this Elvish and Half-Elvish house. Theyr banner sports a Shadow Hound, and they have two estates, one in Karnnath, Earned Rest, and the other is the Red Vault in Lhazaar.
House Tharkann survived the war of the marks, and was reckognized as a true house; The Mark of Destruction is mainly associated with the Guild of Demolitors, withr the Guilt of Lumberjacks, and with the Guild of Miners. Theyr Estate, the Broken Tower is in Sharn; Theyr banner is a Beholder.
Thanks to house Kaznirn, Droaam was actually reckognized as a Nation, in Thronehold.

Feedback is appreciated.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: New Dragonmarked Houses

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 31, 2018 5:08 pm

It's a bit hard to give feedback, when there is not much on your Dragonmarked Houses, apart from one or two sentences.

If you want to make these into options your players might want to use, I think you need to have a look at what is written for the canon Dragonmarked Houses and create the illusion that your new houses have just as much detail.

(I'm not saying you have to write a whole book on them, but you need to have your players be confident that there will be plenty of advice for them, if they choose an option.

Doing stuff with House Vol is going to be interesting. I bet you could get a bunch of adventure hooks out of that. :-)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Thu May 31, 2018 5:41 pm

You are right; but I appreciate feedback on the concepts, too. Do the idea of a Mark of Construction, of a Mark of Trade, of a Mark of Destruction, of a Mark of Memory and of a Mark of Training appeal to you? Do the idea of Droaam and the Demon Waste as reckognized states (with the second organized as one) appeal to you? If not why?

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm

I suppose my question is: what do your new Houses do that the others don't? What niche do they fill? You have a Mark of Trade and that house has two guilds: Merchants and Negotiators. Merchants is a large generalization. What does that guild do? Lyrander and Orien are big on shipping and Cannith on production. Is a Merchant Guild something different? House Sivis, having communication as their big thing, currently handles a lot of negotiations and adjudications. Do they compete with House Malsharak's Negotiators Guild? Similarly I'd question the Mark of Training's niche and reach. How does it compare to the Rekkenmark Academy? Or to Deneith mercenaries? Why would someone use them for training over other martial services?

The Mark of Construction is my biggest qualm, though. It's pretty much Cannith. I mean, Making and Construction are even synonyms and your description suggests that this new house pretty much covers the same things Cannith does. Remember that Cannith is not the House of Magic. House Tharkann I assume is the equivalent of Tarkanan... but isn't aberrant marks now? Why do they have miners instead of Tharashk, traditionally? Is Lumberjacks a big enough business to warrant a whole guild?

I guess I'm just questioning the necessity of these new Houses and Marks. What purpose do they serve? What do they add to the setting?

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am

The Mark of Construction regard masonry, architecture, and buildings; while House Cannith can indulge in that kind of activities, theyr main businness lies in weaponmaking, tinkering and practical magical devices; House Val'sharat builds fortresses, manors, roads, bridges, monuments and even cities; I wanted a Goblinoid Marked House, and since the Dhaakani Empire was famous for it's architecture, I went for the Mark of Construction; It could change it's name in Mark of Building if you think it overlaps too much with Making.

The Mark of Trade handle the fine subtilities of negotiations; the art of bartering and close deals, in which fiends are masters; The Guild of Merchants handle the selling and buying of goods on all Khorvaire and beyond; after closing a deal, they rely on House Sivis to formalize it in contracts; The Guild of Negotiators are called to mediate and settle disputes beetwen two or more paries from noble houses to Nations. The Mark of Trade cover the field of diplomacy and persuasion. I wanted to transform the Demon Wastes in a real nation, and a Dragon Marked Tiefling House was perfect for that goal..

The Mark of Destruction belongs to House Tarkanan, which I mispelled. I simply imagined that, after surviving the War of the Aberrant Marks, House Tarkanan managed to get reckognition as a regular house, and applied his destructive powers to lecit businnes, demolition, mining (House Tharask find the ore, someone needs to mine it) and lumberjacking (which is a big businness indeed, since the need of timber and paper there is in Khorvaire, expecially in industrial Breland and in Zilargo.)

