Keith Baker announces Project Raptor

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Keith Baker announces Project Raptor

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:54 pm

This went up on Keith Baker's blog today: Announcing Project Raptor
Keith Baker on keith-baker.com wrote:Announcing Project Raptor

Discover the unexplored Eberron…

KB Presents is pleased to announce a brand new Eberron sourcebook coming to PDF and print-on-demand hardcover for the Dungeon Masters Guild! Written by Eberron creator and designer Keith Baker, Project “Raptor” expands upon Eberron as only Keith is able to, including never-before-explored areas of the setting.

This 160+ page book is slated for a late 2019 release, with exact launch date to be determined. Keith’s writing will be accompanied by illustrations from a range of talented artists, and supported by a dedicated team of professionals for editing, layout, and project management.

A design diary on the KB Presents Facebook page will provide project updates, spotlights on the team, and teasers of the work-in-progress, as well as features from Keith’s blog (www.keith-baker.com).

At the mandate of the hat, we hope you are as excited as we are compelled to be, and we look forward to bringing you more Eberron in the near future!
What is Project Raptor? From the moment Eberron was released, there have been places and things I’ve wanted to explore in more depth—things that intrigue me, but were never fully explored in the official sourcebooks. Ever since Eberron was unlocked in the DM’s Guild, I’ve been looking forward to the opportunity to finally dig deeper into some of my favorite topics. The book will be released late this year, and I’ll talk more about the specifics over the next few months, but I’ll give one example now. For me, one of the intriguing elements of Eberron is its planes. Whether you view it in absolute isolation from the Great Wheel or consider it to be a shielded reality, Eberron has its own unique planar cosmology. Aside from the possibility of planar travel, manifest zones and coterminous periods allow the planes to influence adventures at all levels of plane. And yet, over the course of fifteen years, we’ve never explored the planes of Eberron in enough depth to fully support that potential. Project Raptor will dig deeper than ever before, finally exploring the potential of the planes. Here you can see two of the pieces of art commissioned for the book. This is the Amaranthine City, the heart of both Irian and Mabar—an immortal city that embodies both hope and despair.

KB Presents is the work of myself and Wayne Chang—one of my cohosts on the Manifest Zone podcast and the mastermind behind the Across Eberron adventure path. I’m writing the content for Project Raptor, while Wayne is coordinating production and physical design, including a legion of amazing artists. As noted in the announcement, we’ll be spotlighting those artists and their amazing work in the months ahead, as well as revealing other subjects covered in Project Raptor.

To be absolutely clear: Project Raptor is NOT an official sourcebook. Unlike the Wayfinder’s Guide to Eberron, this is being produced by KB Presents alone and will not be supported by Wizards of the Coast. This is your glimpse into my Eberron; it will be released on the DM’s Guild, and available in print on demand.

Eberron awaits, and I look forward to exploring it together!
From the sound of it, I'd say that Project Raptor (or whatever they end up calling it) is going to be as different from normal Eberron books as Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms was from the Realms books that WotC designed.

I'm going to look forward to seeing what hints a previews come out on the KB Presents page.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Keith Baker announces Project Raptor

Post by Havard » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Wow, that is really cool!

I hope other authors will do something like this as well. Do we know where the name Project Raptor comes from?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:57 am

Havard wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 pm
Wow, that is really cool!

I hope other authors will do something like this as well.
It would be good. :)

The only people who could do this are Ed Greenwood (who has already done stuff for the Realms), Tracy Hickman (for Ravenloft) or maybe designers who worked on Forgotten Realms subsettings (Al-Qadim, Maztica, Kara-Tur etc).

Keith Baker invests a ton of time into Eberron. I'm not sure any other D&D designer can match that, except maybe Bruce Heard (who has not got DMs Guild access to Mystara).
Havard wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:10 pm
Do we know where the name Project Raptor comes from?
All I know is what is written above.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:25 pm

This is pretty exciting. I am looking forward to the release of the book.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm

An artist who goes by Ollie Art on Facebook has put up a picture called "Graywall".

It looks like a mindflayer surrounded by some sort of energy shield, floating above a crowded city street at night.

Some of what Keith Baker spoke about looks like some sort of Planescape/Eberron mashup setting. So I don't know if that painting is supposed to be on Eberron itself, or one of it's planes.

Does anyone remember anything called "Graywall" in Eberron canon?

Starglim
Orc

Post by Starglim » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm
Does anyone remember anything called "Graywall" in Eberron canon?
It's a slightly more survivable free-town in eastern Droaam. WotC expanded it a bit in online Dragon #368.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm

The mind flayer is probably Xorchylic, the governor of Graywall.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 am

Project Raptor has now been revealed to be named Exploring Eberron. He gave some hints about the contents at Dragoncon, which you can find in podcasts:

https://manifest.zone/dragon-con-2019-panel-topics/

https://manifest.zone/dragon-con-2019-e ... h-edition/

Return to “Eberron”