Core novels

Prophesised by dragons...tempered by magic...forged in war...
The Book-House: Find Eberron products.
finarvyn
Bugbear

Core novels

Post by finarvyn »

I don't want a list of 30 novels or anything like that, but I would like to know if there are any suggested "core" novels that I could read in order to get a better feel for the Eberron setting? I'd like to read a short list.

My son said he would loan me the "War Torn" books (he has four: "Crimson Talisman", "The Orb of Xoriat", "In the Claws of the Tiger", and "Blood and Honor") so it would be really cool if those happened to be the best ones, but I don't mind tracking down other books if they are a better starting point.
Finarvyn
Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
OD&D Discussion player Since 1975
I'm partly responsible for the S&W White Box

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: Core novels

Post by RobJN »

Posts on Reddit seem to lean towards The Heirs of Ash and the Thorn of Breland trilogy. Another post-er says that pretty much anything by Baker Himself or Don Bassingthwaite is usually highly praised.

(I haven't read any of the Eberron books, but Bassingthwaite wrote a couple of the (awesomely titled If Whispers Call and By Dust Consumed) Dark•Matter books for Alternity, and they were pretty good)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Beoric
Ogre

Post by Beoric »

Keith Baker and Don Bassingthwaite are both better than average pulp fantasy authors. For each of them, the second trilogy is better than the first.

Dreaming Dark trilogy - Keith Baker
The City of Towers: set in Sharn
The Shattered Land: set in Xen'drik (I think)
The Gates of Night: Dal Quor?

Thorn of Breland trilogy - Keith Baker
The Queen of Stone: set in Droaam. My personal favourite.
Son of Khyber: Sharn again, I think
The Fading Dream: The Mournland, and a Feyspire. Good inspiration for how the fey are portrayed, and how the prophecy might work.

The Dragon Below trilogy - Don Bassingthwaite: Lots of stuff in the Shadow Marches, IIRC

The Legacy of Dhakaan - Don Bassingthwaite: Definitive description of Darguun and Dhakanni culture

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

finarvyn wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:04 pm
I don't want a list of 30 novels or anything like that, but I would like to know if there are any suggested "core" novels that I could read in order to get a better feel for the Eberron setting? I'd like to read a short list.
I'm in the same boat as you (wondering which Eberron novels are the most important ones.

But there are not too many of them (compared to Forgotten Realms novels and Dragonlance novels). I think the novel line is even slightly smaller than the Greyhawk novel line.

Eberron Wiki has a list of (Eberron) novel series that might help you (not because it shows all the Eberron novels, but because it can let you know if a novel you are thinking about getting is a standalone book or part of a trilogy).
finarvyn wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:04 pm
My son said he would loan me the "War Torn" books (he has four: "Crimson Talisman", "The Orb of Xoriat", "In the Claws of the Tiger", and "Blood and Honor") so it would be really cool if those happened to be the best ones, but I don't mind tracking down other books if they are a better starting point.
Eberron Wiki has a list of Eberron novels in chronological order, if you want to see where your son's novels fit into the product line.

I've actually made myself an Eberron novel wishlist. Every so often I go looking around to see if I can pick up any cheap novels. If I can get two of the novels in a trilogy cheap, and the other at full price, that makes it easier for me to get hold of a full story.

Good luck finding the novels you want!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Eberron”