House Deneith deals with Mercenaries; they give soldiers to prople who can pay for them; Rekkenmark forms commanders.
House Kaznirn deals with Trainers; you are a noble scion who wish to learn to fight? You can train with Hose Kaznirn; You want to become a professional Athlete and compete at the games of Thronehold? You can try out with House Kaznirn; The Mark of Training deals with the secrets to enhance the phisical form of other persons (and out themselves) and get the better out of it. They also believe in non-lethal competition, as away to sort out differences and to resolve conflicts; they were the reason the Gnoll Tribes of the Znir Pact managed to settle theyr divergences and pull out theyr demon worshipping practices. I wanted a good reason for Droaam to be included in the Treaty of Thronehold, and I thought Gnolls, which are a sort of unifying power in Droaam, along with the Sisters, were perfect to bear it.

House Saa'vhk'ssak deals with memories, with the past, and with the discovery and the restauration of it's vestiges; It collaborates with various universities and with other houses to pursue its goal; I would add the Guild of Antiquries to theyr businness agencies; I choose a Scalyfolk Drahonmarked House to bear the Mark of Memory, which deals with the uncovering and re-discovering of the past because the importance this peoples gives to the past.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:22 pm

T'masD'Mazz wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:43 am
The Mark of Construction regard masonry, architecture, and buildings; while House Cannith can indulge in that kind of activities, theyr main businness lies in weaponmaking, tinkering and practical magical devices; House Val'sharat builds fortresses, manors, roads, bridges, monuments and even cities; I wanted a Goblinoid Marked House, and since the Dhaakani Empire was famous for it's architecture, I went for the Mark of Construction; It could change it's name in Mark of Building if you think it overlaps too much with Making.
Honestly, I'm not seeing a huge difference here. The house seems to have made a highly-specific niche for itself when it would probably still normally be covered by Cannith's Fabricators Guild and even in part by Kundarak's Warding Guild (for the design of secure facilities and the like). For instance, the Floating Towers of Sharn were a Cannith production. But the mark itself doesn't do anything that Making couldn't. In 3.5, The Mark of Making is perfectly suited to construction of anything. They repair damage, can create and fabricate mass quantities of raw material, and a Siberys Mark just straight up gets True Creation. A new mark that focuses on building architecture seems needlessly specific. In fact, I'd go so far as to say one of the benefits of the current marks is that they have a wide range of applications. The niche markets can usually be filled by two or more Houses cooperating with each other to find creative ways to combine their marks' abilities. The elemental airships are a prime example of this.
T'masD'Mazz wrote:
The Mark of Trade handle the fine subtilities of negotiations; the art of bartering and close deals, in which fiends are masters; The Guild of Merchants handle the selling and buying of goods on all Khorvaire and beyond; after closing a deal, they rely on House Sivis to formalize it in contracts; The Guild of Negotiators are called to mediate and settle disputes beetwen two or more paries from noble houses to Nations. The Mark of Trade cover the field of diplomacy and persuasion. I wanted to transform the Demon Wastes in a real nation, and a Dragon Marked Tiefling House was perfect for that goal..
Devils are the fiends usually associated with deals, I think. The rakshasa that comprise the majority of the Lords of Dust aren't specifically about that and, in fact, are usually very diverse in their specialties, relating to whichever Overlord they serve. A common trait among rakshasa, though, is deception and illusion, as they are natural shapechangers. But more than that, remember that Sivis isn't just about writing, they have communication. They have long-distance communication and translation skills. They're trained in diplomacy and legal matters. Their Speakers Guild "licenses barristers, interpreters, mediators, heralds, and similar professions, occasionally overlapping with the spoken arts of House Phiarlan", according to Dragonmarked. What does the new House do to compete with that? And how does it compete with that? Additionally, The Mark of Trade must compete with Kundarak's Bankers Guild if its house intends to handle buying and selling of goods.
T'masD'Mazz wrote:
The Mark of Destruction belongs to House Tarkanan, which I mispelled. I simply imagined that, after surviving the War of the Aberrant Marks, House Tarkanan managed to get reckognition as a regular house, and applied his destructive powers to lecit businnes, demolition, mining (House Tharask find the ore, someone needs to mine it) and lumberjacking (which is a big businness indeed, since the need of timber and paper there is in Khorvaire, expecially in industrial Breland and in Zilargo.)
Recall that aberrant marks are all meant to be destructive in nature, yes, but that doesn't mean they are all themed around the ability to break down matter. Halas Tarkanan had the power to quake the earth apart, but the Lady of Plague cultivated diseases. No two aberrant marks are going to be particularly alike and building a house with specifics guilds from this is going to be difficult. The current House Tarkanan, though a criminal organization, does a lot of odd jobs, but holds no real authority in any single field. House Tharashk's Finders Guild doesn't just locate the dragonshards, they mine it. They are the dominant prospectors because they can find the dragonshards and want to keep a hold on that industry. If they give up the actual mining, they lose a significant chunk of their power and influence.
T'masD'Mazz wrote:
House Deneith deals with Mercenaries; they give soldiers to prople who can pay for them; Rekkenmark forms commanders.
House Kaznirn deals with Trainers; you are a noble scion who wish to learn to fight? You can train with Hose Kaznirn; You want to become a professional Athlete and compete at the games of Thronehold? You can try out with House Kaznirn; The Mark of Training deals with the secrets to enhance the phisical form of other persons (and out themselves) and get the better out of it. They also believe in non-lethal competition, as away to sort out differences and to resolve conflicts; they were the reason the Gnoll Tribes of the Znir Pact managed to settle theyr divergences and pull out theyr demon worshipping practices. I wanted a good reason for Droaam to be included in the Treaty of Thronehold, and I thought Gnolls, which are a sort of unifying power in Droaam, along with the Sisters, were perfect to bear it.
It's true that Deneith deals in mercenaries, but the Blademarks Guild is one of the foremost martial training programs on Khorvaire. If you intend to train someone, why wouldn't you hire someone from Deneith? Why doesn't Deneith simply provide this sort of option instead of this new house? More than that, the Mark of Training is on Gnolls. Now, I'm all for diversity in the dragonmarked races, but consider that Gnolls are physically pretty different from the majority of humanoid races. That means there'll be a large discrepancy between what they can do compared to their primary customers. And for the monstrous races, if the new house provides yet more martial services... this is another blow to House Tharashk that competes with Deneith over martial services. Training, in martial skills alone, doesn't seem like something that you can build an entire business around.
T'masD'Mazz wrote:
House Saa'vhk'ssak deals with memories, with the past, and with the discovery and the restauration of it's vestiges; It collaborates with various universities and with other houses to pursue its goal; I would add the Guild of Antiquries to theyr businness agencies; I choose a Scalyfolk Drahonmarked House to bear the Mark of Memory, which deals with the uncovering and re-discovering of the past because the importance this peoples gives to the past.
I do find this one fascinating. I think this has some interesting potential, but I'm not yet sure exactly what it does or how.

