D&D Adventurer's League...does Eberron experiment

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

D&D Adventurer's League...does Eberron experiment

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:51 am

There is an article on the WotC website called: An Exploratory Commencement:
Chris Lindsay at the WotC website wrote:An Exploratory Commencement
By Chris Lindsay - 07/31/2018

The D&D Adventurers League is a great way for players and Dungeon Masters to find new people to play with while interacting with the ongoing storylines published in adventure books released by the D&D team. If you are new to the Adventurers League and would like to know more, check out dndadventurersleague.org. That page has everything you need to know to get started! And now, on to the news shared in a epistolary form by none other than Chris Lindsay.

Eberron has been near and dear to my heart since its initial release in 2004. I love everything about Eberron. Pulp… Noir… the lightning rail… dinosaur-riding halflings… scorpion-riding drow… Dragonmarks… undead legions… and the list goes on and on.

I remember my first campaign in that setting. In that game, the party went everywhere they could possibly explore, but the beating heart of that game was always Sharn. My oldest son Alex played a goblin cleric named Koramaha. Oddly enough he was the ‘talker’ in that group.

They got to about 15th level. I’ll never forget the day Koramaha ventured into the Cogs, looked around at the goblinoids amassed there and asked, “Who’s in charge!” When a brawny-looking bugbear stood up and announced his ascendency to the wily goblin cleric, Koramaha looked him dead in the eye and cast flame strike, obliterating the unsuspecting ‘monarch.’ Thus, Koramaha arose to power and simultaneously ended that campaign as the rest of the party was trampled to death by 10,000 panicking goblinoids.

I was sad when it ended, though we moved on to other campaigns not long after. Ever since then I’ve been looking for an opportunity to revisit Eberron once more.

Since the release of fifth edition in 2014, the D&D Adventurer’s League has released adventures and support for 7 seasons (soon to be 8) in the Forgotten Realms “campaign.” Now, we are interested in adding a new campaign to the roster…

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!

I’m very pleased to announce that shortly after we begin D&D Adventurers League season 8 featuring Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (and I’m totally STOKED about that campaign as well), we will begin a whole new exploratory campaign featuring Eberron. The foundation for this campaign will be the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron. You might ask, “What do I mean by exploratory?” As you can see with the publication of the Wayfinder’s Guide in the Dungeon Master’s Guild, Eberron is a work in progress once more. Rather than fine-tuning this wondrous campaign in a vacuum, we decided to put it out there for you to play with and tell us what YOU want out of Eberron. Think of it like everything else in fifth edition D&D. We want the fans to be able to provide us with feedback to help shape Eberron and the Adventurer’s League campaign that shall accompany it.

In the coming weeks, you can look forward to additional details as the admins and I ramp up our efforts to include the release of not ONE, but TWO brilliant D&D Adventurers League campaigns this Fall. So, buckle on your armor and prepare your spells, and don’t let me catch you sneaking around the Cogs.

Good Gaming!
Chris Lindsay
Master Raconteur & Guildmaster
So this is going to be isolated from Forgotten Realms (unlike DDO).

I'm not sure if they are going to pick up organised play storylines from Xen'drik Expeditions or Mark of Heroes. I think it would be nice if they had some links to the past.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

zontoxira
Planewalker

Re: D&D Adventurer's League...does Eberron experiment

Post by zontoxira » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Is this going to deal with specific areas in Eberron, like with FR's Moonsea and Sword Coast? Are we going to see mini seasons focusing on Eberron, or isolated adventures, meant to playtest mechanics like races, classes, powers etc?
Have a look at my Dark Sun 5e Reconstruction or Planescape 5e Belief System
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:23 pm

This is interesting news. There are a lot of cool 5E products out there (Goodman Fifth Edition Fantasy Modules, Cublcle-7 Adventures in Middle-earth, and so on) that my group has avoided because these products aren't Adventurer's League sanctioned. Making Eberron an AL product is a game-changer. Looks like a dozen or so adventures, to be released one per week.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm

«As you can see with the publication of the Wayfinder’s Guide in the Dungeon Master’s Guild, Eberron is a work in progress once more. Rather than fine-tuning this wondrous campaign in a vacuum, we decided to put it out there for you to play with and tell us what YOU want out of Eberron.»

That is very interesting.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:56 am

I wish that WotC still had its message boards, because I see a flaw in the 5E Eberron material and have no one to report it to.

I'm thinking specifically of the fact that the new Eberron modules will be AL legal, and trying to match this with the new AL guidelines for XP. In the new AL system, which begins in September, a 4-hour module gains one 4 XP. (Okay, they have a different name, but it is essentially a new XP scale.) The docs that I have seen suggest that for levels 1-4 you advance by earning 4 XP each level, and from 5+ it becomes 8 XP per level.

The new Eberron modules are optimized for characters of level 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10 again. Each module is rated at 4 hours. The 0-level one can be ignored for the purposes of this discussion because once you are done with it you throw out those intro characters and start over with level-1 characters.

