Does Rising From the Last War make the Wayfarer's Guide Obsolete?

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Does Rising From the Last War make the Wayfarer's Guide Obsolete?

Post by Havard »

Is the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron still useful to people wanting to run a 5E game in the setting if they have Rising from the Last War?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Doc Necrotic
Gnoll

Re: Does Rising From the Last War make the Wayfarer's Guide Obsolete?

Post by Doc Necrotic »

From what I heard, they are supposedly going to update the document, making it a sort of digital equivalent. I'd have to dig sources, so it's not just rumor.
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Doc Necrotic wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:05 am
From what I heard, they are supposedly going to update the document, making it a sort of digital equivalent. I'd have to dig sources, so it's not just rumor.
That would be very helpful! It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of the two, especially if there are things that are found in the Wayfarer's Guide that aren't in the print book, that would be cool to know about :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:31 pm
Is the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron still useful to people wanting to run a 5E game in the setting if they have Rising from the Last War?
It's hard to say.

Jeremy Crawford said that you get everything in Ebberon: Rising from the Last War that you get in Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron...

...but Mike Mearls said that "If we do an Eberron print product, we will design it to complement as much as possible what the PDF presents."

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

The books can not complement each other if Rising from the Last War duplicates Wayfarer's Guide.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

When the Eberron book was released, they updated the Wayfinder's Guide. For DMs, I would recommend the new book. But for a casual player, the Wayfinder's Guide has you covered.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

According to D&D Beyond, Rising From the Last War has all the same player content as Wayfinder's Guide. It also has DM content that Wayfinder's Guide lacks. However, the prose in the books is different, since Wayfinder's Guide was written by Keith Baker. Some people prefer Wayfinder's Guide's writing, but in terms of mechanics, there doesn't appear to be much reason to pick it up if you have Rising From the Last War.

ScrivenerofDoom
Orc

Post by ScrivenerofDoom »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm
Havard wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:31 pm
It's hard to say.

Jeremy Crawford said that you get everything in Ebberon: Rising from the Last War that you get in Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron...

...but Mike Mearls said that "If we do an Eberron print product, we will design it to complement as much as possible what the PDF presents."

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

The books can not complement each other if Rising from the Last War duplicates Wayfarer's Guide.
1. Statements by Messrs Crawford and Mearls are almost always mutually exclusive/complete contradictions.
2. For once, Mike Mearls was right. This is really, really, really unusual. My money is normally on Jeremy.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

Having read both, IMO WGtE is generally superior. RftLW incorporates nearly the whole of Keith's text from WGtE, with a certain amount of bowdlerization (I am relatively certain there was a directive to remove any colonial elements) and effectively removing Keith's voice. The new content is generally inferior to anything Keith writes off the cuff when he is answering questions, and some of it misses the point, or contradicts other content. In fact, a lot of the "new" content is repetition of content elsewhere in the book, like covering gnomes in both the "gnome" section and the "Zilargo" section.

I think the Artificer is new, and I don't mind the Soldorak dwarves experimenting with daelkyr magic, which makes sense based on what we already know about the destruction of the deep dwarves, Noldrunhome and the Soldarak clan. [EDIT: there are also some new creature and NPC stat blocks.] But Councillor Hruit of Sharn is now a giant owl instead of a druid? The merchants of the Bazaar thought that was the best way to represent their interests? And 300' tall warforged colossi aka Eberron with mechas? Not a fan.

RftLW covers Eberron with a generic, Forgotten Realms-like veneer. As an introduction to the lore of Eberron, it is really poor. Which is dumb, because people who want to play FR can already play FR. I have mixed feelings about whether I want people to buy it, because on the one hand I want WotC to continue supporting Eberron, but on the other I can't see this product attracting anyone new to the setting. Sorry, Keith, I know you were one of the lead designers, but in WGtE you were the only lead designer and that was a better product.

Which is why I'm really looking forward to Exploring Eberron. Seriously, I can't wait.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Beoric wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 am
RftLW covers Eberron with a generic, Forgotten Realms-like veneer. As an introduction to the lore of Eberron, it is really poor. Which is dumb, because people who want to play FR can already play FR.
That was a super helpful review, Beoric. Thanks for taking the time to share those details.

Unfortunately, if you want the text from WGtE, but you also want the full Artificer class, then you'd have to buy both books.

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:58 am
Unfortunately, if you want the text from WGtE, but you also want the full Artificer class, then you'd have to buy both books.
You get most of the text from WGtE if you buy RftLW, you just lose the flavour. So if you already know the setting well but want to play 5e, I would get RftLW. If you aren't playing 5e, just get WGtE.

If you don't know the setting well, but want to play 5e Eberron, you need RftLW and something else. You could get WGtE, but may get more bang for your buck from the Eberron Campaign Setting (3e) or the Eberron Gampaign Guide (4e), both of which are solid introductions with more detail than RftLW.

Return to “Eberron”