Overall, I'm simply concerned that these Marks are too niche in most circumstances and the new Houses simply step on the toes of preexisting Houses. I don't feel like anything is gained from these additions except for complexity. If it works for your game, I'm happy, but it stretches my ability to suspend disbelief a bit too far. Perhaps your view of the Houses is something more cooperative than mine and feel like these niche Houses would have been swallowed up by their competition early on.

T'masD'Mazz
Orc

Post by T'masD'Mazz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Now, starting from the bottom, the reason why these houses can actually challange theyr competitors is that they have, in most cases, the baking of whole states; this is expecially true for Val'shatar and Malsharak, which are also the youngest of the houses, My House Tarkanan is actually older than house Tharashk, having extabilished itself at least 4 centuries before Tharashk; so, if nothing they are the one who went and purposed a join venture for mining. Architecture, Design, Decoration, Masonry, Edile Engeenering; I think the niche is quite broad, and overlapping is not a real problem, it happens, anyways; However, in my hopinion, House Cannith works in the relative Micro (Argoth, is, basically, the Helicarrier, Eberron style) it builds tools and vehicles; House Val'sharat works on the relative Macro, building things made to endure and be beautiful and confortable and functional. They are quickly gainining the friendship of House Ghalalnda, building for them better inns and restaurants.
In Eberron, all fiends works for the Rakshasas and theyr overlords, which includes Demons and Devils, like Levistus; and the Lord of Dusts are masters manipulator, masters schemer and masters dealer; all abilities usefull in trade; beside, the Mark will give specific abilities in beguiling and persuading, which is something neither the Mark of Shadows nor the Mark of Writing give. Again a pretty strong advantage is the baking of theyr new nation.
House Kaznirn does not deal only with martial prowless but with phisical fitness and team work; They actually are an old trusted partner of House Tharashk, which sponsored them as a Dragonmarked House. as I said, they operate on a different scale and with different target than House Deneith; I have personally retconned the Znir Pact to predate Galifar, and Gnolls now are actually the more integrated of the monster races. They are reckognized for theyr effectiveness in cohoperation and for theyr fitness, and that is seen as the proof of the ability of House Kaznirn in team-building and training. Basically theyr people are theyr living commercial. And you maybe should reread the bit about athletics and sports; that is a field which do not overlap with Deneith.

Return to “Eberron”