Dhanurvidya & Varman: The Arms & Armor of India

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Dhanurvidya & Varman: The Arms & Armor of India

Post by Big Mac »

Skirmisher Publishing have a 64 page 4th Edition D&D PDF called Dhanurvidya & Varman: The Arms & Armor of India (4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons) that might be useful to GMs running games in a fantasy version of India or fantasy settings based on cultures in or close to India:
Skirmisher Publishing at DriveThru RPG wrote:Dhanurvidya & Varman: The Arms & Armor of India (4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons)
From Skirmisher Publishing

Licensed for use with the 4th Edition of the Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game, this fully-illustrated supplement contains more than 70 new powers; full descriptions and statistics for 24 weapons and 20 items of armor or shields; two new weapon groups; and a section on familiar weapons that might appear in an Indian milieu.

While a few arms and armor items from India appear in traditional D&D campaigns, the region's rich and colorful variety of ancient and medieval armaments are largely unknown in most campaign settings. Such arms and armor can be used both to enhance the action of a traditional campaign and to punctuate the distinct, exciting adventures and characters possible in settings inspired by the vast region.

This book contains information about the weapons used throughout the Indian subcontinent - to include what are now the nations of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, along with the border regions of Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma, Nepal, and Tibet - from the most ancient times right up to the pre-Colonial era. It also considers significant influences on the arms and armor of India, such as the 900-year Muslim domination of the region that began in the 7th century A.D.
There is a 5 page preview (that includes the contents page) if you want to figure out more).

I was wondering if this might be useful with a setting like Mahasarpa. But the book is written for 4e, while Mahasarpa was written for 3e, so a bit of converting might be required.

I guess someone might also want to hack together some sort of Indian-inspired Points of Light world. :)

Does anyone know of any Indian-like campaign settings that run under 4e rules?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Dhanurvidya & Varman: The Arms & Armor of India

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:31 pm
I was wondering if this might be useful with a setting like Mahasarpa. But the book is written for 4e, while Mahasarpa was written for 3e, so a bit of converting might be required.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Mahasarpa to know whether this content would integrate well with the setting. I would need to compare notes with someone who was better versed with it to have any chance of making that determination.
Big Mac wrote:
I guess someone might also want to hack together some sort of Indian-inspired Points of Light world. :)
That's a cool idea. I wonder how well the Points of Light concept would work with traditional Indian myths, such as those found in the Indian epics.
Big Mac wrote:
Does anyone know of any Indian-like campaign settings that run under 4e rules?
I don't recall anything like this coming out for 4e. I would be interested in such a setting, but I'd want to make sure it was sensitive to Indian culture. I've thought about running an Indian-themed game for my employees from time to time, but I'm intimidated by the risk of getting it wrong. I might have good intentions, but that's little consolation if I step on someone else's beliefs.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon »

I love indian settings, or just the arms & armor even...but 4e is the edition least played for me (although I'd have played it more had players wanted to), so I've got not much to say

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

genghisdon wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:18 am
I love indian settings, or just the arms & armor even...but 4e is the edition least played for me (although I'd have played it more had players wanted to), so I've got not much to say
The armor section of the book is mostly system agnostic, explaining what types of armor are available in an Indian-themed setting and how to map new setting-specific armor types to existing armors (sometimes with modifications).

However, the weapon section is quite system-specific, offering new feats and new multiclass feat chains that allow you to specialize deeply in a weapon, trading out your class powers for the weapon-specific powers. It's an interesting approach, and one that appears to have game balance in mind.

I thought I'd share that here to confirm that there would be less value picking up this book if you don't run 4e or at least have enough familiarity with the system that you'd be comfortable converting material from it.

genghisdon
Bugbear

Post by genghisdon »

merci!

Return to “Oriental Adventures”