When is each edition set?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

When is each edition set?

Post by Havard »

What year is the 3E Eberron material set? Does 4E and 5E Eberron advance the timeline?

Are any other RPG or non RPG products set in different time periods of Eberron?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Re: When is each edition set?

Post by lookatroopa »

All game materials take place in 998 YK. Some novels take place elsewhen, but their events are generally considered noncanonical to the core setting.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

lookatroopa wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:54 pm
All game materials take place in 998 YK. Some novels take place elsewhen, but their events are generally considered noncanonical to the core setting.
Thanks for the quick response! :)

What about the D&D Online game?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

lookatroopa wrote:
I thought that there was something set in the era of The Last War (or at least heavily influenced by it). But my Eberron-fu is now as good as I would like it to be.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

lookatroopa wrote:
Given that they all take place at the same point in time, do they try to explain the edition-by-edition differences? Are the differences meant to be hand-waved away? Is it more of a "Your Eberron Will Vary" approach, like they've taken with the cause of the Day of Mourning?

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Post by lookatroopa »

Havard wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:49 pm
What about the D&D Online game?
I don't think it's explicitly called out, but there's nothing I can think of indicating DDO's Eberron is ahead of the core setting, though considering it's primarily set on Xen'drik rather than the more central-to-the-setting Khorvaire they might've been specifically avoiding setting timeline stuff in stone.
Big Mac wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 pm
I thought that there was something set in the era of The Last War (or at least heavily influenced by it). But my Eberron-fu is now as good as I would like it to be.
Chapter 4 of The Forge of War does give material for Last War era play, though the book is primarily meant as background information.
Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:13 am
Given that they all take place at the same point in time, do they try to explain the edition-by-edition differences? Are the differences meant to be hand-waved away? Is it more of a "Your Eberron Will Vary" approach, like they've taken with the cause of the Day of Mourning?
I'm not sure how 4E's Eberron was framed, but with 5E they explain differences as being the result of "looking at different parts of the setting", and that there shouldn't be anything plain contradictory. The only bit of discontinuity I can think of is 4E Eberron's inclusion of Baator, it's up in the air whether Keith Baker's take on it from Dragon #408 is canon or if the plane's gone entirely.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

lookatroopa wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:59 pm
I'm not sure how 4E's Eberron was framed, but with 5E they explain differences as being the result of "looking at different parts of the setting", and that there shouldn't be anything plain contradictory. The only bit of discontinuity I can think of is 4E Eberron's inclusion of Baator, it's up in the air whether Keith Baker's take on it from Dragon #408 is canon or if the plane's gone entirely.
The answer to that question determines whether you can (canonically) port Descent Into Avernus to Eberron. ;)

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:11 pm
lookatroopa wrote:
I had also heard this. SEVERAL people much more knowledgeable about the setting than I told me during the 4e era that the clock was wound back, similar but more drastically than what they did in Dark Sun because it took them before the setting had even really been established back to the war. All settings had some sort of time shift at the start of 4e. What they spoke about with Dragonlance (the gods in the the 4e dragon books) ignored the War of Souls, Dark Sun lost a decade, anecdotal evidence that Planescape could have advanced as much as 1000 years (that was when the blood war ended), and of course Forgotten Realms advanced about 100 years; so it would fit the narrative they were trying to push at the time. I remember there even being a discussion about it on the old WotC forums before they were wiped. I have never cared much for the setting, so didn't follow things too closely, but its just my recollections.
-apotheot

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

apotheot wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 am
SEVERAL people much more knowledgeable about the setting than I told me during the 4e era that the clock was wound back, similar but more drastically than what they did in Dark Sun because it took them before the setting had even really been established back to the war.
I'm not an expert on the setting either. I have the 4e books, which I used for the new rules options, and not the actual setting. I just read the introductory chapter, and there's nothing about playing during the Last War. Here's part of the introduction to campaign themes in Chapter 1:
Eberron Campaign Guide wrote: Less than two years have passed since the signing of the Treaty of Thronehold. All living residents of Khorvaire were molded by their experiences during the war. Even those who never experienced direct combat were shaped by the actions they undertook in support, or in defiance, of the raging war.

Across Khorvaire, trust is as rare as a soldier without scars. Citizens of border towns see Cyran refugees and turn away, afraid that these displaced wanderers bring with them the doom of their dead nation. When they see adventurers, warforged, and goblin or dragon born mercenaries walking the streets, they remember afresh the horrors of war.

Any EBERRON campaign should at least touch on the theme of the Last War and its impact on the lives of the player characters in the past, if not the present. When you start your campaign, discuss with your players what their characters did during the war, and when you create major nonplayer characters for your game, consider the same question.
Last edited by Tim Baker on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 am
I just read the introductory chapter, and there's nothing about playing during the Last War.
After I posted that comment, I found a couple paragraphs in a sub-section on the Last War that gives the option to run a game during the war. It's in a section that talks about using flashbacks to run a single session during the Last War, set the adventure during that time, or use time travel to go back to the Last War. While this isn't the default, and the book is clearly referring to nations that were formed after the Last War, it does get this small mention.
Eberron Campaign Guide wrote: You can set the characters down in the middle of a major historical battle, allowing them to experience the carnage firsthand. You could just as easily cast them as spies and saboteurs, working to infiltrate the borders of a rival nation or the inner levels of an enemy stronghold. Perhaps the characters are trying to discover what a general’s plans are, or they’re working to free prisoners of war, or they’re attempting to destroy a creation forge, an eldritch machine, or a lightning rail route.

The characters might be state-employed adventurers, seeking to discover and retrieve ancient lore or powerful magic items or rituals before the enemy does. They might be guards, accompanying an ambassador or military leader through hostile territory, or standing sentinel on a hidden pass through their nation’s borders.

Return to “Eberron”