So … you are 1st level in the first module and earn 4 XP to level up. Then you are 2nd level in the second module and earn another XP to level up. Then 3rd level in the third module, another 4 XP to level up. 4th level in the fourth module to level up. Then the problem occurs. You are 5th level in the fifth module and earn 4 more XP, but this isn't enough to level up. So you are now 5th level again in the sixth module (rated for 6th level characters) and earn 4 more XP to level up. Now you are 6th level in the seventh module (rated for 7th level characters) and another 4 XP does not level you up. Still 6th level in the eighth module (rated for 8th level characters) but this time the 4 XP lets you level up. Now you are 7th level in the ninth module (rated for 9th level characters) and 4 more XP doesn't level you up. Still 7th level in the tenth module (rated for 10th level characters) and 4 XP allows another level-up. Finally you reach 8th level for the eleventh module (still rated for 10th level characters).

The problem clearly is that WotC is setting up modules with pre-determined time ratings, but no additional places to earn XP, so that the later modules are higher rated than the characters can hope to advance. And there are no other AL-legal Eberron adventures that can allow one to do a "side adventure" to gain those additional XP.

Or am I missing something here?
Finarvyn
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:46 pm

finarvyn wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:56 am
I wish that WotC still had its message boards, because I see a flaw in the 5E Eberron material and have no one to report it to.

I'm thinking specifically of the fact that the new Eberron modules will be AL legal, and trying to match this with the new AL guidelines for XP. In the new AL system, which begins in September, a 4-hour module gains one 4 XP. (Okay, they have a different name, but it is essentially a new XP scale.) The docs that I have seen suggest that for levels 1-4 you advance by earning 4 XP each level, and from 5+ it becomes 8 XP per level.
Keith Baker does have an account here, and does surf by from time to time. He writes under the name HellcowKeith and last surfed by on the 19th of June.

But, to my untrained eye, what you are talking about seems to be an issue with D&D Adenturer's League, rather than a problem specifically with Eberron. Most of the content on DMs Guild, for Eberron, is probably going to be standard D&D content.
finarvyn wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:56 am
The new Eberron modules are optimized for characters of level 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10 again. Each module is rated at 4 hours. The 0-level one can be ignored for the purposes of this discussion because once you are done with it you throw out those intro characters and start over with level-1 characters.

So … you are 1st level in the first module and earn 4 XP to level up. Then you are 2nd level in the second module and earn another XP to level up. Then 3rd level in the third module, another 4 XP to level up. 4th level in the fourth module to level up. Then the problem occurs. You are 5th level in the fifth module and earn 4 more XP, but this isn't enough to level up. So you are now 5th level again in the sixth module (rated for 6th level characters) and earn 4 more XP to level up. Now you are 6th level in the seventh module (rated for 7th level characters) and another 4 XP does not level you up. Still 6th level in the eighth module (rated for 8th level characters) but this time the 4 XP lets you level up. Now you are 7th level in the ninth module (rated for 9th level characters) and 4 more XP doesn't level you up. Still 7th level in the tenth module (rated for 10th level characters) and 4 XP allows another level-up. Finally you reach 8th level for the eleventh module (still rated for 10th level characters).

The problem clearly is that WotC is setting up modules with pre-determined time ratings, but no additional places to earn XP, so that the later modules are higher rated than the characters can hope to advance. And there are no other AL-legal Eberron adventures that can allow one to do a "side adventure" to gain those additional XP.

Or am I missing something here?
I didn't see any of that in Chris Lindsay's announcement. I'm wondering if you got it from a document I've not yet seen.

But, assuming you are right (and that you have not missed something) there must be some sort of way for D&D Adventurer's League members to content Chris Lindsay.

Perhaps they would like to have Eberron side-treks, but just have not put them in place yet.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:46 pm

What I have been looking at isn't in Chris Lindsay's announcement, but instead is from something that is specific to AL. Starting in September they plan to redo the XP method in AL so that leveling up is a function of play time instead of just monster kills. I think that this is a key element in the new hardback on Waterdeep that WotC is releasing, since they want to reward all styles of play and not just the "murder hobo" style. I believe that the new system is a variant of one given in Xanathar's Guide.

Basically, a 2-hour module earns two XP. (Again, they gave it a different name but I'd have to look it up.) A 4-hour module is 4 XP, a 8-hour module is 8 XP. This is based on the module's RATING and not actual time spent. You can opt to play in "slow mode" and earn half XP if you want to level up more slowly and play longer in the lower tier adventures.

Then the doc said that it takes 4 XP to advance in levels through level 4, then 8 XP for each level thereafter.

Again, this is for AL play only. What concerns me is that WotC is saying "here is Eberron for AL" and then the modules don't seen to fit the AL rules. :(

EDIT: More info on this can be found at http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/ch ... ue-rewards
Finarvyn
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion

finarvyn
Gnoll

Post by finarvyn » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:36 am

Okay, so now I'm hearing that the "Encounters in Sharn" PDF is not only 5E, but may be also AL compatible. I think it's a bunch of extra encounters, and that might be what's needed in order to boost XP at the higher leveled modules. Still looking into it; will report back. :)
Finarvyn
OD&D Player Since 1975
Original D&D Discussion

Return to “Eberron”