Sidebar: Aberrant Dragonmarks

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Sidebar: Aberrant Dragonmarks

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 am

Keith Baker has an article up on his website called: Sidebar: Aberrant Dragonmarks that you might want to take a look at.

Here is a quote from the start, to tempt you over: ;)
Keith Baker at keithbaker.com wrote:Sidebar: Aberrant Dragonmarks
Posted on May 6, 2019

The twelve dragonmarks are tied to specific bloodlines and passed down through families. They are reliable and predictable, and their powers are constructive. They create; they heal; they protect. But there is another kind of dragonmark: marks that are unpredictable and dangerous to both the bearer and the people around them.

Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, page 111

I’ve talked about aberrant dragonmarks before, including this dragonmark article and this canon Dragonshard article. But I wanted to take a moment to talk about the evolution of aberrant dragonmarks and the role they’re intended to play in the setting.

From the beginning, the idea was that the aberrant dragonmarks are in essence the direct opposite of the “true” dragonmarks… that if the pure marks are believed to be a blessing from Siberys, the aberrant marks are the cursed touch of Khyber. A few critical points…
What he says here is different to what was said back in Eberron Campaign Setting. He explains why at the end of his article.

Here is an earlier article he wrote about aberrant dragonmarks, that also might interest you: Eberron Flashback: Aberrant Dragonmarks

What do you think?

Have you been running aberrant dragonmarks the old way or the new way? Has Keith convinced you to switch the way you run them?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Sidebar: Aberrant Dragonmarks

Post by Tim Baker » Sat May 11, 2019 12:50 am

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing that. It made me curious about what type of negative consequence an aberrant dragonmark granting feather fall might be. That's offered as a possible power granted by an aberrant dragonmark, but I struggle to think of the down side when it manifests.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 am

Ideas:

1. When it isn't manifesting, you are twice as heavy, and can carry half as much gear.

2. You have a tendency to blow away in a slight breeze.

3. Your mass is reduced for a period of time after; consequently damage from strength based attacks is reduced.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun May 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Beoric wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:06 am
Ideas:

1. When it isn't manifesting, you are twice as heavy, and can carry half as much gear.

2. You have a tendency to blow away in a slight breeze.

3. Your mass is reduced for a period of time after; consequently damage from strength based attacks is reduced.
These are clever. Thanks for sharing them!

Return to “Eberron”